PDA

View Full Version : Goulet Pens - Very Good

Willieboy
January 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I just placed another order with Goulet Pens. This company's service is really top notch. I think their business model is something to behold. They produce informative Youtube videos that generates interest in their products. The videos are presented by a handsome. articulate and knowledgeable young man. Their product offerings are sufficiently broad, although I wish they carried Sailors. And, they deliver propmptly, a big one for me. What could be finer.

gbryal
January 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM
And they pack their boxes extremely well. And give you a lollipop and a bookmark. And a personal note.

jjdeal
January 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I have been buying from the Goulets since they opened and was a charter member of the Ink Drop program. They have customer service figured out...if I were younger, I'd want to work there :)

Chrissy
January 8th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I like Goulet's service too. Mind you it took a month from December 3rd, for my December InkDrop to arrive, but most of that time was spent by USPS sending it to several states and back for 23 days

Lady Onogaro
January 8th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I like Goulet's service too. Mind you it took a month from December 3rd, for my December InkDrop to arrive, but most of that time was spent by USPS sending it to several states and back for 23 days

That's crazy, Chrissy! Why did they do that?

One of my packages went from Virginia to Colorado and then back south to Louisiana. It was ink, so I am thinking there was someone somewhere worried about liquids.

Willieboy
January 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM

Man Chrissy, I can sympathize. The USPS couldn't find its own butt with a flashlight, mirror and anatomy chart. I can't tell you how many packages they have lost in the last couple months. Regular mail, first class mail, priority mail, it doesn't matter. They lose them all with equal aplomb. And that tracking system? Don't get me started. Yet another American institution that has utterly fallen apart.

Chrissy
January 9th, 2015, 04:35 AM

That's crazy, Chrissy! Why did they do that?

One of my packages went from Virginia to Colorado and then back south to Louisiana. It was ink, so I am thinking there was someone somewhere worried about liquids.

I wish I knew. I checked out the tracking history. It left Ashland VA 3rd, arrived at Sandston VA 4th, left Sandston VA 4th, then arrived in Capitol Heights MD on 16th. Why it went there I don't know. It left C.H MD on 17th and arrived back in Sandston VA on 19th, then it left Sandston VA again and went to Chicago. It was stated as arrived at Chicago on 23rd. I received it last week in the UK. So it was actually quicker travelling from Chicago to England, than it took to get it to Chicago from VA.

Sailor Kenshin
January 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Happened to me, but with UPs. I think it may be due to hiring temps who don't know the routines for the holidays.

Willieboy
January 9th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I may have an explanation for one of my failed deliveries. I spoke with Customer Service at the USPS this morning. Here's the story:

I paid for priority mailing of my parcel. The retailed charged me $5.75 for priority mail delivery. The invoice provided by the retailer says: "Priority Mail - Flat Rate Envelope." When I spoke with the USPS, they said the mail service purchased by the retailer was First Class Mail and the retailer paid $2.50 to the USPS. Ain't life grand?

I have written to the retailer asking for truth. I have also called them. No answer to my phone call and no response to either my phone message or my email. Maybe they took the day off.

Bart Willems
January 9th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I wish I knew. I checked out the tracking history. It left Ashland VA 3rd, arrived at Sandston VA 4th, left Sandston VA 4th, then arrived in Capitol Heights MD on 16th. Why it went there I don't know. It left C.H MD on 17th and arrived back in Sandston VA on 19th, then it left Sandston VA again and went to Chicago. It was stated as arrived at Chicago on 23rd. I received it last week in the UK. So it was actually quicker travelling from Chicago to England, than it took to get it to Chicago from VA.

Especially around the holidays with many temps working mistakes are made reading the labels. Perhaps it was assumed to be a domestic destination before someone found out? I recall, years ago, seeing a screenshot of tracking done on a UPS package that was sent from Atlanta, Georgia, to Willemstad, Curaçao (for those not in the know: the Dutch Antilles, in the Caribbean). It got sent three times to France (apparently a major UPS hub) routed for Willemstad, the Netherlands, where it promptly was sent back to the USA before they finally figured it out.

USPS tracking has greatly improved though; nowadays I usually get "life tracking" (the way UPS and Fedex do it) with a good amount of accuracy, where in the past I'd have the package in my hand and get a message from USPS telling me "we have received the routing slip and are waiting for the package to be submitted to the post office"

DMurphy
January 9th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I am a GouletPens.com fanboy, there I said it and I have the ink stained fingers to prove it!

The one time that I had an issue with a Lamy nib that actually did not have two tines! I contacted customer service and sent some photos and they immediately sent out a replacement nib and some ink samples. Stand up company that cares about what they do and invest in the people they have touching each one of their customers. That last part really reads "all of their people."

Neo
January 10th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I may have an explanation for one of my failed deliveries. I spoke with Customer Service at the USPS this morning. Here's the story:

I paid for priority mailing of my parcel. The retailed charged me $5.75 for priority mail delivery. The invoice provided by the retailer says: "Priority Mail - Flat Rate Envelope." When I spoke with the USPS, they said the mail service purchased by the retailer was First Class Mail and the retailer paid $2.50 to the USPS. Ain't life grand?

I have written to the retailer asking for truth. I have also called them. No answer to my phone call and no response to either my phone message or my email. Maybe they took the day off.

Was the retailers GPC?

Chrissy
January 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Especially around the holidays with many temps working mistakes are made reading the labels. Perhaps it was assumed to be a domestic destination before someone found out?

Thanks. That could explain it.

Bart Willems
January 10th, 2015, 06:19 PM

A company I worked for once sent a container to St. Petersburg, Florida instead of St. Petersburg, Russia. That took nearly a million dollars to rectify. Silly little mistakes :)

Neo
January 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM

A company I worked for once sent a container to St. Petersburg, Florida instead of St. Petersburg, Russia. That took nearly a million dollars to rectify. Silly little mistakes :)

:jaw:

Bart Willems
January 10th, 2015, 07:34 PM
A clause in the contract stipulating hefty fines for late deliveries (I think it was medical goods. Perhaps blood). But with one calendar day left the only option was airlifting. Have you ever bought a ticket at the airport counter? Now imagine doing that with fifteen metric tons... Still cheaper than paying the fine.

If the US Postal Service was confronted with those kind of clauses they wouldn't make mistakes. Of course, it would also be a tiny bit more expensive.

Neo
January 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
A clause in the contract stipulating hefty fines for late deliveries (I think it was medical goods. Perhaps blood). But with one calendar day left the only option was airlifting. Have you ever bought a ticket at the airport counter? Now imagine doing that with fifteen metric tons... Still cheaper than paying the fine.

If the US Postal Service was confronted with those kind of clauses they wouldn't make mistakes. Of course, it would also be a tiny bit more expensive.

The worker's union may have an issue with the tighter standards.....

Josephtibbetts
August 2nd, 2015, 07:46 PM
+1 to Goulet pens, any time I've had an issue they've more than taken care of it. Normally with very few questions asked.

Bjones9942
August 13th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Another +1 for GouletPens.com. I'm just getting into the fountain pen realm and their videos are just outstanding. Prices are competitive, the website is informative, and shipping is excellent. I've yet to have a problem, other than the candy seems to be shrinking, or someone took a few licks from my last one!

Neo
August 13th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Another +1 for GouletPens.com. I'm just getting into the fountain pen realm and their videos are just outstanding. Prices are competitive, the website is informative, and shipping is excellent. I've yet to have a problem, other than the candy seems to be shrinking, or someone took a few licks from my last one!

Hmm, mm, maybe someone is hungry as my candy wasn't there at all....

TSherbs
August 15th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I am less enamored by the Goulet Pen company. I think that their level of plastic (and other freebies) in their packaging is wasteful and unnecessary, and I have found that their packing turn-around times are not as fast as some other smaller vendors. I also find that the speed with which they sell out items is aggravating, so I simply purchase from other vendors, came the same quality product--sometimes for less money--sometimes more quickly--and with less wasteful packaging. And nothing has ever arrived damaged, not even from China or Japan. They told me that it is because they don't want returns that they use so much plastic, but I have never received a damaged pen-related item from anywhere on the planet. Really, I think that that is a weak excuse not to use a more bio-degradable product and use less of it.

Lollipops? Really, folks? I chuck mine right out (It is not healthy for you). Why send your customers a body pollutant?

Nineninenine
March 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Bought from Goulet Pens twice so far. Its not the packaging that wins me over (I do like the lollipop the one time I got it but I just see it as a cute extra but not a big deal), but I feel like it's one of the many thoughtful details that this company seems "known for". I feel like that extra effort is part of their brand, and that gives me positive vibes about buying there. I do agree some things are more expensive there than elsewhere, but if it's a matter of a couple of dollars difference I'd buy from Goulet, especially if I was already going to buy something else from them.

YouTube videos - I feel that this is something that makes Goulet more visible to potential customers, yes, but I have learned details about products and how to use them through these videos. It feels very clear to me that they spend a lot of time and thought on giving people as many answers to potential questions as they can in each video.
Social media - YouTube is an example, periscope, Instagram (I think their Monday ink matchup contest is a great idea), twitter, newsletter, blog, contests (I loved their thanksgiving one), are others. These all give me the impression that this is a company that is with the times. The are trying to engage the community where they are.
things they offer I hadnt seen elsewhere - monthly ink drop subscription, mini notebook sampler set to test different paper types, ink sample sets, etc.
website - and their website is really nice. Its easy to navigate both on my PC or tablet. It's got a clean design, and its very easy to narrow down a search by brand, color, properties, what have you. The pictures are professional. Where applicable product pages have videos embedded. The website has comparison tools of writing samples. It allows users to review products. It allows users to ask questions on a product on the product page.

If all those things appeal, it makes for a positive experiance.

bluesea
March 19th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I've been able to find alternative online stores for my last handful of orders.

Armstrong
March 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM
My father used to do some maintenance on the USPS automatic sorting machines. They are something of a monstrosity. He is an engineer and was impressed at the rate they process the vast majority of mail quite successfully. You have to consider the volume they deal with. I doubt any other country sees the volume of traffic they handle except maybe China. The main issue he saw was machines going out of calibration or just getting dirty. There is a lot of paper dust generated during automated handling. So, it is likely, the machine reader misread the package address in the bar code, or couldn't read it. It may have kicked it for human sorting which introduces human errors, etc.

There is also the issue of terrorism. This does cause a lot more interest in the actual content of a package. It has to if for no other reason than the safety of postal employees. Since explosives, for instance, can be in a binary liquid form, safer for shipping that way. It could be any package imaged via x-ray and shown to contain liquids was shipped for closer imaging and inspection. Not to mention things like chemical war agents and so on. The problem is that you have no idea what some person might do terror wise. So the only thing you can do is inspect more closely and institute safe guards - and hope it is enough knowing it probably will not be at some point. I don't know this directly like the above issue. But, I used to be involved in military intell and some corporate security so I think it likely.

Combine the issues of shear volume and greatly enhanced security you end up with a tremendously difficult problem. When I worked for Boeing at a small engineering site we had to build a separate, enclosed and ventilated set of rooms just to handle the mail our small outfit had to handle. It also had one full wall of plexiglass so someone outside could monitor the safety of those working inside. It is a huge problem. The USPS is really between a rock and a hard place because of it. Nobody does the volume they do and delivers the vast majority of packages and letters problem free I think for the price they do it. I got a pen shipped from a seller recently via USPS priority mail. It arrived in close 24 hours from the east coast to Colorado for six bucks. Not bad I think. I'm not being a USPS fan, just that there really is an almost unimaginable challenge caused by the world's current security situation and the volume of material they ship. Not saying there isn't room for improvement either though...

TSherbs
March 19th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Armstrong, I am incredibly grateful for USPS and other delivery outfits. I live in a rural area in a corner of the country, and I receive everything mailed to me, and all I have to do in return is put a letter in my mailbox, put the flag up, and it goes to any other corner of the globe. I get pens sent in tiny envelopes from tiny shops in Guonzhou right to my little mailbox in Cornerville, USA, for crying out loud. How good is that!

Armstrong
March 19th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Sure thing. I didn't mean to sound gripey if I did. It is just an issue most people don't have an inside look at.

Titivillus
March 19th, 2016, 06:15 PM

There is an Elm Street and Elm Court in the same city I live in. This means that there is a crap shoot as to whether I will get my package! Since st and ct look too much alike.

Abbyw2
August 31st, 2016, 12:49 PM
I'm a Goulet fan myself. Great customer service. The people handling service actually know about the products and have actual knowledge to help recommend pens and inks to meet needs. Response to problems is also quick.
I could wish they had more selection, but any source will sometimes not have something you want. I haven't found any better selection anywhere else. Pricing is very competitive. The videos are very informative.

Laura N
August 31st, 2016, 02:19 PM
I am less enamored by the Goulet Pen company. I think that their level of plastic (and other freebies) in their packaging is wasteful and unnecessary, and I have found that their packing turn-around times are not as fast as some other smaller vendors. I also find that the speed with which they sell out items is aggravating, so I simply purchase from other vendors, came the same quality product--sometimes for less money--sometimes more quickly--and with less wasteful packaging. And nothing has ever arrived damaged, not even from China or Japan. They told me that it is because they don't want returns that they use so much plastic, but I have never received a damaged pen-related item from anywhere on the planet. Really, I think that that is a weak excuse not to use a more bio-degradable product and use less of it.

Lollipops? Really, folks? I chuck mine right out (It is not healthy for you). Why send your customers a body pollutant?

Oh my gosh, it's like you're my twin. Agreed on all points. And mostly I just can't get past the prices. When they started their prices seemed like everyone else, except they also offered a discount, but once they became the Amazon of internet pen and ink retailers, their prices seemed to go higher, and their shipping charges are also extremely high, at least to me in Chicago.

But they've been so successful, so full credit to them for knowing how to run their business. It's just the premium they charge isn't justified for me, and really isn't affordable for me. There are so many other great retailers who offer lower prices and free shipping, with occasional sales and discounts, and I prefer that model of internet business.

However, total respect to those who do choose them. If you get value from the videos and the other marketing materials then shopping there is perfect. I think it's great to have a lot of different options.

SIR
September 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Oh my gosh, it's like you're my twin. Agreed on all points. And mostly I just can't get past the prices. When they started their prices seemed like everyone else, except they also offered a discount, but once they became the Amazon of internet pen and ink retailers, their prices seemed to go higher, and their shipping charges are also extremely high, at least to me in Chicago.

But they've been so successful, so full credit to them for knowing how to run their business. It's just the premium they charge isn't justified for me, and really isn't affordable for me. There are so many other great retailers who offer lower prices and free shipping, with occasional sales and discounts, and I prefer that model of internet business.

However, total respect to those who do choose them. If you get value from the videos and the other marketing materials then shopping there is perfect. I think it's great to have a lot of different options.

Cult Pens in the UK also include sugary globules of porcine blubber which I somewhat grudgingly ingest whilst checking all that I ordered is intact and as specified.

I will and do shop elsewhere if the price is better and the service satisfactory.

penwash
September 4th, 2016, 02:23 PM

Then we are a triplet!
It's not that Goulet is bad, but everything good that is said about them being knowledgeable also applies to Vanness, AndersonPens, Pentooling, Woodbin, and pretty much every fountain pen vendors I've dealt with. My favorite is still Vanness, they have a purchase minimum for free shipping, which I gladly fulfill resulting in larger amount per order. And more importantly, repeat orders from me.

And I agree about the packing used as an excuse to charge expensive S/H cost. That is not very classy in my book.