PDA

View Full Version : Should All Asian Pens Be Lumped Together?

writingrav
August 7th, 2012, 09:39 AM
That is the question. Chinese, Japanese, Indian? The differences in quality and history suggest to me not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

southpaw52
August 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I think that all three represent something unique to the fountain world, should be listed individually under the the umbrella of Asian made fountain pens.

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I can live with that if Dan is up for it. :)

dannzeman
August 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
That is the question. Chinese, Japanese, Indian? The differences in quality and history suggest to me not.

Can you provide a solution you'd like to see other than just not combining them all? What do you think is the best way to split them up? And would this apply to German pens? Italian pens? Should we lump all US brands together?

I can live with that if Dan is up for it. :)
I'm up for whatever. Creating and rearranging forums isn't hard. The time consuming part is moving the threads.

This place is your home just as much as it is mine or Eric's. You have just as much say as we do. Unfortunately, it creates more work for us, but that's something we signed up for when we created this board. Some mods and admins don't feel the same way.

etoyoc
August 7th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well there are only 14 threads to split up in the Asian forum. On the other hand, there are only 14 threads there. Does it get enough traffic to warrant splitting up into extra sub forums? I agree, there are huge differences between Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese.. Is that even a word? But are we creating organization scheme for a problem that doesn't exist? And like Dan suggested, does every country need a specific sub forum then?

Devils Advocate thought... How about an ED sub-forum, and a piston sub-forum, and a CC sub-forum under the general pen forum?

dannzeman
August 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Well there are only 14 threads to split up in the Asian forum...
You're right, it wouldn't take long to split up only the threads in the Asian forum. I was speaking more about arranging all the other threads if we start modifying other forums.

etoyoc
August 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM
You're right, it wouldn't take long to split up only the threads in the Asian forum. I was speaking more about arranging all the other threads if we start modifying other forums.

I didn't realize that you had just created that sub-forum.

I still wonder if we really have enough traffic to warrant splitting everything up to fine details of pen region. But then again, I suppose if we are going to do that, it will be an easier task now then it will be in the future.

Sailor Kenshin
August 7th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm just happy to have one.

writingrav
August 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I guess it comes down to setting up multiple fora now without knowing if the traffic will warrant it, or doing so later if one or another topic gets confusing and overloaded, which would be more work. I leave it to Dan and Eric's impeccable judgment.

FP_GaF
August 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes, Thanks Dan and Eric for the Asian Pen Forum. Great Stuff!

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
thank you.