PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Vac700 Review

FPInkGeek
January 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Check out the full review with pictures on my blog - http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/2015/01/twsbi-vac700-review.html
Appearance & Design (1-10) - (10/10)

Construction & Quality (1-10) - Score 10/10

Weight & Dimensions (1-10) - Score 7/10.

Nib & Performance (1-10) - Score 6/10

Filling System & Maintenance (1-10) - Score 10/10

Cost & Value (1-10) - Score 6/10

Conclusion (1-10) - So the selling points of this pen are it's really cool filling system and massive size. If that attracts you than this pen is a no-brainier. All in all I really enjoy the Vac 700, but I think I will stick to the standard piston filling TWSBI's for now. Final Score 8.1666/10

alc3261
January 10th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Slandered Piston Filling TWSBIs?

cwent2
January 10th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Overall a good review, I do have to object to a couple of your points however, I believe that a review should be the reviewer's perspective, so I don't understand -- "I would give this a higher ranking, but I can definitely see some people not liking it due to size, so Score 7/10."

Nib & Performance (1-10) - This nib has had some work done to it by ArtsNibs, but exactly what that work was I am not sure. The Vac700 has been historically plagued by dry nibs, and this one is not (big) exception to that rule. The nib is wet, but I would like my broads to be wetter than this. I think the nib has also been turned into a sort of stub, but also with that I get a lot of scratchiness on right strokes unless the nib is positioned correctly. But when the position is right the nib is buttery smooth and a joy to write with. Score 6/10

Cost & Value (1-10) - I am not exactly sure what to do here. I love the pen and want one of my own now, but I just don't know if it is worth the 65$ asking price. Nothing is wrong with the pen, but I just don't think I make a connection with it. Score 6/10 but you state before this "and make it feel like you are using a pen worth a lot more than just 65$."

Just a wee bit inconstant....

Regards

FPInkGeek
January 10th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Overall a good review, I do have to object to a couple of your points however, I believe that a review should be the reviewer's perspective, so I don't understand -- "I would give this a higher ranking, but I can definitely see some people not liking it due to size, so Score 7/10."

Nib & Performance (1-10) - This nib has had some work done to it by ArtsNibs, but exactly what that work was I am not sure. The Vac700 has been historically plagued by dry nibs, and this one is not (big) exception to that rule. The nib is wet, but I would like my broads to be wetter than this. I think the nib has also been turned into a sort of stub, but also with that I get a lot of scratchiness on right strokes unless the nib is positioned correctly. But when the position is right the nib is buttery smooth and a joy to write with. Score 6/10

Cost & Value (1-10) - I am not exactly sure what to do here. I love the pen and want one of my own now, but I just don't know if it is worth the 65$ asking price. Nothing is wrong with the pen, but I just don't think I make a connection with it. Score 6/10 but you state before this "and make it feel like you are using a pen worth a lot more than just 65$."

Just a wee bit inconstant....

Regards

Alright so I will explain.
1st - I can see where you are coming from with the idea that the review should come from my perspective only, but I am trying to also not just think about myself here. I personally like the larger size but it is very easy to see why some would not, so in a review where I am trying to show others if they would like the pen or not (and not just if I like the pen) I try to take them into account. I am was not thinking about other people at all I would have most likely given this pen an 8 in that scoring section, and if I was thinking solely about people who enjoyed smaller pens I would have given it a 5 instead. So I felt like a 7 was plenty generous.
2nd - I am not exactly sure what you have wrong with what I said about the smoothness of the nib. But I think you are asking why I gave it a lower score when I said it could be smooth. The reason is because in my go to writing position I feel scratch on the right strokes and I must alter the way I write in order for it to be smooth. So I again I chose a happy medium with my scores. If I had the scratch issues no matter what I would have given the nib a 4, and it was perfectly smooth I would have done an 8. Remember that smoothness is not the only reason I counted down on this aspect, I didn't love the drier nib that it came with.
3rd - When it comes to the size of the pen if you first pick it up and hold it then you get the impression that the pen would be a very expensive pen. It is large and well made with nicer materials. But, for me, after I had begun to use it I could not justify the price of $65 for the pen for a few reasons. If a pen has extremely good construction, but terrible performance (which I am not saying this pen had at all, this is just an example) then I would obviously give it a lower ranking.
Thank you for the read, and for your feedback. I hope I cleared a little up for you.

And @alc3261 that was just a mere typo. I meant standard.

cwent2
January 11th, 2015, 12:26 AM
No issue or problem, just my two cents worth - As far as nibs go, some have that sweet spot. Reviews are after all subjective.

regards