PDA

View Full Version : Inside the big Lamyington box - White Pearl Studio

Bogon07
August 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM
After seeing KrazyIvan's great review of his black Lamy Studio I decided to get the "to be discontinued" Matt Blue Studio from PilotfishPens in UK.

Then I saw a White Pearl LE Studio in The UltimatePen in Sydney and had to get it despite the cost.

It was a real shock to discover that the bloody great box it came in was 19x19x9.5cm! Panic, how was I going to sneak that into the house past Mrs Bogon's security surveillance; luckily she was working late that day. When she came home I told her about the pen and its price to be met with silence and that cold stare only your wife can give you. She has now calmed down and thinks the grip is a little too slippery...sounds like a good idea to try the brushed steel Studio.

As you can see you're paying for a lot of packaging, outter white cardboard, then a big black cardboard box and finally a faux leather box with a bottle of Lamy Black ink. A Z26 converter is included.

The pen itself has a glossy white lacquer with silvery sparkles somewhat like the finish on some cars. The nib is an EF with a 14K gold section.

Bogon07
August 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Here is the White with its Matt Blue partner

I also purchased a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness to load the pen with.
As you can see the gold nib appears to produce a slightly thicker line than the standard Lamy steel nibs. It also feels different to write with...maybe a bit more spring or flex.

Maja
August 5th, 2012, 04:04 AM
When she came home I told her about the pen and its price to be met with silence and that cold stare only your wife can give you.

Ha! My husband has given me the same cold stare...and it doesn't matter if the pen cost twenty bucks or twenty cents---he still thinks it's an unnecessary purchase! :big_boss:
Congratulations on 'surviving' another pen purchase...and enjoy your new Studio (it looks great!) :D

writingrav
August 5th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Oh, I know that stare. Great looking pen!

etoyoc
August 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Beautiful pens! I really like the styling of the Studio. However, I have read many complaints about that section. For now, I am keeping with my stainless. I have read on FPN about people taking an abrasive surface to roughen up that section.

KrazyIvan
August 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Great review Bogon. The white looks very apple. :) The dino in your picture! Will it be a regular ?

etoyoc
August 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Yes, that Jurassic Park Velociraptor is an awesome addition to your pics.

KrazyIvan
August 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Btw, that box is huge! My Studio had the smaller box.

etoyoc
August 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mine came in an identical small box as my 2000.

Maja
August 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Beautiful pens! I really like the styling of the Studio. However, I have read many complaints about that section. For now, I am keeping with my stainless. I have read on FPN about people taking an abrasive surface to roughen up that section.

I did that with the metal section on my Sheaffer '100' fountain pen. I took a small piece of fine sandpaper and did a single slow full circle with it around the section. I showed it to the pen store owner from whom I got the pen and he said I did a great job. I tend to agree (she said modestly ;)). Anyway, I am sure it can be done with the Lamy Studio section but don't use too coarse a sandpaper piece.

etoyoc
August 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I did that with the metal section on my Sheaffer '100' fountain pen. I took a small piece of fine sandpaper and did a single slow full circle with it around the section. I showed it to the pen store owner from whom I got the pen and he said I did a great job. I tend to agree (she said modestly ;)). Anyway, I am sure it can be done with the Lamy Studio section but don't use too coarse a sandpaper piece.

I have partially become accustomed to the feel of the shiny, slick section on the Monteverde Invincia Tartania. Maybe I will give that a try on that section first.

Yes, that helped the Monteverde. But alas, there is a very very thin plating on the Monteverde section. Yes, the process gave more grip. However, now there is a ring where the brass under the plating shows. I used 15 micron micromesh (600 grit equivalent)

KrazyIvan
August 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I think I may just get the plastic black section for my Studio.

Maja
August 7th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I have partially become accustomed to the feel of the shiny, slick section on the Monteverde Invincia Tartania. Maybe I will give that a try on that section first.

Yes, that helped the Monteverde. But alas, there is a very very thin plating on the Monteverde section. Yes, the process gave more grip. However, now there is a ring where the brass under the plating shows. I used 15 micron micromesh (600 grit equivalent)
Sorry to hear about that. I can't remember what sandpaper I used but I recall that I didn't press very hard. Then again, I don't know if the Sheaffer had a brass layer underneath....Thanks for passing along your experience with the Monteverde.

Bogon07
August 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Flight878 has a detailed description of his method of creating a burshed steel look to the grip at FPN in KrazyIvan's black Studio review:
post#13 has a picture of it and #17 contains the process.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224387-lamy-studio-review/page__view__findpost__p__2387456

After a while I've gotten used to the chrome grip section.

The Velociraptor model is very detailed and has an articulated jaw.
The same range also has an Allosaurus who is quite a big bigger but harder to pose due to its stance.
I'm think of getting a 2nd one to paint up as an Australovenator wintonensis
http://australianageofdinosaurs.com/painting-banjo-allosaurus.php

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Flight878 has a detailed description of his method of creating a burshed steel look to the grip at FPN in KrazyIvan's black Studio review:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224387-lamy-studio-review/page__view__findpost__p__2387456

After a while I've gotten used to the chrome grip section.

The Velociraptor model is very detailed and has an articulated jaw.
The same range also has an Allosaurus who is quite a big bigger but harder to pose due to its stance.
I'm think of getting a 2nd one to paint up as an Australovenator wintonensis
http://australianageofdinosaurs.com/painting-banjo-allosaurus.php

You put that model together and painted it?

Bogon07
August 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM
You put that model together and painted it?

No it comes prepainted and assembled. The paint work on these dinosaurs are very good.

Maja
August 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks!
:thank_you2: