PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a Fountain Pen Geek when...

Pages : [1] 2

eriquito
February 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
...you hear, "I've got ink," and tattoos don't even cross your mind.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

Kelly G
March 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
...you always notice what pen clips are showing from people's pockets (and can identify them).

...the first thing you do in any meeting is take a quick scan around the table to see if anyone happens to be using a fountain pen.

dannzeman
March 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
...you coordinate the FPs you'll be using for the day with the outfit you're wearing. (was that too much? sorry :o)

Shangas
March 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
You can say "I have a 1922 Wahl Art Deco lever-filler with a 14kt gold-filled barrel with Greek Key pattern on it and the pen writes with a #5 semiflexible nib which is currently using Noodler's Ottoman Azure" and not laugh.

...because that pen is mine.

- Your hands are covered in ink.
- Your desk is covered in ink.
- If your pens were money, you could retire.
- You have more pens on your desk than things for them to write on.
- You pause films to see what kinds of fountain pens actors are writing with.
- You rotate your pens more often than your clothes.
- You freak out when someone says that you have a nice "ink pen" ("Thanks. I also had a great chickenbird wheatbread sandwich with fizzy brown beer for lunch and a sweet brown chocolate cake for dessert").
- If you left home with two pens, you know you've still left at least one more than you need, behind on your desk.
- You find an old, broken chopstick and think: "Maybe this would make a great punch for a knockout block..."
- You find old bottles and jars and wonder how nicely these would work as inkwells.
- Your eyes light up when you see fountain pens being sold cheaply at flea-markets/thrift shops, etc.
- When you lose a fountain pen, you're inconsolable for days. You go to the nearest pen shop to pay your respects to the drippy departed.
- You insist that used blotting-paper has great potential as abstract art. You frame it and put it on your walls.

dannzeman
March 15th, 2010, 05:48 PM
...you're looking for a job and see the position "Ink Technician" and immediately think you'll be mixing new inks for fountain pens.

bdpatton2
March 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
when every night before bed you obsess over pens on ebay.

dannzeman
March 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM
when every night before bed you obsess over pens on ebay.
Dude I've been doing that for the last year. Welcome to the club.

Sent from my htc HERO using Tapatalk

Okami
March 31st, 2010, 05:24 AM
Ok, I can't top this Shangas covered them all, LOL!

eriquito
March 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Obsess over pens on eBay before bed? Ha!

Am I the only one who sets alarms in the middle of the night so as not to miss the end of an eBay pen auction? :-|

Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 12:11 PM

Am I the only one who sets alarms in the middle of the night so as not to miss the end of an eBay pen auction? :-|

Eric

Son of Ragnar
I've never done that before. If I cant stay awake for the auction I'll just put in my highest bid before I go to sleep and whatever happens happens.

What pens have you woken up in the middle of the night to bid on?

Sent from my htc HERO using Tapatalk

eriquito
March 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
I don't care for placing my highest bid and then seeing how things turn out. It's much more exciting to snipe! And honestly, my "highest bid" usually goes up in the heat of the moment.

I've gotten up in the middle of the night mostly for vintage Italian pens =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Ok, to get this thread back on topic (good job eriquito! ;) )
...you get depressed when you haven't written with a FP for at least 3 days.

Okami
March 31st, 2010, 05:56 PM
Ooooo. Who can go three days!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Ooooo. Who can go three days!?!

It's not like I was trying. It just happened.

Back on topic:
You know you're a fountain pen geek when you write out the alphabet several times because you can't think of anything meaningful to write just so you can feel the nib interact with the paper.

Sent from my DAMAGEDHERO200 using Tapatalk

eriquito
April 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
...you completely forget that you've scheduled the car for service this morning because you're too engrossed in the Fountain Pen Geeks forum!

Gotta run! See you via Tapatalk =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
...you spend all day writing letters just to use your pens (and you change pen and ink with each page)!

dannzeman
April 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
...you try to describe the colors you just painted your bedroom in with names of ink.

Okami
April 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
...you scrub your hands at least once a day to remove all the ink

tytoalba
April 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
have an ink filling station at kitchen sink.

eriquito
April 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
...new ink comes in the mail and you can't help but take a picture =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Okami
April 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
...new ink comes in the mail and you can't help but take a picture =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

I had to smile at this one

Okami
April 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
...when you acquire a new pen you just have to ink it to try it out and suddenly you realize that you have WAY too many pens inked

Okami
April 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
...as your pen collection grows you buy storage cases to protect them and then you buy more pens to fill the empty slots resulting in the need for more pen storage and again more empty slots to fill

SProctor
April 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Here's a couple that come to mind. How about:

- Absolutely refuse to share your pens with a friend, co-worker or even your boss...
- Tell your buddies or a girlfriend that you can't go out because you had planned to stay home and flush, fill or try-out a new pen(s)...
- Spend more than an hour or two trying to locate where you put that special pen...
- Wish they would start making pocket protectors again....
- Refuse to use a certain pen because of the type of the paper thats available.

Very Best Regards,

Stephen

Wile E Coyote
April 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
You can tell Sproctor where to buy pocket protectors (http://store.officeworld.com/product.asp?ShellID=137|80|219|33|38|75|89|10|55|2 36|244|241|219|176|92|97|9|127|179|60|214|84|26|90 |200|23|50|165|74|76|52|57|24|15|214|187|217|168&ProductID=ESSJM42003&VendorID=1&HiddenShoppingLists=&HiddenCustomerLists=&CartType=&FileID=&gclid=COzmn-b0gaECFcN05QodzCoQvg)...

eriquito
April 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
You can tell Sproctor where to buy pocket protectors...

Too funny, Wile E!

And I don't want to get off-topic (which I'm very good at), but I have to know...

Did you know where to buy them off the top of your head or did you have to look for 'em? =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Wile E Coyote
April 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I did look that one up but I'm not ashamed to admit that I own several and actually use one every day at work.

Rabbit
April 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
...you got back into the house when you're leaving for work in the morning because you remembered that your pen ran out of ink yesterday and you need to refill it so you don't have to use a ballpoint from the office's supply the rest of the day.

or for those who are not quite as bad procrastinators
...the last thing you do before you go to bed is make sure you have plenty of ink in the pen that you plan to use the next day.

--Stephen

Kelly G
April 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
...you got back into the house when you're leaving for work in the morning because you remembered that your pen ran out of ink yesterday and you need to refill it so you don't have to use a ballpoint from the office's supply the rest of the day.

Or.... you start stashing bottles of ink at work.

dannzeman
April 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM
...you look for a job based on how much writing you think you'll be doing.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

southpaw52
April 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I am a fountain pen geek because my hands have ink on them, I constanly have pens that I am cleaning and refilling. There is never enough ink choices of color. There is always a pen you must have.

penspouse
April 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
You have so many pens inked it's hard to write them dry so you can change colors.

Okami
April 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
You have so many pens inked it's hard to write them dry so you can change colors.
That's me. LOL

donwinn
April 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ok, to get this thread back on topic (good job eriquito! ;) )
...you get depressed when you haven't written with a FP for at least 3 days.

I don't think that has happened to me (3 days without) since 2006.

Donnie

donwinn
April 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM

or for those who are not quite as bad procrastinators
...the last thing you do before you go to bed is make sure you have plenty of ink in the pen that you plan to use the next day.

--Stephen

First would not happen, because I keep a box with spare ink and cartridges at work, making the second unnecessary.

Donnie

Mellock
April 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
You write down random Wikipedia articles just to use your fountain pens.

dannzeman
November 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
...you talk to people about fountain pens when you know they're not interested because you can't help it.

lucasmines
December 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM
.... you add specific bottles of ink to your Christmas list, and send it to everyone that asks... :) (I'be been wanting Baystate Blue for work, and they were out of stock everywhere I looked until just before I made my Christmas list lol)

Maja
December 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Your bedtime reading material is old Fountain Pen Hospital catalogs or back issues of Pen World or :rolleyes:....

dannzeman
December 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Your bedtime reading material is old Fountain Pen Hospital catalogs or back issues of Pen World or :rolleyes:....
That's awesome!

Maja
December 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks! It's scary but true (in my case ;) ).

Here's another one...

You know you're a Fountain Pen Geek when you want to type the word "pelican", but type Pelikan instead...
That's happened to me a few times :D

dannzeman
December 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks! It's scary but true (in my case ;) ).

Here's another one...

You know you're a Fountain Pen Geek when you want to type the word "pelican", but type Pelikan instead...
That's happened to me a few times :D

omg, i've been that so many times lately and I can't figure out why I keep getting the red line under it. I know that's how you spell Pelikan! lol

Tracy Lee
January 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
. . . You carry a zip portfolio of 12 pens everywhere you go and the net worth dwarfs all iPads in the meeting room, combined! :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

bgray
January 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
You know how to pronounce "TWSBI"

You don't smirk at the mention of a feed nipple.

eriquito
January 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Oh no! I may not yet qualify as a geek then.

I'll let y'all figure out why...

Nice to see you. Mr. Gray! =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Cartooner
January 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Your office notebook is filled with repeated alphabet sentences.

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog..."

eriquito
January 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My notebook is quickly filling with:

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.

Some unsuspecting soul will discover this and assume I have a drinking problem.

=)

radellaf
March 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
You are so eager to use a new pen that you bottle-fill it -- while driving on the freeway. I think it was a CC (lever would have been easier).

fountainpenkid
March 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM
.........every person named Dunn gets your heart racing!

caribbean_skye
May 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
When someone tells you how much they paid for something, you can automatically transfer that number into how many pens (nakaya's, mont blanc, pilot prera's, Parker Duofolds, Ahabs etc) that translates to.

KrazyIvan
May 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
When someone tells you how much they paid for something, you can automatically transfer that number into how many pens (nakaya's, mont blanc, pilot prera's, Parker Duofolds, Ahabs etc) that translates to.

Or any combination thereof.

etoyoc
May 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
when coworkers notice that your pen often matches your tie, but you know the choice was made the other way arround

caribbean_skye
May 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Or any combination thereof.

Exactly! :)

KrazyIvan
May 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
when coworkers notice that your pen often matches your tie, but you know the choice was made the other way arround

Are you saying this pen makes me look fat? :crazy_pilot:

Quinton42503
May 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM
@etoyoc...I love that one!

Chi Town
May 10th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Re: You Know Your a Fountain Pen Geek When;

You go to bed and all you can think of is all the pens on your desk that need to be fixed!

etoyoc
May 10th, 2012, 03:47 AM
You can't sleep because you can't decide what ink to order for the new LE pen that hasn't even been made yet.

KrazyIvan
May 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
You can't sleep because you can't decide what ink to order for the new LE pen that hasn't even been made yet.

True dat.

Tracy Lee
May 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
When you are the only one in a meeting with fountain pens instead of a tablet or laptop but you think they should be the ones feeling self conscious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Follows
May 10th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Our mail room recognizes my packages and calls to let me know my pen(s) are here!

KrazyIvan
May 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Our mail room recognizes my packages and calls to let me know my pen(s) are here!

Oh man, do I ever get grief here for that.

manoeuver
June 19th, 2012, 07:11 AM
You create an LLC (partly) to procure fountain pens and pay for them with pre-tax revenue. (office supplies!)

rbadger332
June 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
When the pen you've just bought can equal your car payment, and insurance, and....I'll stop. :)

fountainpenkid
June 19th, 2012, 08:39 PM
fpgeeks come up first on your mozilla reccomended tabs :)

tytoalba
April 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM
someone notices, and mentions what a cool pen you have, then after a brief description you notice their eyes glaze over - TMI.

KrazyIvan
April 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM
someone notices, and mentions what a cool pen you have, then after a brief description you notice their eyes glaze over - TMI.

That just happened to me yesterday!

caribbean_skye
April 26th, 2013, 04:28 PM
When all of your friends know you like fountain pens (and will even enter contests to help you win), will buy you nibs, ink, paper on their travels and are astonished when you buy something not FP related (tis rare but it does happen).

drgoretex
April 26th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Brilliant! I have SO been there (like, every morning) - "Hmm...I want to use my Wall Street today, so my green shirt with the deeper pocket would be best...."

How about, I carry my printed patient list with me all day at the hospital. On the back of it is handwritten over and over (in various fonts) the name of the pen I am carrying, and the ink it contains. I have been asked about that a few times. :redface:

Ken

tytoalba
April 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Brilliant! I have SO been there (like, every morning) - "Hmm...I want to use my Wall Street today, so my green shirt with the deeper pocket would be best...."

How about, I carry my printed patient list with me all day at the hospital. On the back of it is handwritten over and over (in various fonts) the name of the pen I am carrying, and the ink it contains. I have been asked about that a few times. :redface:

Ken

made me chuckle... what ink do you use? my Dr uses Aurora Black.

drgoretex
April 26th, 2013, 04:42 PM

Ken

made me chuckle... what ink do you use? my Dr uses Aurora Black.

My two most-used inks at the hospital are Pharmacist's Darkening Absinthe and Diamine Registrar's Ink. Both iron gall.

Ken

kaisnowbird
April 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM
...the first thing you do in any meeting is take a quick scan around the table to see if anyone happens to be using a fountain pen.

LOL. I actually did that the other day, and boy there are a lot of Montblanc look-alike ballpoints around the boardroom table. :bump:

How about:
... on a slow day at work, you create an inventory of all your fountain pens using Excel, just so you could sort them by various categories (eg. colours, nib grades, size/weight, vintage/year) and help you choose your daily carry combination in a all-around balanced manner.

... a colleague buys a Montblanc fountain pen online as a gift and you spot it as a fake one from three desks away, then lose sleep thinking whether or not you should tell the poor guy.

... download all your favourite episodes of FPTV onto your laptop/portable device, so you could watch them again and again even at places where you don't have a decent internet connection.

... putting a few pens up for sale and secretly hoping they won't sell, so you still get to keep them.

All true, of course. :redface: (Oh, I just realised I need a spreadsheet for ink as well. Gotta go!)

wayne.robinson
April 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM
The Montblanc look alikes are probably my biggest peeve in a long line of peeves about knock offs. Either that or Luis Vuitton.

I see these knock offs as the ultimate in status-chasing and I think it is disgusting.

Buy the best quality you can afford in your budget. I've yet to handle any knock off item that is as good quality as the original or even similar products without the stolen brand.

79spitfire
April 26th, 2013, 11:28 PM
You read the entire thread: "What is up with FPN"

:confused:

orfew
April 26th, 2013, 11:38 PM
When you rush home from work to check the mailbox for a new pen...before your wife checks the mail.

cedargirl
April 27th, 2013, 07:25 AM
You collect pangrams.

thagbert
April 27th, 2013, 08:40 AM
When you rush home from work to check the mailbox for a new pen...before your wife checks the mail.

What he said!!!

BikerBabe
April 27th, 2013, 06:01 PM
- when your colleagues and friends - even online friends I've never even met! - is on the lookout for fountain pens for you, and will send/buy/get you fp's.

kaisnowbird
April 27th, 2013, 06:31 PM
- every time people mentions timeless designs, all you can think of are classic FPs like Parker 51, Lamy 2000, MB Meisterstuck, etc.

BikerBabe
April 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM
- every time someone writes/says "Sailor", you automatically mentally finishes with "1911"...

Marsilius
April 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM
. . . your thirteen-year-old asks you to drive home from work to bring the permission slip to his school that he forgot to tell you about, and you are delighted, because you forgot your pens at home and were trying to think of a good enough reason to go back home and get some.

Marsilius
April 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
You read the entire thread: "What is up with FPN"

:confused:

between rushing to the mailbox before your wife gets there!

piscov
April 28th, 2013, 01:13 AM

This is the best definition I have ever eard! !!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kaisnowbird
April 28th, 2013, 03:22 AM
- every time someone writes/says "Sailor", you automatically mentally finishes with "1911"...

Yep, just like every time I say the word masterpiece, I wish I could say "Meisterstück" instead.
(Mental note - All I need is to learn a few more simple German words to complete the sentence, then I could pull it off :p.)

liapuyat
April 29th, 2013, 03:32 AM
When you muster up the courage to ask the new pen posse member you've only met in person twice if he could buy you a specific Japanese pen with a soft/music nib on his next trip to Japan the following month. (Hehehe. And he did agree!)

woosang
April 29th, 2013, 04:40 AM
When your colleague asks for a highlighter and you hand your pelikan M205 without thinking

kaisnowbird
April 29th, 2013, 05:49 AM
When your colleague asks for a highlighter and you hand your pelikan M205 without thinking

:pound:

ndw76
April 29th, 2013, 06:44 AM
When at the car wash you flip through the car magazines and look at not the cars, not the half naked girl draped on the car, but the fancy lettering on the ad and think what nib would I need to write like that.

Tracy Lee
April 29th, 2013, 05:13 PM

That. Is. AWESOME!!! :)

Tracy Lee
April 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM
When you read this entire thread and you still don't get why any of this makes a person a FP geek. Let me read it one more time . . . Maybe if I cradle my pen case at the same time it will come to me.

woosang
April 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Yeah he thought so, I had to hunt to get it back, no, it's not a gift, yes you can buy them no they are not $20.. Argh that's the trouble with being distracted lol

79spitfire
April 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM
You get an inexpensive pen off e-bay and are stoked because the seller shipped it in a MB service tube!

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Yeah he thought so, I had to hunt to get it back, no, it's not a gift, yes you can buy them no they are not $20.. Argh that's the trouble with being distracted lol

D'oh! You must get a bait pen cup. Oh, the fact you have a bait pen cup, makes you an FP Geek.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/5249513106_ca2328b176_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5249513106/)
Pen cup (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5249513106/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

thagbert
April 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM

D'oh! You must get a bait pen cup. Oh, the fact you have a bait pen cup, makes you an FP Geek.

I'm guilty of the bait pen cup!

tannie
May 1st, 2013, 07:50 AM
… you don't care about the abdication and following coronation, you just *really* want to know what pen they used to sign the documents.

kaisnowbird
May 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM
… you don't care about the abdication and following coronation, you just *really* want to know what pen they used to sign the documents.

That's a good one! :thumb: When I watched Prince William's wedding on the tele, I was hoping to see them signing the marriage certificate or something with an FP worthy of a royal warrant, but they went to the 'backstage' for that part. Damn!

GardenWeasel
May 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
You wake up in the middle of the night finally realizing the perfect ink to fill that certain cantankerous nib'd pen - and get up to do it and then spend an hour scribbling. (wandering off to find another cup of coffee...)

Liessa
May 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM

I deny everything and even that.
That said... does anyone here know? ;)

seffrican
May 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM
...you always notice what pen clips are showing from people's pockets (and can identify them).

What about when you have your nearest and dearest doing that too, and reporting back what pens they saw at the meetings they were at today.

I have achieved this. Because I. Am. Awesome.

...awesome geek, anyway.

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM
Wait, what's an fp geek again?

thagbert
May 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
Wait, what's an fp geek again?

I like mango pudding
May 1st, 2013, 03:42 PM
when you spend the entire afternoon lurking on threads here instead of completing projects with imminent deadlines at work. And angling your monitor so no one can see your screen.

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thank you, thagbert!

Tracy Lee
May 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM

ME TOO!!!!

79spitfire
May 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM

ME TOO!!!!

:redface: Here too....

Newjelan
May 2nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
When you read this thread it feels like people have been spying on you. (Too close for comfort)

KrazyIvan
May 2nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't feel so bad now for having a bait pen cup. :D Well, not that I felt bad about it initially but... oh NVM. :p

Mod_wolves
May 3rd, 2013, 05:05 PM

This happens on a daily basis. I thought I was the only one!

cwent2
May 3rd, 2013, 05:29 PM

When you have you new pens sent to your work address, so your wife won't get them in the mail.

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
When you have you new pens sent to your work address, so your wife won't get them in the mail.

Oh, that's the oldest trick in the book. Been doing that for years with my "toys" :)

thagbert
May 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM

You don't scrub your hands as a badge of honor!

fountainpenkid
May 3rd, 2013, 06:14 PM
...you look at this thread.

Bogon07
May 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
And tick off just about everything mentioned.

thagbert
May 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM

"What's that on your hands?" "Ink" "Did your pen break?" "No, I use fountain pens!" <odd look>

fountainpenkid
May 3rd, 2013, 08:36 PM

"What's that on your hands?" "Ink" "Did your pen break?" "No, I use fountain pens!" <odd look>

Hey, I carry and run with 2 pens over 60 years old in my pocket every day, and I never get inky hands, nor do I want to...

calluna
May 3rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
You're working on learning a new language, and your first practice efforts are things like "I love my black fountain pen with the gold nib and green ink."

79spitfire
May 3rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
You're working on learning a new language, and your first practice efforts are things like "I love my black fountain pen with the gold nib and green ink."

FTW!!

cwent2
May 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM

lmao

kaisnowbird
May 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
And tick off just about everything mentioned.

Yep, and Tick again. :D

79spitfire
May 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
When your main fountain pen posting 'hangout' goes down so you go looking for others....

(ouch)

KrazyIvan
May 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
You have a notebook titled "You know you are a FP Geek when..." And you transcribe this threads entire contents into said notebook trying to copy Manny's writing techniques.

kaisnowbird
May 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
You have a notebook titled "You know you are a FP Geek when..." And you transcribe this threads entire contents into said notebook trying to copy Manny's writing techniques.

LOL This one is awesome!!

Manny
May 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM

...you think that "That. Is. AWESOME!!! :)" ;)

Marsilius
May 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM

...you think that "That. Is. AWESOME!!! :)" ;)

. . . When you write your posts in lovely calligraphy, and even coin a term for them. :D

Manny
May 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
. . . When you write your posts in lovely calligraphy, and even coin a term for them. :D

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0506131123-1_zps9a383433.jpg

Marsilius
May 6th, 2013, 09:51 AM

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0506131123-1_zps9a383433.jpg

In the very best of ways!

Manny
May 8th, 2013, 04:42 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/0508131838_zpseaee7bc2.jpg

79spitfire
June 30th, 2013, 09:25 PM
When you find you really have 2 pens inked (you thought you had one) and they both work flawlessly the first time tried!

:crazy_pilot:

drgoretex
June 30th, 2013, 11:58 PM
...when you are on holiday in a beautiful location, and your thoughts keep drifting back to the pens that are en route and may arrive while you are away.

Ken

snedwos
July 1st, 2013, 12:38 AM

"J'ai perdu ma plume dans le jardin de ma tante." takes on a whole new terrifying meaning...

jacksterp
July 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM
Recoil in horror at the thought of flushing a drop or two of ink down the sink from an almost empty pen.

Oh yeah, and posting at 3:28 am EST on FPGeeks!

kaisnowbird
July 1st, 2013, 03:57 AM
...when you are on holiday in a beautiful location, and your thoughts keep drifting back to the pens that are en route and may arrive while you are away.

Ken

Yep, that's going to be me in a few days. :p

kaisnowbird
July 2nd, 2013, 06:30 AM
...when researching tourist attractions at an exotic holiday location, you wish there is recommendation for a great local pen shop, or better yet, a pen show.

fountainpenkid
July 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
...every time you go paddling you mistake a twig floating in the water for a vintage hard rubber pen.

Mod_wolves
July 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
You look at what people have written down whether at uni, work, or just someones cross word to see whether I see fountain pen ink or ball point ink.

CS388
July 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
You accidentally knock over a bottle of ink.
You're more worried about the lost ink, than the irreparable mess it has made of carpets, clothes, books, furniture, skin, life, etc.
You immediately go out and buy more ink, even though you already have enough bottles to last your lifetime, twice over.

Deano
August 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM
When it looks like you've been trick-or-treating, but its just the drawer where you throw all the Goulet Pen treats.

snedwos
August 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
...when you search every stationery shop, boookshop, gift store obsessively for even the slightest acknowledgement that fountain pens exist. And when you don¡t find anything, you look again, just in case you've missed it.

Few things are more disappointing than a "fancy pen" cabinet in a shop with no fountain pens in it.

Jeph
September 5th, 2013, 01:14 AM
...you use fountian pen flow mechanics and a fountian pen older than the listener's father to explain how to troubleshoot a problem with a jet engine. And it works.

RuiFromUK
September 5th, 2013, 03:47 AM
...you use fountian pen flow mechanics and a fountian pen older than the listener's father to explain how to troubleshoot a problem with a jet engine. And it works.

When one still talks to people like this. :)

erpe
September 5th, 2013, 04:25 AM
you press a ball-pen harder on the paper to get a broader line and are frustrated about the lack of result...

velo
September 5th, 2013, 05:18 AM
You sniff your pens and inks.

Adhizen
September 5th, 2013, 07:35 AM
-you feel naked with out a fountain in your pocket
-nib gazing through a lope for hours
-you watch Youtube pen reviews and call it "Pen Porn"

KrazyIvan
September 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM
you press a ball-pen harder on the paper to get a broader line and are frustrated about the lack of result...

You don't know about Gclef, I gather.

Feardorcha
September 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM
...you go home for 'lunch' everyday just to check if the next parcel of ink/pens has been delivered.

erpe
September 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I don't, enlighten me unless it involves a ballpen of course :)

KrazyIvan
September 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM

It does. Manny can make a ballpen do line variation. He's that good. Now, just think what he can do with a flex pen. :)

Tracy Lee
September 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM

It does. Manny can make a ballpen do line variation. He's that good. Now, just think what he can do with a flex pen. :)

He is scary good with a ball point. He is super scary good with a flex pen. Even sitting there watching him do it is astonishing. :eek:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

spotted and speckled
September 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM
...when you can tell by the smell what the previous ink was in the ebay pen you just got.

ThriveToScribe
September 5th, 2013, 08:31 PM
....You immediately go out and buy more ink, even though you already have enough bottles to last your lifetime, twice over.

I do that even when I haven't knocked over a bottle of ink!:jaw:

erpe
September 6th, 2013, 06:25 AM
OK, you have me curious, where is it?

AndyT
September 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM
OK, you have me curious, where is it?

Dotted around the forum. There's plenty in this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2794-Welcome-to). :)

diogenesNY
December 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM
...You laugh like a maniacal supervillian while extending the snorkel on that vintage Scheafer.

---diogenesNY

Newjelan
December 5th, 2013, 02:44 AM
... The most important item in your bag, whenever you go out, is a fountain pen and if you don't have one, you simply must turnaround, go home and get one (even of you're only going to buy some milk).

... You continually describe colours using the names of inks.

KrazyIvan
December 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM
My coworker (who is not into pens) accompanied me when I met with Mike Dudek and Dan Bishop of KarasKustoms and said afterward, "I did not know you could carry on a 2 hour conversation all about pens!"

Senecabud
December 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM
You have a notebook dedicated to listing in all your inks and another notebook dedicated to listing all your pens, including whichever ink they currently hold and whichever nib is currently fitted (and you faithfully log all changes of inks and nibs). And, oh, yes, you also have a listing of all your nibs and whether they are currently in use.

auto winder
December 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
You have a notebook dedicated to listing in all your inks and another notebook dedicated to listing all your pens, including whichever ink they currently hold and whichever nib is currently fitted (and you faithfully log all changes of inks and nibs). And, oh, yes, you also have a listing of all your nibs and whether they are currently in use.

Good to know I'm not the only one :)

spotted and speckled
December 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM
You buy a hideous pen off ebay to get the gorgeous nib.

kaisnowbird
December 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
... tedious and long meetings are fun to you because you get to:
1. take lots of colour coded notes using your FPs, and
2. stare at the ink swishing inside your demonstrator when there's nothing worthwhile to jot down.

Goldfish
December 9th, 2013, 11:03 PM
...at 11:30 pm you find out the mail carrier came and left a package from Goulet Pens at 7:30 pm, and get out of cozy bed and walk to your mailbox 200 yards away in 3 degrees Fahrenheit.

kaisnowbird
December 9th, 2013, 11:40 PM
...at 11:30 pm you find out the mail carrier came and left a package from Goulet Pens at 7:30 pm, and get out of cozy bed and walk to your mailbox 200 yards away in 3 degrees Fahrenheit.

Oh yeah, you have to do that! We can't let the package freeze, with or without ink inside. :smow:

lisantica
December 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
When a newbie geek wants to know what veteran geeks say about fountain pens, only to find out the ride on the slippery slope has begun.

Newjelan
December 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one :)

And I'm another one. :crazy: (And as someone who hates structure it's quite bizarre.)

RuiFromUK
December 11th, 2013, 03:58 AM
When you award yourself a fountain pen for your birthday in December followed by another one a couple of weeks later for Xmas and wish you could afford some more.

79spitfire
December 11th, 2013, 11:44 PM
When your daughter needs a gift for a 'secret Santa' and of course, you produce some inexpensive fountain pens you've been saving for gifting.....

spotted and speckled
December 21st, 2013, 08:35 PM
When you award yourself a fountain pen for your birthday in December followed by another one a couple of weeks later for Xmas and wish you could afford some more.

I'm doing this!!! Trying to decide what pen I want for Christmas now....

ndw76
December 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
...you rarely get 'a' pen. You buy multiple pens and they all arrive on different days.

79spitfire
December 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
...you rarely get 'a' pen. You buy multiple pens and they all arrive on different days.

The geeky part would be planing this so it happens on different days!

ndw76
December 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
I'm not that organised. I just buy a second pen to make the wait for the first one more bearable

AndrewW
December 24th, 2013, 12:38 PM
When you've managed to get two friends bitten by the pen usingcollecting bug.

I like mango pudding
December 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
you get three of the same pens in different nib widths, just because you suspect the B isn't really a B, so you compare it to your other B. Only then you find out it really was a B, then you go out and buy the M.

You are really a super geek when this pen happens to be a 149

Tracy Lee
December 24th, 2013, 02:44 PM
you get three of the same pens in different nib widths, just because you suspect the B isn't really a B, so you compare it to your other B. Only then you find out it really was a B, then you go out and buy the M.

Or a Visconti!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

79spitfire
December 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Or a Visconti!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Even a Pilot would qualify....

Runnin_Ute
December 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM
when one Blue Black isn't enough.(and neither is three for that matter) and you have one pen filled with each one - and can tell the difference.

inkstainedruth
December 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM
When you're at dinner, and the waitress brings the bill, and someone hands you the pen that came with it and you say "Oh, I already *have* a pen" and one of your friends (for whom you have promised to do research and take some photos of the pens that came out of her mother's house so she can put them on Ebay) says "Oh of *course* she has a pen!" and then says "Isn't that like one of the pens I gave you to take pictures of?" And you spend the next several minutes explaining the difference between 51 Aerometrics and 51 Vacs to the entire table.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

BikerBabe
December 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
...when you ponder making your own little business cards with name, telephone number, e-mail address and list of what you look for, i.e. fountain pens, dip pens, dip pen nibs, inkwells, pen wipes, rocker blotters, old ink bottles (non-permanent ink), etc., just so that you can hand the cards out at thrift shops, flea markets and antique shops to ensure that the sellers will get in touch with you, if they get their hands on anything interesting.

ethernautrix
December 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Oh, HAI!

pengeezer
January 2nd, 2014, 04:32 PM
...you coordinate the FPs you'll be using for the day with the outfit you're wearing. (was that too much? sorry :o)

Guilty as charged,yer honer.

John

pengeezer
January 2nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
...you talk to people about fountain pens when you know they're not interested because you can't help it.Been guilty of that where I have worked before(my acquaintenances know me too well!)........

John

pengeezer
January 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
When you go to the housewares section of a thrift store,see a
wooden box or clear rectangular container with a double-door top lid and think,
"That would make a great box for holding inks....."

John

Scrawler
January 2nd, 2014, 07:02 PM

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Only once. And as it happened I need not have bothered because mine was the only bid.

pengeezer
January 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Only once. And as it happened I need not have bothered because mine was the only bid.

I did it once(had to get up early anyway). Ended up winning a vintage platinum MB
from the other side of the pond--one of the best sumgai deals I won.

John

scrivelry
January 2nd, 2014, 10:56 PM
You read this thread, see a picture of a "Bait pen cup," decide to Google "Bait Pen" and are totally flabbergasted that it keeps coming up as something to do with fish...

T

dannzeman
January 3rd, 2014, 12:40 AM
...you start your own pen forum.

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 12:55 AM
...you start your own pen forum.

Kudos on waiting until Post #183 to fess up.

My most recent clue was opening up my one present from my wife (even though we had decided against *any*) to reveal she had gotten me a Dual Lens Head Magnifier. And I had never mentioned one. She seems to want to refer to me as "Pendleton" now...

david i
January 3rd, 2014, 01:09 AM
Re: You know you're a Fountain Pen Geek when...

You're not sure if you have 4000 or 5000 old pens lying about?

regards

-d

Scrawler
January 3rd, 2014, 04:06 AM

Eric
Son of Ragnar

I did it once(had to get up early anyway). Ended up winning a vintage platinum MB
from the other side of the pond--one of the best sumgai deals I won.

John

In my case I absolutely do not know why no one else bid. I walked away with a superflex 1917 Mabie Todd for the equivalent of about $8. Maybe the fates knew how much I wanted it, that being prepared to interrupt my sleep cycle to get it, was enough for the normally cold, uncaring, universe to smile upon me.

Scrawler
January 3rd, 2014, 04:09 AM
Re: You know you're a Fountain Pen Geek when...

You're not sure if you have 4000 or 5000 old pens lying about?

regards

-d
Yes, :thumb: I have heard a description of the inside of your dwelling from a mutual friend.:hail: :fans:

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM

John

When you coordinate fountain pens to what you are wearing but don't realize it until you get to work.

pengeezer
January 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM

John

When you coordinate fountain pens to what you are wearing but don't realize it until you get to work.

:pound:

John

BikerBabe
January 3rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
- when you start growling when an uninitiated person gets anywhere near one of your fp's lying on your desk.

pengeezer
January 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM
You spend more time with your pens than your friends......

.....your pens become your friends

John

pengeezer
January 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Went to a thrift store the other day that I frequent from time
to time. Saw a large wooden box that would have held flatware.

Started to think..........

John

KrazyIvan
January 8th, 2014, 10:05 AM

John

I do that too. :)

SteveE
January 9th, 2014, 07:02 AM
- when you start growling when an uninitiated person gets anywhere near one of your fp's lying on your desk.

Where I work, even the company president knows that I will smack his hand if he reaches for one of my FP's. I don't have to growl.

79spitfire
January 9th, 2014, 10:23 PM
You get a new desk at work and wonder which one of your Fountain pen desk pens will look the best....

Scrib
January 10th, 2014, 06:06 AM
... you get a new pen and suddenly realize you might not need a new bottle of ink after all; the 20+ bottles you already have suddenly seem to be taking on new personalities in the latest addition to your collection!

attika89
January 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM
....when you push back you clutch pencil's lead because it will dry out!
I've just done that :crazy:

thelonestranger
January 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
You are 250 miles from home driving down the expressway, and your phone's alarm goes off and you pull over.

Why?

The pen auction you're bidding in is over in two minutes, and you wanted to *MAKE SURE* you won... ;)

thelonestranger

ethernautrix
January 12th, 2014, 04:01 PM
You live in California and you fly to Minneapolis at the end of January for a Pen Posse at INK.

You live in California and see a notice on Facebook for the Poland Pen Show, and you think, How far is that from Prague? Cos you have always wanted to visit Prague and you aren't a one-dimensional FP geek focused only on fountain pens, but you know that the reason you finally saw Prague is cos of the first ever Poland Pen Show.

Mags
January 12th, 2014, 04:36 PM
You know your a FPGeek when you buy a leather cigar case for your fountain pens. :)

pengeezer
January 12th, 2014, 05:36 PM
You live in California and you fly to Minneapolis at the end of January for a Pen Posse at INK.

You live in California and see a notice on Facebook for the Poland Pen Show, and you think, How far is that from Prague? Cos you have always wanted to visit Prague and you aren't a one-dimensional FP geek focused only on fountain pens, but you know that the reason you finally saw Prague is cos of the first ever Poland Pen Show.

Have you visited all the pen shows in the US?

John

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM

Hah! If she had, we'd definitely know about it! (We'll be missing E in LA in a few weeks, won't be the same...)

Ok, so my FPG factor may have become cemented recently: we determined we wouldn't exchange gifts this past Christmas, but each ended up with one thing for the other. My wife gave me this:

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_49/gallery_2679_49_611648.jpg

pengeezer
January 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Hah! If she had, we'd definitely know about it! (We'll be missing E in LA in a few weeks, won't be the same...)

Ok, so my FPG factor may have become cemented recently: we determined we wouldn't exchange gifts this past Christmas, but each ended up with one thing for the other. My wife gave me this:

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_49/gallery_2679_49_611648.jpg

Did you give her something pen-related? :)

John

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Did you give her something pen-related? :)

Hehe, we are a one-geek household.

Though today she asked "Can you swap out the nib on my Metropolitan?"

Laura N
January 12th, 2014, 06:51 PM

At my age, those are just "reading glasses."

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 07:38 PM
At my age, those are just "reading glasses."

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/lol.gif

inlovewithjournals
January 12th, 2014, 09:10 PM
...you are told a co-worker has never seen a fountain pen and you immediately run over to her desk to show her the five you just happen to have with you...(true story!!)

KrazyIvan
January 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I have converted my first coworker to the Dark Side. He bought a Lamy CP-1 and is now asking if I might do a nib grind for him. Okay, I offered first.

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 09:51 PM
He bought a Lamy CP-1 and is now asking if I might do a nib grind for him. Okay, I offered first.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.diylife.com/media/2010/05/die-metal-grinder-tool-sparks-590jn050410.jpg

I like mango pudding
January 12th, 2014, 10:02 PM
not if I can give it a try first.

http://www.glogger.mobi/users/mann/image/2009_12_05_22_09_08.jpg

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 10:06 PM
That guy is well on his way to a cordless vasectomy.

pengeezer
January 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM
That guy is well on his way to a cordless vasectomy.

He'll give himself the dutch version of a "Conway Stewart".

John

I like mango pudding
January 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM
maybe he's trying for a stub

Jon Szanto
January 12th, 2014, 10:17 PM
maybe he's trying for a stub

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/lol.gif

RuiFromUK
January 13th, 2014, 01:03 AM
When you are at the London's FP Geeks gathering and get embarrassed about how many pens I have since I started collecting some 9 months ago.

Annie
January 13th, 2014, 01:41 AM
When you are at the London's FP Geeks gathering and get embarrassed about how many pens I have since I started collecting some 9 months ago.

When you are going to the geek gathering and you decide against wearing a white sweater because you just know you'll get inky.

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 10:02 AM

John

No, John. I was planning to go to the New England Pen Show in Boston last year, but I detoured sortv last minute to the Poland Pen Show instead.

I have been to the Los Angeles Pen Show (three times), the San Francisco Pen Show (twice), and the Atlanta Pen Show (once), but not to the Columbus Pen Show, the D.C. Super Show, the Philadelphia Pen Show, the New York Pen Show, the Northwest Regional Pen Fair, the Dallas Pen Show, the Little Rock Pen Show, the Baltimore, Miami, Raleigh, or Chicago Pen Shows.

But I have been to every one of the 50 states.

Pen Posse, of course, travels with me, as it does with whomever calls a Pen Posse wherever one is. All it takes is at least two pen nerds playing with pens and BAM! Pen Posse.

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 10:05 AM
...you are told a co-worker has never seen a fountain pen and you immediately run over to her desk to show her the five you just happen to have with you...(true story!!)

Similarly, at a pen fair held at Flax in San Francisco, a customer stood at the counter talking to the Sailor representative, trying out the Sailor fountain pens, and he said that what he really wanted was to try a Nakaya, but there were no retail outlets in the U.S. and no reps at the pen fair. I said, pulling a Nakaya out of my pen case, "Did you say Nakaya?" Between me and Ricky, we showed him seven or eight Nakayas. It would have been more, but Ricky had left most of his at home.

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM

It's embarrassing only if you haven't acquired more.

Remember, we understand your affliction, er, condition, needs, your needs.

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 10:10 AM
You know you're a pen geek (or pen nerd) (is there a difference?) when you giggle like a 14-year-old boy when someone mentions the Dark Lord.

pengeezer
January 13th, 2014, 10:11 AM

John

No, John. I was planning to go to the New England Pen Show in Boston last year, but I detoured sortv last minute to the Poland Pen Show instead.

I have been to the Los Angeles Pen Show (three times), the San Francisco Pen Show (twice), and the Atlanta Pen Show (once), but not to the Columbus Pen Show, the D.C. Super Show, the Philadelphia Pen Show, the New York Pen Show, the Northwest Regional Pen Fair, the Dallas Pen Show, the Little Rock Pen Show, the Baltimore, Miami, Raleigh, or Chicago Pen Shows.

But I have been to every one of the 50 states.

Pen Posse, of course, travels with me, as it does with whomever calls a Pen Posse wherever one is. All it takes is at least two pen nerds playing with pens and BAM! Pen Posse.

Sounds like a plan to me......

John

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM

John

I pretty much live Pen Posse every day. Heh.

pengeezer
January 13th, 2014, 11:39 AM

John

I pretty much live Pen Posse every day. Heh.

So that makes you a Pen Posse Proselyte? :)

John

ThriveToScribe
January 13th, 2014, 05:19 PM
....when you push back you clutch pencil's lead because it will dry out!
I've just done that :crazy:

I feel better now, because I've done that more than once! :-)

ethernautrix
January 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM

John

Well, I don't tend to proselytize to non-choir members, if you know what I mean. I prefer to mind my own business, and go about it contentedly, and if others notice and inquire, then I am happy to spend some time with them, showing and telling.

pengeezer
January 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM

John

Well, I don't tend to proselytize to non-choir members, if you know what I mean. I prefer to mind my own business, and go about it contentedly, and if others notice and inquire, then I am happy to spend some time with them, showing and telling.

Understand completely......I liked the way the alliteration sounded. :)

John

kia
January 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
You know you're a fountain pen geek when...

... you walk into your bank to make some transactions and, while passing the community board, you catch a glimpse of an unusual curved desk with shelves that appears to be for sale, and all the while finishing up business, you wonder if the desk has a sloped writing surface and whether the drawers will accommodate your pens and papers, and make a mental note to check it on the way out... you check it on the way out and find - it's a poorly lit photo of a rowboat.

(true story, happened last week)

pengeezer
January 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM

John

Went to the same thrift store today and saw on a shelf a small,metal attache case
(halliburton style)that housed the card game version of "Deal or No Deal".

Started to think again..............

John

velo
January 19th, 2014, 12:48 AM
You know you're a fountain pen geek when you shop for macro lenses, despite having no interest in macro photography, for the sole purpose of taking pen photos to post for your fellow pen geeks.

Tony Rex
January 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM
You call the reception at http://www.sheratonpelikanhannover.com/ asking for another room because yours had a Sailor Reglus (http://assets.sheratonpelikanhannover.com/XLGallery/Executive_Room.jpg) wall art instead of a Souverän.

Tracy Lee
January 19th, 2014, 09:02 AM
You call the reception at http://www.sheratonpelikanhannover.com/ asking for another room because yours had a Sailor Reglus (http://assets.sheratonpelikanhannover.com/XLGallery/Executive_Room.jpg) wall art instead of a Souverän.

Hilarious!!!

ethernautrix
January 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM
You take out some pens you haven't used in a long time and are thinking about selling, cos, you know, why keep pens you're not using?* and realize why you kept the pens in the first place, and now you have twenty pens inked and in rotation instead of five or six. Sigh.

You understand "in rotation."

*This might disqualify one from pen geekhood. Judges?

scrivelry
January 19th, 2014, 10:30 AM
You take out some pens you haven't used in a long time and are thinking about selling, cos, you know, why keep pens you're not using?* ...

Well, would selling these pens result in buying more pens? Or in paying rent so the pens you have do not have to sleep in the street with you? Or paying tuition so that your younger generation can become literate and use pens? Or provide medical care so that your pens will continue to have a thoughtful, appreciative caregiver rather than be put in a shoebox and sold for ten bucks at an estate sale?

Any of these answers would support a claim of geekhood. The ubiquitous "wanting the space," not so much...

T

pengeezer
January 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
*As long as you replace the ones you sell,you can still keep your geekdom status.

Have 2,sell one does not mean geekhood status.

John

pengeezer
January 19th, 2014, 12:43 PM
This brings up an interesting question--are there levels of geekhood according
to the number of pens one has in their collection?

John

Jon Szanto
January 19th, 2014, 12:51 PM

... or to the relative financial investment in said pens? It's one thing to have a bunch of Safaris, and another to have a bunch of Wahl Coronets.

79spitfire
January 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
You take out some pens you haven't used in a long time and are thinking about selling, cos, you know, why keep pens you're not using?* and realize why you kept the pens in the first place, and now you have twenty pens inked and in rotation instead of five or six. Sigh.

It's nice to know it's not just me....

If your wife asks you "Just what do you plan on doing with all these pens?"

And your response is "The same thing you plan on doing with all your purses..."

It works for about 3 months....

(and no, thinking about selling pens doesn't disqualify you, tossing them all and taking up politics would.....)

pengeezer
January 19th, 2014, 01:22 PM

... or to the relative financial investment in said pens? It's one thing to have a bunch of Safaris, and another to have a bunch of Wahl Coronets.

But if you have a bunch of Terracotta and Savannah green Safaris,wouldn't that almost qualify? :)

John

pengeezer
January 19th, 2014, 01:24 PM

(and no, thinking about selling pens doesn't disqualify you, tossing them all and taking up politics would.....)

One thing,however--If your wife sends her purses she no longer wants to the thrift store,would you
do the same with your pens?

John

Jon Szanto
January 19th, 2014, 01:31 PM
But if you have a bunch of Terracotta and Savannah green Safaris,wouldn't that almost qualify? :)

Uh, no.

ethernautrix
January 19th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Oh yes, sell a pen, buy a pen. Or, more likely, buy a pen, think about selling a pen.

Buy another pen.

79spitfire
January 19th, 2014, 07:53 PM

One thing,however--If your wife sends her purses she no longer wants to the thrift store,would you
do the same with your pens?

John

Luckily, I don't think either is going to happen...

writingrav
January 21st, 2014, 05:02 AM
You save comic strips like this:

pengeezer
January 21st, 2014, 05:26 PM
You save comic strips like this:

You might have to redo your link--didn't work.

John

Dobro Scott
January 21st, 2014, 07:12 PM
When its ink not grease on and under your fingernails

GHCToolman
January 21st, 2014, 07:14 PM
It makes you feel sick when you have to write with a cheap disposable ballpoint (unfortunately experienced this the other day when I forgot my pen case)

kaisnowbird
January 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM
It makes you feel sick when you have to write with a cheap disposable ballpoint (unfortunately experienced this the other day when I forgot my pen case)

Oh NO! I get the sinking feeling just thinking about it. I hate it when my local supermarket lady pulls a cheap Papermate, with no cap on, out of her HAIR and hand it to me to sign a credit card receipt. I'd rather scratch my signature with my nails than to touch that thing.

pengeezer
January 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM
When its ink not grease on and under your fingernails

I've had both,and I can tell you I prefer ink!

John

Crossinghouses
January 26th, 2014, 06:14 PM
You have a bunch of syringes lying around and people think you need help.

79spitfire
January 26th, 2014, 06:25 PM

You have a bunch of syringes lying around and people think you need help.
Guilty as charged.....