PDA

View Full Version : Flexi nibs for pelikan

tnordl
January 17th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I have a 805 M and 2 205 F and I am searching for a flex nib or super flex. It does not have to be original. I wish to play around testing and grinding it down to stub etc., so cheaper the better. Any tips or links would be most welcome

tandaina
January 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Pelikan didn't make full flex nibs that I'm aware of. Many of the older nibs (pre-1950s) are semi-flex, but (in my opinion) it would be akin to heresy to do any grinding on those nibs!!!! There are limited supply available in the world, ruining them is... rude to those of us who adore and use such nibs. (Why would you *want* to grind a good flex nib into a stub anyway?)

Mr. Binder does modify modern gold Pelikan nibs for flex, but again, that's not cheap and not really something to play around with. Why does it have to be a Pelikan? If you want to test out flex, or grinding nibs you'd be way better off buying a Noodler's body and some random nibs (Noodlers or other standard #6 size nibs like the ones the Goulets sell) and grinding those, they're cheap, and still in production so no harm done if you ruin a nib.

tnordl
January 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Hi tandaina, thanks for your answer. As you can read from my post i am kind of a beginner comes to fountain pens. I promise i will not grind down any old rare nibs.

I wish to learn a bit about adjusting nibs. As I understand, a stub would increase the difference in the broadness of a line compared to a normal one. While a flex one is dependant on the pressure.

I would like to find cheap nibs of different sizes and stubbs. That i can experiment on and attached to my existing pens.

I live in norway and i am not sure that sort of Noodler will be available in europe are there any other brand that i can use or do i need to order it from overseas.

Any comments or further suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Silverbreeze
January 19th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Hmmm

If all else falls try emailing CultPens or SBRE Brown, as much as I hate to suggest asking Doc Brown because of how busy he is. The Netherlands would be much cheaper shipping the any store from North America.

A suggestion also check costs of dip pen nibs in your area. As they are almost all bare metal and meant to be replaced fairly often by artists as they wear down... it may be a better idea to start with them and a holder

tnordl
January 24th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Thanks Silver breeze.