PDA

View Full Version : Which of your pens do you use the most?

Willieboy
January 22nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
I am a newcomer to fountain pens having purchased my first in over fifty years a month ago or so. I started with a couple Namiki Falcons (fine and medium nibs), a Sailor Sapporo, a Conklin Duracraft, Noodler Ahab and two Lamy Safaris. I was so anxious to find the perfect pen I just went crazy buying them. I try to wrie with each pen every day as I practice to improve my handwriting. To my surprise, I find myself using the Lamy Safari with 1.1mm italic nib more than any other. How about you? What pen or pens do you favor?

tandaina
January 22nd, 2015, 02:10 PM
I also favor my pens that have italic nibs. I prefer custom ground nibs (factory italics are really stubs in general and I like a sharper line). I've got too many to pin down *one* pen I use, but the italic nibed pens are the ones most commonly inked.

Cob
January 22nd, 2015, 02:50 PM
All I can say in response to this question is that I never use the most, the pen that I thought I would use the most! I tend to use the last one that arrived (I buy too many) I suppose, then get a stab of guilt about the one I loved so much a week or two ago, or the one I raved about in my journal three months ago. Then of course I pick that one up and feel even more guilty!

Cob

bec11mort
January 22nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
I also tend to use my newer pens.. but my pens with a snap cap or click mechanism (Lamy 2000, Pilot Stargazer, Pilot VP) tend to get the most use when I'm just scribbling down a quick note.

jar
January 22nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
Right now it is some NoNami, likely Chinese pen.

Robert
January 22nd, 2015, 04:41 PM
I am quite partial to Platinum 3776's with broad nibs. I have several and at least one is always inked. Also, several weeks ago I picked up a Conklin Stylograph Mosaic with factory stub nib on Massdrop. I am shocked at how smoothly the steel nib writes, and this pen has been used almost daily since I acquired it.

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 22nd, 2015, 04:45 PM
The pen that is always with me is a Lamy 2000 F. It is my daily writer and always inked with Noodler's Black, ever since I bought it. I haven't even cleaned it yet!

Other than that, I usually have a Noodler's Konrad inked up in some color that isn't black.

Lady Onogaro
January 22nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
I've been using a Parker 45 quite a lot lately. But I often use a Lamy Safari.

fountainpenkid
January 22nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Sheaffer Snorkel.

discopig
January 22nd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Pilot Metal Falcon. Despite having a lot of vintage flex pens, esterbrooks, etc, I always go back to it, both for daily writing and drawing. I find it more reliable than just about any of my other pens.

jbb
January 22nd, 2015, 06:17 PM
These get daily use: Parker 51, Parker Challenger, Waterman Ideal & Waterman Taperite.... and dip pen of course. :)

brewsky
January 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM
My pelikans and esterbrooks are constantly inked.

Laura N
January 22nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
I rotate mine, so -- none?

pica pica
January 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
My favourite is Prera CM, which for some reasons has helped me to keep my notes legible. However, since my handwriting improved significantly over the last several months, I've been using regular but finer nibs almost as often. I'm afraid that my close relationship with Prera is threatened by the modest Preppy 0.2.

fountainpenkid
January 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
The pen that is always with me is a Lamy 2000 F. It is my daily writer and always inked with Noodler's Black, ever since I bought it. I haven't even cleaned it yet!

Other than that, I usually have a Noodler's Konrad inked up in some color that isn't black.

Do you carry it in a pocket, or in a pen case? If the former, have you ever had leaking or burping problems?

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 22nd, 2015, 09:21 PM

Do you carry it in a pocket, or in a pen case? If the former, have you ever had leaking or burping problems?

I'm unclear if you're asking about the Konrad or the Lamy. The answer for both is the same. The Lamy is in my shirt pocket. The Konrad used to be, when it was my daily writer black ink pen. I never had real trouble with either pen burping. To get trouble, it took dropping the pen.

stevekolt
January 22nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Used the most? My MB 149 desk pen with a fine nib. Carried the most? My Sailor Precious Woods (Teak) with a custom broad stub nib done by Mr. Binder, or a Lamy Al-Star with a 1.1 stub nib.

mhosea
January 22nd, 2015, 10:02 PM
I don't have any that would qualify because I make a point of using pens I haven't used in awhile and carrying a different pen to work on consecutive days. If I had to pick one and make it my most used pen, it would be a Montblanc 146.

Newjelan
January 22nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
I try to mix it up, but do find my Pilot VP and one of my Custom Heritage 92s generally find their way into daily use.

Murfie
January 23rd, 2015, 03:41 AM
The answer to the question would vary from month to month. However, for the past two months my "go to" pen has been a black 1941 Parker Vacumatic Long Major - the Long Major being the same girth as a Major but the length of a Maxima. The pen has a magnificent 2 tone Arrow factory medium cursive italic nib which is simply sublime to write with. Apart from this pen, I tend to rotate my inked roster quite regularly in order to use as many of my pens as possible over a twelve month period.

VertOlive
January 23rd, 2015, 04:04 AM
Edison custom Pearl 1.1 stub nib. Hands down, the leader of the pack!

chojo
January 23rd, 2015, 05:12 AM
The most used in my collection is probably my Noodlers Ahab but the most used since It was gifted to me a month or so ago is my Montegrappa Ducale. I never thought I could like a pen quite as much as I do that one.

dneal
January 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I rotate pens, but picking one is a matter of looking in the case and saying "ooh, I haven't used that one in a while". The pens that are always inked up are Kawecos (I've always got one in my pocket), so they are the ones that probably get used the most.

top pen
January 25th, 2015, 11:27 AM
The pens I use the most are a Pelikan M200 F, a triplet of Parker Frontier as my EDC knock abouts. Also at the moment my latest investment a Diplomat Balance however I will have to wait and see if it keeps a upper position in my collection.

I've got good pens sitting on the side lines being unused so any addition has to have the potential to knock one of my favorite pens off there top spots so I am fairly cautious when adding anything new.

harkin
January 25th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Interesting question. I am new to pens as well and new to this forum. I carry three pens with me every day, all three are Waterman Celluloid #5s and the nibs are red (medium with flex), pink (fine with flex) and a purple (fine with no flex). These seem to cover my daily needs. Thinking about adding a blue (stub) to use as a highlighter but I have not been able to find one.

Silverbreeze
January 25th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Edison Pearlette Binder Super Needle - my planner pen
Then it's a toss up

Karas Kustoms INK Dan Smith Architect Point

Edison Beaumont PN Edison Cursive Italic

Edison Herald Dan Smith Architect Point

Visconti Blue Typhoons

Visconti Dali Pendleton Point

jar
January 25th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Today it is a Signum Orione blue Duetto seen on the top in this picture.

http://www.fototime.com/EC48145D7768416/large.jpg

mrenaerts
January 25th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Lamy 2000 with Oblique medium nib. Smootest nib i currently own and a joy to write with! Beside that i mostly take my pilot custom heritage 92 medium nib with me. Lovely writer too!

wervenyt
January 25th, 2015, 04:32 PM
My Lamy 2000 EF has definitely been my most-used pen since I got it, and I see no reason to change that. A close second would be my Vacumatic Major, which I don't use out of the house for fear of its life.

Quantum Sailor
January 25th, 2015, 06:48 PM
My top choice usually depends on the paper. I use a variety of notebooks with a wide range of paper quality. On the ones that need a very dry fine nib I tend to use my Japanese pens. On the paper that tends to be dryer I use my german pens. I don't really have a favorite so much. I tend to enjoy most of my pens.

ubremin
February 10th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I tend to use my Omas Milord Arte Italiana Art Blue Navy (what a name!) most of the time, which is daily @ work. It writes so effortless, smoothly and quickly, on any paper quality, almost. Otherwise I tend to use my first fountain pen, a Waterman Expert quite often.

Bluecamp
February 11th, 2015, 12:08 AM
My daily carry is a Pilot Custom 74 Blue medium nib cut to a fine medium, running Oxblood. I'm left handed and use Diamine oxblood as it drys quickly.

carlc
February 11th, 2015, 12:55 AM
I'm with the rotators but the pen that is always inked and lives in my work bag is a Pelikan Level which has never been uninked since I acquired it years ago. To be honest they're not really flushable without surgery and so it's more laziness than choice.

phonelady61
February 11th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I think the two I use the most daily are my Jinhao X450 and my waterman phileas marble blue . Those would be my two most used pens .

jar
February 11th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Today it is a red Signum Orione Duetto.

http://www.fototime.com/5C8AD440B68B708/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3F76EF3950F1642/large.jpg

Kaputnik
February 11th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Hard to say, which never stopped me before. I do rotate a lot, but I find that my Montblanc Noblesse, with a reground medium-ish nib, seems to get less time un-inked than most. And don't let the Montblanc brand fool you. This is a used pen from the 1970s, and cost less than you'd think, even with the regrind. The nib is the smoothest I have, bar none.

ethernautrix
February 11th, 2015, 01:58 PM
The most? One of my Nakayas, lately the Long Piccolo (with three other Piccolos inked and ready - and used), along with non-Nakaya, lately an Aurora Optima, Stipula Vedo, and Stylo Art (with a Pilot SFM nib).

Hawk
February 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM
The two pens are my 'carry-arounds' at the shop are a Parker IM or a Montegrappa Stealth plus something else that jumps into my pocket. I keep various Pelikans inked up to use when I know I won't damage or lose them.

reprieve
February 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I always have my Pelikan M600 in red and its matching mechanical pencil in my carry case. And at least one Nakaya is inked; lately it's been either the Nakaya Piccolo Writer string-rolled in shiro-tamenuri or the Nakaya Naka-ai Writer in kuro-tamenuri. There's usually a knockabout or three floating around, too, like a Pilot Metropolitan or a Platinum Plaisir or a Pilot Prera. Otherwise, my rotation changes regularly.

butchhe
February 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
My everyday carry is a Pilot Metropolitan...need to add a few more to the mix.

Scrawler
February 13th, 2015, 09:10 PM
My most used pen is a blue Esterbrook SJ with a 14K Conklin nib made in around 1923. This is my everyday pocket pen for all casual note taking and signing of visitor logs etc. For the past 4 years it has been filled with Russian Violet ink.

Mags
February 15th, 2015, 05:31 AM
I suppose for me it is my MB 146 that is always inked up and a Pelikan....my M1000 is often.... meaning routinely.... in my Samsonite satchel. A TWSBI mini has Baystate Blue in it and is at my desk at the office all the time ready to sign contracts.

Avalona
February 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Lamy Safari (I've got six of them, and interchange them. One of them is always with me in the pen loops for my Franklin Covey binder or Hobonichi Techo cover. If I'm using it for class, it's one of four colours: J. Herbin's Eclat de Saphir, Waterman's Mysterious Blue, Namiki Black, or Rohrer and Klingner's Konigsblau), Sheaffer No-Nonsense (the medium nib one has become my study notes pen - always inked with my ink mix of Rohrer and Klingner's Cassia and J. Herbin's Violette Pensee. It makes for a slightly richer and bolder purple than the individual inks separately) and Platinum Plaisir (medium nib, always filled with either Sheaffer Turquoise or Diamine Marine. Yes, I have a pen that I only use turquoise ink in. Why? I'm not sure). I think.

picautomaton
February 15th, 2015, 11:29 AM
The Preppy I received with my Noodlers Heart of Darkness. Been inked with HOD for years (bought from the Swishers store). Some times I top the pen up with tap water or HOD depending on the flow. I wish Platinum made a Preppy with ebonite and gold nib.

transknition
February 15th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Pilot VP and Decimo. I love my other pens for writing for prolonged periods, but the capless Pilots are always ready to go.

ethernautrix
February 16th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Well... rotated the Nakaya Long Piccolo out and the Danitrio Fellowship in. My memory told me that the DF was not a very comfortable pen in hand, but I swapped out the original 18k EF nib (NOT an EF! More F/M.) and inserted a steel EF nib, and it is writing heaven! All these many years, it was the nib, not the pen. I knew I wasn't crazy about the nib. The pen is a pleasure to use now.

Silverbreeze
February 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Almost always have my Edison Beaumont Pneumatic inked and in active use. Not a cheap pen but Wow

perfaddict
February 17th, 2015, 01:32 PM
On permanent desk duty since early January:

Lamy Safari medium nib/Parker Quink Red
TWSBI 580 Clear broad nib/Parker Penman Emerald ink
Franklin-Christoph 65 Desk Pen broad nib/Noodlers Baystate Blue ink

All my other pens are rotated for use "on the road".