PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Model Line??

Willieboy
January 5th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Folks,

I've been thinking about purchasing a Sailor pen and have questions about the differences between their offerings.

I thought it was the case there was no difference between the 1911 and the Professional Gear pens. However, there seems to be a significant difference in price. Can anyone tell me how these pens differ, other than cosmetically?

Then, what are the differences between the standard lines and the Realo? I can see the visible ink window on the Realo and I think the Realo has the 21 k nib. Are those the only differences? Anything else going on inside the pens, e.g. brass versus plastic? I appreciate your help.

mhosea
January 5th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I haven't looked at the Professional Gear II pens (new clip, at least--that's all I really know about them), but previously the Professional Gear and 1911 pens were identical in every respect except for the end pieces, with the 1911 being smoothly contoured, rounded extensions and the Professional Gear flat end caps. But you could put the trim in alignment and everything matched perfectly. The sections are interchangeable. Probably all the pieces are interchangeable (though I've never been able to unscrew the end caps, not that I've ever tried very hard).

Sailor has a large number of nibs, and you can get most of them on either model.

Note that they come in different sizes, so be sure that you're comparing the same sizes across the different models, not, say comparing a Pro Gear Sapporo to a 1911 Large.

http://www.nibs.com/SailorPens.htm

Realo is their piston filling version, but the nibs are the same. I'd lay pretty good odds on the feeds being the same, too, and the outer section sleeve, but the internals of the section are probably made without any metallic parts.

Willieboy
January 5th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks for your response Mike. I ordered a black w/gold trim Sapporo with fine nib. I really like the Professional Gear lines versus the 1911. I'm also okay with a slightly smaller size.

Jon Szanto
January 5th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I ended up buying a (full-size) Pro Gear earlier this year on PenTrace, with a Fine nib. Honestly, I don't own a single pen that has one me over like this on. I have never taken on well with fine/x-fine nibs, but this thing is so smooth, and the pen so perfectly balanced in my hand, that I can't stop using it. Crazy good.

I plan on getting a Realo, and am sorely tempted, despite the higher price, by the LE that Mottishaw is offering. Yikes.

mhosea
January 5th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I've always gone with the medium and broad Sailor nibs, and had to smooth them, but I have heard that their fine nibs are good. I'm going to have to try one someday.

Lady Onogaro
January 5th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I have a Pro Gear Slim with a Fine nib, and it is a favorite. I like it more than the Pilot fine nib, in fact.

Willieboy
January 5th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I have a Pro Gear Slim with a Fine nib, and it is a favorite. I like it more than the Pilot fine nib, in fact.

I also have a Namiki Falcon fine nib. It will be interesting to compare the two.