PDA

View Full Version : One of the nice things about Fountain pen forums that I like..

ianmedium
August 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Is that I have yet to experience ego's at play!

I belong to a few other forums but hardly ever visit them anymore due to so many ego's needing approval or to be right. I just dipped my toes back into a headphone forum I belong to and almost immediately was attacked for a view I had expressed on bit rates for music. I was very careful to say in my post that this was just my opinion and feelings and that it did not mean they were right and that everyone should try for themselves and see. If they found a difference great, if not great to. I was not out to be right or wrong, just sharing an experience.

One of the many lovely things about fountain pen folks is that there is little or none of that going on. I certainly have not seen it on this forum.

Forums for me are a way to unwind from a busy and sometimes frustrating day. A place where one can converse with like-minded folks and enjoy banter. Thank goodness for this forum. It reminds me that there are some truly lovely people out there in the world!

Thanks for your friendship and informative views folks, it eases my day and makes a positive contribution to my life and for that I am so grateful.

writingrav
August 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Well said, Ian. This is a lovely place to hang out and the kindness and friendliness is unparalleled in any of the few other online forums I've ventured into. Thank you all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FP_GaF
August 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM
This is so true but often, too often, it remains unsaid. Thank you Ian for voicing it so eloquently and of course I second every one of Ian's words. Thank you everyone for such a nice place to share and special Thanks to Eric and Dan for creating it in the first place.

JustDaveyB
August 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I don't normally talk to Montblanc owners on forums but I make an except for you due your Italian pen collection :) Just never use the phrase "Precious resin"

No this forum is very good, FPN is mostly good as well, the scariest forums I have encountered are audio related, general tech and home brewing.

peterpen53
August 8th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I don't normally talk to Montblanc owners on forums

Oh yes you do! I just don't brag about it.

peterpen53
August 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Is that I have yet to experience ego's at play!

I belong to a few other forums but hardly ever visit them anymore due to so many ego's needing approval or to be right. I just dipped my toes back into a headphone forum I belong to and almost immediately was attacked for a view I had expressed on bit rates for music. I was very careful to say in my post that this was just my opinion and feelings and that it did not mean they were right and that everyone should try for themselves and see. If they found a difference great, if not great to. I was not out to be right or wrong, just sharing an experience.

One of the many lovely things about fountain pen folks is that there is little or none of that going on. I certainly have not seen it on this forum.

Forums for me are a way to unwind from a busy and sometimes frustrating day. A place where one can converse with like-minded folks and enjoy banter. Thank goodness for this forum. It reminds me that there are some truly lovely people out there in the world!

Thanks for your friendship and informative views folks, it eases my day and makes a positive contribution to my life and for that I am so grateful.

I recognise the bit rate discussion. It has even spread to Macworld.com in relation to the bit rates offered with music in the iTunes store. Sometimes it gets really silly, for as you imply, not everyone's ears and perceptions are alike.

I would like to add that it gives me an opportunity to converse with likeminded people from all corners of the world and thereby experience different views and perceptions and to a degree different cultures. It compensates for the lack of travel to other parts of the world that I enjoyed so much in a previous job I held.

picautomaton
August 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Totally agree - Fountain Pen Geeks and Network have nice people who post politely and don't attack one. I think there is a cross section from extremely wealthy members to normal income and all try encourage and help each other. Keeps me addicted!

JustDaveyB
August 8th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Oh yes you do! I just don't brag about it.

It was said in jest!

I had a lovely time at my local Montblanc boutique last week, I managed to escape with only three inks. If only I could work out a way of buying the Alfred Hitchcock FP without my wife noticing the huge withdrawal from the savings account...

Petergly
August 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I must agree with the comments so far. I'm also on some other unrelated forums, and I find this one to be the most laid-back and genuine. I haven't contributed much - still finding my way in the pen world and this forum - but the attitude here is always welcoming and certainly encourages participation. I always feel welcome here.

Regards,

Pete Mac in Melbourne

southpaw52
August 8th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I really enjoy hanging out in this forum. It is great to openly discuss such a variety of fp topics openly.

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Totally with you on that one Ian. I like high bit rates though. My ears are sensitive to lower bit rates and high frequencies. They don't mix well. :p

peterpen53
August 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
It was said in jest!

I had a lovely time at my local Montblanc boutique last week, I managed to escape with only three inks. If only I could work out a way of buying the Alfred Hitchcock FP without my wife noticing the huge withdrawal from the savings account...

Same here! But I get your feeling. Some of them can have a bit of an air about them, but they are invariably helpful.
Now... if you have worked out that trick for your savings account, let me know!? I won't have any trouble with a wife, but probably with a bank manager.

ianmedium
August 8th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Totally with you on that one Ian. I like high bit rates though. My ears are sensitive to lower bit rates and high frequencies. They don't mix well. :p

KI, that was the point I was trying to get across over on the headphone forum. I much prefer higher bit rates. In fact I listen to AIFF ( my system is portable and consists of iPod classic, cypher labs algorythm solo, Ray Samuels Audio SR71-B balanced amp, headphones I use are Audeze LCD2, Final Audio Design Heaven S and Etymotic ER4S). Nowadays hard drives being so cheap and I only ever rip from CD, don't download I may as well use a completely un-compressed format.

Also, back on topic it is so nice to see such responses, what a lovely place Dan and Eric have created and I love that we can all go 'live' once a week on the webcast.

manoeuver
August 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, it's nice here. I can't imagine telling somebody a pen or ink they like sucks, having already been proven wrong.

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM
KI, that was the point I was trying to get across over on the headphone forum. I much prefer higher bit rates. In fact I listen to AIFF ( my system is portable and consists of iPod classic, cypher labs algorythm solo, Ray Samuels Audio SR71-B balanced amp, headphones I use are Audeze LCD2, Final Audio Design Heaven S and Etymotic ER4S). Nowadays hard drives being so cheap and I only ever rip from CD, don't download I may as well use a completely un-compressed format.

Also, back on topic it is so nice to see such responses, what a lovely place Dan and Eric have created and I love that we can all go 'live' once a week on the webcast.

Holy moly that's a setup. I can go as low as 256 kbit, anything lower and it sounds awful on whatever I use. For uncompressed music, full wav files and my Hi-MD is going to be hard to beat. :p I need to try AIFF but I don't really use my iPod for music. My phone get's more use as a music player but just mainly in the car where the road noise will mask a bad rip.

and I really am happy that Dan and Eric decided to carve this little niche out of the inter web spaces! :amen:

jfsisler
August 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I totally agree with what's been said here. I'm involved in some craft related forums, mostly crochet ones, and man, knitters and crocheters can be total....well, I won't say to keep it clean. What is the point of sharing a hobby with people if it's going to become a source of stress?

ianmedium
August 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Holy moly that's a setup. I can go as low as 256 kbit, anything lower and it sounds awful on whatever I use. For uncompressed music, full wav files and my Hi-MD is going to be hard to beat. :p I need to try AIFF but I don't really use my iPod for music. My phone get's more use as a music player but just mainly in the car where the road noise will mask a bad rip.

and I really am happy that Dan and Eric decided to carve this little niche out of the inter web spaces! :amen:

Yeah, it has taken a long while to get to where I am with it. I wanted as full a sized sound as I can get but portable as i like to keep things simple. I run the Audeze's balanced and they other two single ended and I never tire of the sound. It really is like listening to a home based system in terms of resolution and dynamics. The solo and Ray's amp are probably the most important components as they truly give a lovely analog sound quality. I have to say as well, if you ever get a chance to listen to a pair of Audeze's I highly recommend it, though your wallet may not like you! I love the source your using, those players are stunning for high quality playback I feel. Music is as important to writing for me. Big Wagner fan to the point where I have two complete ring cycles on the system all the time, the live Bohm recording and the Solti.. As well as all the other Opera's!!

I totally agree with what's been said here. I'm involved in some craft related forums, mostly crochet ones, and man, knitters and crocheters can be total....well, I won't say to keep it clean. What is the point of sharing a hobby with people if it's going to become a source of stress?

You really surprise me with this, one of the last places I would have ever thought there would be problems would be with knitting and crochet! I always have though those are such calming hobbies!

OT again, I was born in Sunderland in the UK!

Maja
August 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Nicely said, Ian! Oh, and if anyone is wondering, Ian is as friendly in Real Life (he's in our local pen club) as he is online ;)

Dan & Eric do a marvelous job with this site, so hats off to them! :fans:

jor412
August 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Dan & Eric do a marvelous job with this site, so hats off to them! :fans:

:bump:

Pinkys.Brain
August 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I have to agree, that this forum is very nice. Sometimes I see some clashes on the fountainpennetwork, but those are mostly banter or simple misunderstandings.

p.s.: As for headphones: Join www.anythingbutipod.com (http://www.anythingbutipod.com)! It's a nice bunch and they know a lot. A lot of people who are fed up with headfi.org move over (or where banned for petty reasons = headfi has a lot of companies as sponsors, so too critical opinions get censored). ^_^

Maja
August 9th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have to agree, that this forum is very nice. Sometimes I see some clashes on the fountainpennetwork, but those are mostly banter or simple misunderstandings.

I agree...and it's not surprising given the #of FPN members (65,834 as of a minute ago :)) and the # of new posts daily.

ianmedium
August 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks so much for your kind words Maja,I think we are very luck in the VPC to have so many really lovely members, I will bring the box along next week by the way! Oh yes, Ti is within an hour away so will bring it along next week as well!

Maja
August 11th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks so much for your kind words Maja,I think we are very luck in the VPC to have so many really lovely members, I will bring the box along next week by the way! Oh yes, Ti is within an hour away so will bring it along next week as well!

You're very welcome, Ian..and thanks in advance re: the pen box. I'll be at the meeting next Thursday. See you then! :)