PDA

View Full Version : Teach a child Cursive or learn it yourself kickstarter

Silverbreeze
January 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569049737/cursive-is-endangered-together-we-can-preserve-it

Bart Willems
January 26th, 2015, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I don't think it is *that* revolutionary. “Write On” by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay (in print since 1991) follows a similar approach where the letters are taught in groups based on how they are drawn. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of using colors. The pictures show it as something that is made with a lot of care and passion. However, when someone claims that the "new" part of their methodology is grouping letters based on their shape instead of teaching them as 26 individual letters it feels to me that they didn't do their homework on the research front.

Silverbreeze
January 26th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Bart, what you need to remember is Kickstarter is the new IN thing. People who unlike us don't seek out information on handwriting. We are geeks after all. Browse Kickstarter and may go

"OH cool, let's back this at lowest actual reward level then gift to niece or nephew X"

Also it may shock you how few people know cursive writing is not being taught anymore. And many are happy when when they find out. Most people don't like writing on paper .

Personally I think it's because most writing tools hurt and paper sucks

Bart Willems
January 26th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Tom, you're right about that -- and having something like it on Kickstarter is definitely good exposure.

I'm converting the world one colleague at a time. Our sales performance manager is already "in" and one of the sales guys was interested but "as a lefty he can't use a fountain pen." I just showed him today that, with the right nib and ink, that doesn't have to be the case. I loaned him a cheap Nemosine and he already offered to buy it!

Silverbreeze
January 26th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I am a lefty underwriter. The right pen and ink work for leftys

Ballpoints hurt to use long term. Rollerballs and pressurized ink pens are better. Fountain pens don't make me cramp up

Lady Onogaro
January 26th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I keep forgetting that cursive is even more difficult for leftys. This discussion has reminded me of that (and the difficulties in writing). What is a good nib for a lefty? And how about ink? And why? (I'm curious.) I imagine the ink has to be fast drying.

Silverbreeze
January 26th, 2015, 12:09 PM
The easy answer

For most dry extra fine firm STEEL nibs with fast dry ink.

Some leftys push the nib rather then pull. For them lefty nibs make sense

Then you have people like me who are underwriters, I use everything as Lady O well knows :-)

manoeuver
January 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I'm opting instead to teach my children to curse.

Silverbreeze
January 26th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Hate to tell ya. They don't need your help there :-)

akapulko2020
February 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Another solution for lefties : write in a right -to-left language [emoji6]
My main language is Hebrew, which is written right to left, and it just downed on me recently that left handed people have it easier in writing in it with FP[emoji5]

Dreck
February 6th, 2015, 04:07 AM
I keep forgetting that cursive is even more difficult for leftys. This discussion has reminded me of that (and the difficulties in writing). What is a good nib for a lefty? And how about ink? And why? (I'm curious.) I imagine the ink has to be fast drying.

I'm a lefty underwriter, and use no special ink or nibs. I've even attempted to use a 1.1mm sub italic, but I blame my lack of finesse more than my handedness for my relative lack of success.
I think the only time a left handed person would need a faster drying ink would be of they're a hook-writer. If that's the case, they just need to learn to stop. Hook writing is an abomination.

VertOlive
February 7th, 2015, 02:34 AM
What, exactly, is hook writing? I see the term a lot but am afraid to ask; they all seem rather sinister...

Silverbreeze
February 7th, 2015, 06:26 AM
What, exactly, is hook writing? I see the term a lot but am afraid to ask; they all seem rather sinister...
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Left_hand_writers_images/wRick%20Propas%20left%20hand%20writing.JPG

I can't tell if President Obama is a hook or a side writer

Dreck
February 7th, 2015, 10:55 AM

I see what you did there :D

VertOlive
May 11th, 2015, 01:24 PM
So. I got a piece of this Kickstarter and the book is in hand now. It looks promising and considerably simpler than the Palmer Method that I was taught back when we used pointy sticks and sand. I'm planning to experiment using it with my son over the summer and see how it goes.