PDA

View Full Version : Nib Creep; Barrel Separates from Section

Lady Onogaro
January 26th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Hi, Guys,

In general, how bad does nib creep have to be before you do something about it? And then, what do you do?

Also, is there an easy fix for a pen where the barrel separates from the section (this is in an older pen--I don't use it because when I try to unscrew the cap, the section unscrews, too, into the cap). It's an Eversharp Symphony I bought last year. Just curious if there is anything effective I can do myself before sending it off to someone else.

Thanks.

mhosea
January 26th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I don't use inks that show nib creep very often. When I do see it, I might either wipe it off or ignore it. If all is well, it may propagate along the surface of the nib, but it really can't get "bad" or else the pen has a different problem.

A very small amount of shellac on the threads that you don't want to come apart should solve the unscrewing problem. The rosin-based thread sealant here http://www.fountainpensacs.com/parker_repair.html will probably also work, as it doesn't seem to get messy when used sparingly. A key point here is that whatever "adhesive" you use needs to be heat sensitive so that you (somebody) can get the thing apart later on down the road.

tandaina
January 26th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Nib creep? I ignore nib creep. It might look messy but it doesn't hurt a thing.

If the pen is leaking into the cap (ie I uncap it and ink runs out, or is on the *section* then I'll check seals (most of my pens are piston fillers) and grease it or get it serviced.