PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Parker Vacumatic Standard

mhosea
January 15th, 2015, 09:22 PM
So, I picked up a silver pearl vac standard off eBay the other day.

It's not a particularly attractive one. Transparency is OK (heavily ambered but pretty clear), but the plating on the cap bands is toast, and it's missing the cap jewel. When I got it, I found that the barrel threads don't engage very well (cap stays on, but with a very short twist).

I don't know that much about vac history, but a vac standard with a lockdown filler wasn't something I thought they were making anymore by 1944. Anyway, it's very much like my 37 silver pearl vac standard, which I quite like, except that the grip on this pen is slightly narrower, and the nib is slightly smaller.

However, I got it because I liked the look of the nib, with most of its plating still intact The nib shape, however, was more reminiscent of modern Parkers like my Duofold Centennial, only smaller.

It looked like it would be easy to smooth, if it even needed smoothing.

I was expecting a firm. As I dry scribbled with it on some Tomoe River paper, I noted that it was already quite smooth. Hopefully it wouldn't have too much baby's bottom. I'll find out about that later, but imagine my surprise when I applied a modicum of pressure and saw this

A semi-flexible nib was the last thing I expected here. It's cool though. I bought it for the nib, and I got a pretty cool nib.

Jon Szanto
January 15th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Good fortune, congrats!

mhosea
January 15th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks. I did a little more research and figured the simplest explanation was that 44 did not mean 1944. Rather, this is the earlier system, meaning 4th quarter of 1934. Now it makes sense.

mhosea
January 16th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Whoohoo! 0.4mm (on horizontal stroke, smallest downstroke is about 0.6mm) to 1.8mm.

Chi Town
January 16th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Some people have all the luck :-)

Lady Onogaro
January 17th, 2015, 07:39 AM
My goodness, that nib writes beautifully. Good catch, Mike!

Crazyorange
January 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Sweet!!! Congrats!

mhosea
January 17th, 2015, 04:47 PM
My goodness, that nib writes beautifully.

Yeah, it, along with the cream Tomoe River paper, almost makes Waterman Serenity Blue worth using. ;)

Mags
January 18th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Nice find.