PDA

View Full Version : Two new pencils: Safari and Waterman

gbryal
January 15th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Two recent acquisitions, and really, the first mechanical pencils I paid more than five bucks for.

I got a nice, working Waterman blue and cream pencil to pair with my similar fountain pens, which I like I lot, though the lead is thicker than I prefer.
I also got a yellow Safari pencil that, well, it matches my Safari pen in color, but it has a seam on 2 sides that sticks out and is annoying.

In a box of stuff I need to sort through, I have another vintage pencil I should post here; it looks like a waterman grey and red pencil, but doesn't have any visible markings saying so. Also a short dip pen/pencil combo in BCHR that I can't identify. The nib is soldered to a shaft inside; it looks like a repair. The pencil part seems to work.

Jeph
January 16th, 2015, 01:49 AM
:postpics:

gbryal
January 16th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Muahaha!

Don't worry, they are coming.

But the thread might still be worthless.

Jeph
January 16th, 2015, 03:07 AM
Muahaha!

Don't worry, they are coming.

But the thread might still be worthless.

Never if there are pictures!

gbryal
January 16th, 2015, 03:14 AM
First the Waterman:

Then the unknown dip pen/pencil:

The Safari. See the seam running down the side? There is one on the other side also.

This is the unknown pencil. Maybe a Waterman?

And just because my original post was lame, here's a random dip pen I haven't identified.

Jeph
January 16th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Yeah, the ridges on the Lamy pencil are pretty lame.
That black and gold colored pencil is pretty neat.
The no-name pencil is also pretty nice looking with nice celluloid.
But I think the unknown dip pen at the bottom is the star of the post in my opinion.

Laura N
January 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Not to highjack this lovely pencil thread, but I have the Lamy Safari ballpoint, which seems to have an identical body, and I have never noticed the ridges until just now, when I saw your pencil photo and thought to check. So I am pretty sure they won't prove to be uncomfortable when you use them.

I bought the ballpoint for my desk so others looking for a pen (principally, my husband) would find one that didn't give them fits. Which is why I chose pink -- to make sure "they" would put it back after use. :) I have to say, I don't like ballpoints much, but with a Monteverde refill, it actually writes nicely. Now I sort of wish I had the pencil, too.

Pencil envy! :)

Cob
January 18th, 2015, 04:23 PM
It's been a while since I bought a pencil. I paid too much for this one for the material, which matches a pen I bought recently; unfortunately it has gold-filled parts whilst the pen has chrome! This is mad - as soon as I realised my mistake I saw a pen with matching gold-filled parts but sadly was outbid. Could run and run!
Cob

chaaseemmie
March 29th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Nice collection of pens.
i think they should be sharper not thicker.

jonveley
April 12th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Hi, time to un-hijack.....

The Victorian pen/pencil combo looks like a Fairchild patent. Is there a patent date on it?

The "unknown pencil maybe a Waterman" is not Waterman by any stretch. It was made by Parker, as the dimples around the tip indicate. In addition, I'll bet you a quarter if you pull that cap off, you'll find a Parker lead cartridge (or an unmarked lead cartridge identical to a Parker one) under that cap.