PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Custom 845 ~ Anyone have one?

earthdawn
January 20th, 2015, 12:02 AM
So I was curious if anyone has or had a Pilot Custom 845?

Love my new 823 but would love to here some feedback on the Urushi 845 version.

Thanks !!!

quinden
January 20th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I own both, and love them, but my Custom 845 gets wayyyy more use; the lighter weight + convenience of cartridges or a Con-70 are what seal the deal for me. Both post well.

The Custom 845's grip is still resin (and I wish it was urushi!).

I ordered the vermilion 845 from Tokyo Quill and it reminds me of the old Parker Duofolds in red/orange. Most 845s have an 18K nib, but Tokyo Quill offers it with the FA or WA nibs, which are 14k.

Neo
January 20th, 2015, 08:42 AM
There's a review on the Unroyal Warrant website.

earthdawn
January 21st, 2015, 12:27 AM
There's a review on the Unroyal Warrant website.

Thanks... good honest review!

@quinden thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

perfaddict
January 25th, 2015, 04:44 AM
I have the 845 in black urushi. This one large pen and sits comfortably in my hand. Its as if the non-urushi section was made for my fingers.

The 845 seems to generate some controversy, eespecially in the value-for-money conversations. The urushi that makes the 845 distinct from other similar Pilots is a finish that has to be seen and felt in the flesh to appreciate. Even the best photography does not communicate the specialness of the finish. I have 3 Nakayas with urushi finishes and that of the (cheaper) 845 holds its own in terms of gleam and feel. It is no less quality than the similar finish of my black Portable Writer. The 21k gold nib is another clincher for me. It is not so much better than the 14k one in the CH92 but i feel it is softer (both nibs are broad). I wouldnt want anything less on the 845, even at a lower price.

Immoteus
January 26th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I have the 845 in black urushi. This one large pen and sits comfortably in my hand. Its as if the non-urushi section was made for my fingers.

The 845 seems to generate some controversy, eespecially in the value-for-money conversations. The urushi that makes the 845 distinct from other similar Pilots is a finish that has to be seen and felt in the flesh to appreciate. Even the best photography does not communicate the specialness of the finish. I have 3 Nakayas with urushi finishes and that of the (cheaper) 845 holds its own in terms of gleam and feel. It is no less quality than the similar finish of my black Portable Writer. The 21k gold nib is another clincher for me. It is not so much better than the 14k one in the CH92 but i feel it is softer (both nibs are broad). I wouldnt want anything less on the 845, even at a lower price.

21k? I was under the impression that the 845 came with a 18k duo tone nib?

perfaddict
January 30th, 2015, 01:23 PM
21k? I was under the impression that the 845 came with a 18k duo tone nib?

Duo-tone, yes. But 21k.

perfaddict
January 30th, 2015, 01:25 PM

mhosea
January 30th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Never heard of a 21K Pilot nib. AFAIK, only Sailor makes 21K nibs. The pictured nib on the Pilot Custom 845 is clearly labeled 18K 750.

earthdawn
January 30th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Taizo from engeika emailed me back as I asked about getting just the nib to put in my 823 BUT while he can get them they are $195 ....

So I think when the moment is right I will just get the 845

and yea mhosea is right... 18K nib there but man I love the 2-tone look so much better.

mhosea
January 30th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Nothing wrong with the nib. There is nothing in particular to be desired about 21K. Sailor went off the deep end there. I have no idea what their alloy is, since their specialty 21K nibs, like the Cross Concord, are hardly more yellow than my 14K wedding band, maybe a touch. The regular nibs, including the Naginata Togi, are much more yellow, but their 14K nibs look the same, and I know for a fact it is plating in that case that makes them as yellow as they are. At any rate, the properties of the metal force certain thicknesses and geometry. Some people already think 18K is too soft, but it all depends. It's too soft for true flex, I suppose, but I like most of my 18K nibs better than most of my 14K nibs--most. But they are all different.

perfaddict
January 31st, 2015, 12:40 PM
Duo-tone, yes. But 21k.

My profound apologies to all. The nib is actually 18k.

My bad :agree: