PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan: How it's Made

ChrisC
January 7th, 2015, 08:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWhEytzwVmA

I wish they had high quality videos back in the 50s. I'd really like to watch them hand grinding those nibs. Unless they had automated nib smoothing and grinding back then, too?

Hawk
January 7th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Thank you!

earthdawn
January 7th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Wow that was awesome !!!!!

It's all about this lol

What a tray...

Jeph
January 8th, 2015, 01:26 AM
That is a great video, and yet it still does not do the process justice. I got an extended tour from my "Make a Wish Nib" visit and left very impressed. You get a hint of it in the video, but after each step a human looks at each and every part by both eye and feel plus they have a zillion special measurement tools for every conceivable thing. I also got to see the actual Pelikan drawings for the nibs themselves. The tolerances are very, very tight. And from talking to the people doing the work they take great pride in what they do. Some of those nib steps were hidden from me but I did get to see them weld on the tipping and cut the slit. Just at that station there were plies of those nib trays. It is enough to take your breath away. In the nib unit assembly part, where the three nib units are pressed upside down onto the bar that is where they are heat setting the (modern plastic) feeds to the nibs. I talked to that lady (that assembled the nib units) for a good 10 minutes and was blown away with how particular she was and how exacting her tools were. And how efficiently she worked, even while talking to me. It is a shame that I could not take any pictures (or videos) while I was there.

kbrede
January 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Cool video. What model is that pen? I really like that green.
Thanks,
Kent

Rusty888
January 8th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Cool video. What model is that pen? I really like that green.
Thanks,
Kent

given the brass mechanisms id say m1000 or m800