PDA

View Full Version : Pre-LA Pen Show Pen Posse 2/8/2015

AltecGreen
January 18th, 2015, 04:57 PM
This is the annual pre-LA Pen Show Pen Posse. Let's plan our show strategy.

Sunday Feb. 8th

1:00 pm

10 El Camino Real
Millbrae, CA 94030

Jerome Tarshis
February 7th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I would like to come to this gathering, but have a serious commitment to attend at least part of a reception for a painter friend who has a show opening Sunday afternoon. If I get to Peter's at 2:30 or 3, is there a reasonable prospect that people will be stuck in, so to speak, and I won't have missed everything? In addition to hearing everyone's LA show daydreams, I'd like to show FarmBoy a nib unit that has both dripped huge drops of ink and skipped. Its twin has earned kudos from AltecGreen, so it isn't that the design is borked.

Jon Szanto
February 7th, 2015, 11:06 AM
This is the annual pre-LA Pen Show Pen Posse. Let's plan our show strategy.

Stratagem #1: Let's buy a couple of pens for Jon, and not with his money, either. That would be unique!

(Hey, it was just a thought!)

gweddig
February 7th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Stratagem #2: Let's help Jon leave with the pens he came with and the OPM pens he acquires.

(I couldn't resist, below the belt? Possibly but have fun at the show!)

Jon Szanto
February 7th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Stratagem #2: Let's help Jon leave with the pens he came with and the OPM pens he acquires.

Considering what happened at the SF Show, that's not a bad idea! I still owe this board a complete telling of the story, with photos of the outcome, but I'm behind the curve as always. Let it be said: pen friends are great friends.

Jerome Tarshis
February 7th, 2015, 11:57 PM

Considering what happened at the SF Show, that's not a bad idea! I still owe this board a complete telling of the story, with photos of the outcome, but I'm behind the curve as always. Let it be said: pen friends are great friends.

I am not very familiar with pen shows and pen buying. Although I seem to have a number of more or less duplicate pens whose acquisition defies rational understanding, I would like some further guidance. Do people at pen shows sometimes get excited and make more purchases than they had planned? I never would have thought it. So I hope Jon contributes his account of what must be a totally unparalleled experience.

Jon Szanto
February 8th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Do people at pen shows sometimes get excited and make more purchases than they had planned? I never would have thought it. So I hope Jon contributes his account of what must be a totally unparalleled experience.

To the first question: without a doubt. All you have to do is go and read one of Ricky's post-show threads, with all the pictures of thousands of pens... Imagine that you've been wanting to try pens, see them, hold them, but all you can do is look online or see a paltry few at some office supply store, and then you go to a show and BAM!!!! there are pens everywhere.

Oh, yeah. Bank accounts are trashed. People are cashing in aluminum cans. Relationships and marriages are on the rocks because pens.

As for the other: I left an everyday-carry case with my three new purchases at the SF Show right at one of the vendor's tables. He recognized it, got it into friend's hands (thanks, Greg Weddig and Loren Smith) and it eventually came back to me with the pens. I really do need to document it fully, because there are wonderful details...

AltecGreen
February 8th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Just heads up. I just received a message from Mr. Kuzuno of Stylo Art in Japan. He will be bringing a large assortment of his pens including some stunning make-i, urushi, raden, and rankaku pieces. They will have nibs from Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor available for his pens including Pilot FA ,Platinum SEF and also Naginata nibs. I've been helping them select nib assortments for the show.

Ms. Kazuno has a relationship with Takeda Hamono (http://takedahamono.com/english/) and will also be bringing in some Takeda kitchen knives. I've already requested certain knives.

Jon Szanto
February 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Just heads up. I just received a message from Mr. Kuzuno of Stylo Art in Japan. He will be bringing a large assortment of his pens including some stunning make-i, urushi, raden, and rankaku pieces. They will have nibs from Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor available for his pens including Pilot FA ,Platinum SEF and also Naginata nibs. I've been helping them select nib assortments for the show.

Wow. This is a development.

Ms. Kazuno has a relationship with Takeda Hamono (http://takedahamono.com/english/) and will also be bringing in some Takeda kitchen knives. I've already requested certain knives.

Any Hattori Hanzō swords going to make the trip?

Farmboy
February 8th, 2015, 12:13 PM

I'm reserving my knife buying for the SF Show in August. I need a Japanese style chef's knife.

ethernautrix
February 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM

I just asked in the other thread: Will Stylo Art be at the SF Pen Show? Please, please, please say yes!

pw1224
February 10th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I'd love to go to a local LA pen posse but work's kinda super-hyper these days. (Plus I don't know where Millbrae is. I do, at least have a gar in and a Thomas Guide.) the best I can do this year is just go to the show on Saturday and Sunday.

ac12
February 11th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I'd love to go to a local LA pen posse but work's kinda super-hyper these days. (Plus I don't know where Millbrae is. I do, at least have a gar in and a Thomas Guide.) the best I can do this year is just go to the show on Saturday and Sunday.

Where are you located?

Millbrae is on the SF peninsula.

pw1224
February 17th, 2015, 12:40 AM

Where are you located?

Millbrae is on the SF peninsula.
This explains why I don't know where it is.

I clearly mis-read the title, thinking that the meeting was in LA -- not the pen show (which clearly was in LA). Yeah... I'm on my own wavelength.