PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 nib swap

theyarnyard
January 11th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Hello.
I have a 51 which I think is one of the more recent versions, as it has a squared off bottom to the barrel. It has a lovely broad oblique nib.
Unfortunately a couple of years ago it came into contact with something in my bag - possibly perfume - and the barrel has "melted" and deformed. The filler is stuck inside.

I also have an older round bottomed 51 with a medium nib, but the thread on the barrel seems to be different, and I can't just swap the barrels over.

I want to use the broad oblique nib. Would it be possible to exchange the medium nib for the broad oblique? This would give me a "whole" pen.

I'm not proposing to do this myself, but I just want to know if it's possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Farmboy
January 11th, 2015, 10:08 AM
All 51 nibs are the same. The swap is easily done. If you are sending out the pens have it rebuilt at the same time. It might be that replacement parts are available and you will have two pens. Also possible is you could trade in your unwanted pen carcass as shop credit.

Todd

theyarnyard
January 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM
That's excellent news.
I hope that if it's not hard to do, it won't be expensive!

I looked around to see how difficult removing the nib is, but I understand that the broad oblique nibs are less common and I don't want to damage it.

Thank you.

tandaina
January 11th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Yes broad oblique Parker 51 nibs are rare. At least I've never seen one. Worth being careful with!

Farmboy
January 11th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Figure a complete cleaning and repair if needed and nib swap for around 30.