PDA

View Full Version : Help with a boheme fake

j19hnd
January 17th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys I have just bought my first Montblanc it is a Boheme 5096 my problem is the individual serial number is the same number on other pens the number is MT1094088 it is on a pen in Dubai and one in Cyprus and another in Brazil plus the UK. Would this mean these are all fakes? Here is the EBay item number 111571991841 this is the pen I bought plus the retailer stamp in the book I cannot find them Prestige Signatures Miami Int Airport Terminal G Space #2150 Miami FL 33299 Tel 305-871-1900 Plus there web address is WWW.prestigesignatures.com. But when I shine a light throw the pen the light is red purple color which I have read is a good way to tell if the pen is real .P.S. I do not have a good enough camera to take any photos Plus under the clip is metal pix with a little blob at the top of the pix looks like a register mark . Any help would be great so if it is a fake I could try to get my money back. :)

tandaina
January 17th, 2015, 09:48 PM
The surest way is to take it to a Montblanc boutique. They can appraise if it is real or not. The pix doesn't mean anything, lots of fakes have that, serial numbers are also unreliable. For us to really help we would need pictures. Even cell phone photos. Take the pictures outside to get good light if you need to, and just make sure they are in focus. But Montblanc is the only one who can say for sure.

Chrissy
January 18th, 2015, 06:32 AM
The pen on that ebay listing number is an obvious fake Boheme in a fake Mb style box. The logo on that box isn't an authentic Mb logo. No Mb rollerball refill has ever been issued with a 'blob of stuff' on the end of it. Authentic refills come in plastic cases so that they can't dry out

You should open a case with ebay and say that the pen is a fake because you have found that there are many examples of pens with that same serial number as you have said. ebay will either refund your money or ask that you provide proof from Montblanc. If thay want proof you will have to go into a boutique and ask them.

j19hnd
January 18th, 2015, 07:03 AM
thanks guys .the blob is not on the refill if is right after pix under the clip and looks like a regester mark does the light shinning red through the pen mean anything i thought it showed it was precious resiin .

jar
January 18th, 2015, 08:09 AM
thanks guys .the blob is not on the refill if is right after pix under the clip and looks like a regester mark does the light shinning red through the pen mean anything i thought it showed it was precious resiin .

Light shining showing red means absolutely nothing these days. While not showing the red tint shows a fake, most of the fake makers these days use plastic with a red tint. If there are multiple examples of a serial number then it is most likely a fake so give MB a call and see what they can determine.

I hope your ball point is not a fake.

tandaina
January 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM
The auction item is clearly fake. The box is so fake it's embarrassing. Pen pics aren't clear but based on the box alone just mark it as fake and get your money back.

Chrissy
January 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM

There is a blob of wax or plastic or something right on the tip of the refill. Chinese fake refills have that on them to help stop them drying out. That guarantees that the refill is not a Mb refill, as authentic ones never have that. The pen, box and refill are definitely all fake items.

Neo
January 18th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Did you use a credit card? Perhaps you can open a fraud case with the bank?

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

j19hnd
January 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks folks I have opened a case through Ebay lets see how it goes .Thanks all for your fast help this site has a lot of nice people.

Silverbreeze
January 19th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks folks I have opened a case through Ebay lets see how it goes .Thanks all for your fast help this site has a lot of nice people.
Stay a while
We will grow on you [emoji5]

rakusak
April 22nd, 2015, 06:05 PM
Stay a while
We will grow on you [emoji5]

WOW, the same person has done it again! This time I am the victim... Here is the new auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollerball-Pen-Montblanc-Boheme-Noir-Model-5098-/251917843382?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Hlj0ezkl0xKoLKBPi7aOhYxYLPw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have opened up a case with Ebay and thanks to the previous person and all your comments, It was additional info to provide to Ebay!

tandaina
April 22nd, 2015, 06:14 PM
I know nothing about rollerballs so please, what marks it as fake? (don't really know Bohèmes at all)

Laura N
April 22nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
I know nothing about rollerballs so please, what marks it as fake? (don't really know Bohèmes at all)

I would be interested in this as well. Someone gave my husband a Boheme rollerball, and except for different finishes the one in post #11 looks just like his. There's no photo of the other end of the pen, which has threads for posting the cap, and that's an omission that could raise questions, I guess. But the box and service guide look like mine from my 90th anniversary LeGrand. I would have guessed it was legitimate. Which goes to show why one should be careful on eBay, I guess.

Chrissy
April 23rd, 2015, 01:50 AM
From this latest ebay listing it is much more difficult to authenticate the Boheme RB. My guess is that the seller removed the plastic 'blob' from the end of the refill. That would have been one pointer of a fake (see my other post above.) The serial number is another pointer as Montblanc only ever issue a serial number once and they always know what pen it was put on.

It also looks like an authentic box to me now. There is a definite slot in the centre that the pen pushes down into, rather than a cut-out hole that it could just rattle around in. The only people who could say whether this pen was authentic or not are Montblanc and they would need the serial number.

If I was buying a Montblanc pen on ebay I would ask for the serial number so that I could check it out. I would also check the boutique stamp in the warranty booklet. However many pens don't have that even when they are authentic.

If you buy a suspect BP or RB, then the first thing you could try is to fit a known authentic refill, from an authorised boutique. Fake refills generally have a slightly smaller diameter than authentic ones.

There are certain pens that are very commonly faked, and I tend to steer clear of them . This 'platinum trim' Boheme RB is one, as are 'platinum trim' Meisterstucks and Starwalkers. Fake Meisterstuck 144/145 FP's and Starwalker FP's are also common. The people who make them are improving them all the time.

You need to know every tiny detail about a pen that you are considering buying on ebay, so that you can at least match up possible authentic ones.

I like mango pudding
April 23rd, 2015, 09:06 PM
Why would you buy a pen from a seller whose feedback score is only at 4 and his selling history showed no pen sales history???

That should be enough of a red flag to steer clear

tandaina
April 23rd, 2015, 09:25 PM
Why would you buy a pen from a seller whose feedback score is only at 4 and his selling history showed no pen sales history???

That should be enough of a red flag to steer clear

If he's pretending to be a business then yes that's a red flag. But I've bought some lovely antique pens from regular Joe and Janes who didn't have much or any selling feedback (though lots of good buying feedback) and hadn't sold pens before. One lady was selling off her husband's handful of pens. Another had cleaned out the attic, etc. I got great pens (though they needed restoration) at great prices. (But these weren't commonly faked pens I was buying either...)

Laura N
April 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM

I guess I'd say, why not? I have no issue with that at all. Now, bad feedback I stay away from. But a new seller doesn't bother me. Lots of times if you read the text, there's a reasonable explanation -- like, "I'm clearing out my late father's things" or "I'm winding up my photography business." Everyone has to start selling at some point. It's on eBay, and there's buyer protection. YMMV.