PDA

View Full Version : have any of you had another person tell you they got charged for a wax seal ?

phonelady61
January 3rd, 2015, 01:58 PM
what I mean is my pen pals told me she got charged for the wax seal on the envelope that I sent her letter in ...this is the first time I have ever heard that .. just wondering if any of you have run into this problem ? that is just wrong so now as a result she does not want me to use wax seals on my letters t0 her which stinks because I love doing them .

tandaina
January 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing it put the letter over weight? The seal counts in the weight limit, so weigh it before you affix postage and put extra if necessary. Or it might be because with the wax seal it has to be hand sorted instead of using the machine, which they will also charge a "handling fee" for. I'd take one in to your post office, find out what the full charge is,then be sure to do that every time instead of just affixing a first class stamp. Sorry, but I'm not surprised.

Cob
January 3rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Here in England, I have sent and received quite a few (including from abroad) and have had no problems.

Cob

Dreck
January 3rd, 2015, 03:35 PM
I took one letter to the post office to ensure it had sufficient postage, and our postmistress told me it would cost extra because envelopes with wax seals need to be hand-canceled for fear the wax might damage the postal equipment.
I took back the envelope and asked what would have happened if I'd simply left it in my mailbox. Would it incur additional charges for my recipient? She replied no. It would simply be run through the system like every other piece of mail, so long as I'd provided postage sufficient for the weight.
I've not taken an envelope to the service window since, and none of my correspondents have complained of being charged to receive my letters.

Chrissy
January 3rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Here in England, I have sent and received quite a few (including from abroad) and have had no problems.

Cob
I assume that as long as they fit through the small letter slot they are OK. If they don't then additional postage will be charged to the recipient

Cob
January 3rd, 2015, 03:58 PM
I took one letter to the post office to ensure it had sufficient postage, and our postmistress told me it would cost extra because envelopes with wax seals need to be hand-canceled for fear the wax might damage the postal equipment.
I took back the envelope and asked what would have happened if I'd simply left it in my mailbox. Would it incur additional charges for my recipient? She replied no. It would simply be run through the system like every other piece of mail, so long as I'd provided postage sufficient for the weight.
I've not taken an envelope to the service window since, and none of my correspondents have complained of being charged to receive my letters.

I have taken mine to the counter (here in England) and the clerk never says anything!

Cob

Chrissy
January 3rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
I have taken mine to the counter (here in England) and the clerk never says anything!

Cob

I assume that, at least for the UK, the clerk ensures it fits through the slot and weighs less than 100grams.

For International, it would have to weigh less than 10grams for the 97p Airmail stamp, or fit through the small letter slot, and weigh less than 20grams for the economy 81p stamp

Cob
January 3rd, 2015, 04:23 PM

Cob

I assume that, at least for the UK, the clerk ensures it fits through the slot and weighs less than 100grams.

For International, it would have to weigh less than 10grams for the 97p Airmail stamp, or fit through the small letter slot, and weigh less than 20grams for the economy 81p stamp

Yes, sometimes they run them through the slot, other times just glance at them.

Cob

Laura N
January 3rd, 2015, 04:52 PM
I have to pay an extra 20 cents and take it to the counter for hand-cancelling. When I didn't know this, my letter arrived normally but the seal had come off, presumably because of the sorting machine. That must vary depending on the equipment used in your particular location, because I've gotten letters with seals without any extra postage paid. I just know in our region the machines remove the seal.

Dreck
January 3rd, 2015, 04:58 PM
I've sent and received wax-sealed envelopes from correspondents in all party's of the States without additional postage or the seals coming off in the postal machinery

Bogon07
January 3rd, 2015, 06:30 PM
In Australia I've rec'd letters with wax seals from both Europe/UK & USA without any extra postage charges. Some have come through the postal systems most in pristine condition; some with a bit scraped off and others rarely - completely removed just leaving a waxy stain on the envelope.
I don't think Australia post really care too much unless the letter gets jammed in their sorting machines. After all they they only seem to frank about 50% of their letters.

Australia Post has a flat charge of $2.75 for letters up to 50gms for the rest of the world (Europe/UK & USA).

I you are concerned about the wax seal being damaged or causing damage to the mail machinery perhaps try folding and wax sealing the letter then putting it in a normally sealed envelope unless that pushes it over your weight limit.

reprieve
January 3rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
I've never paid extra for a wax seal, and I've never put additional postage on the envelope when mailing one out. It never occurred to me. I just drop my letters in the letterbox. As far as I know, all of the seals I've sent have survived; Herbin's supple wax is surprisingly robust.