PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the nib from a Sheaffer NoNonsense Calligraphy Pen?

camerlos6120
January 26th, 2015, 10:50 PM
I need help on getting the nib off my Sheaffer NoNonsense pen. Its the same feed as the Sheaffer 100 or the Prelude and have seen done before( aka Sbrebrown, The Disassembly Line). Its frustrating because there is not a lot out there on this pen and I can't remove the feed ti clean the gunck from 25-30 years ago when my dad last used it. Please help!!!

chojo
January 27th, 2015, 09:55 AM
They are really tight aren't they? I warmed the section slightly on mine with a hairdryer while jiggling the nib slightly and it did eventually come out. You could try this if you want to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzb-l0IEZDk. If all else fails try soaking it in warm water overnight. Hope this helps.

jar
January 27th, 2015, 10:09 AM
But patience and not pulling the nib and feed are your friends.

Soak, flush, soak: repeat as necessary.

ac12
January 28th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Stop trying to pull the nib and feed, you could break the feed.
The pen has MANY years of ink in it, it will not be cleaned overnight.
So as the saying goes, "patience grasshopper."

- Remove the section from the pen
- get a shot glass, or other small diameter/narrow glass
- put a tissue pad on the bottom, to protect the nib.
- place the section, nib down, into the glass
- fill with water
- leave to soak overnight
- 8 hours later, look at the water, if it is inky,
- - replace the water with clean water
- - blot the nib with tissue to draw out any liquid ink
- - repeat the 8 hour soaking cycle

This can take a LONG time to clean a neglected pen.
It took me 3 weeks of this process to clean the old ink from a Parker 51.

You could use a 10% ammonia solution (1 part non-sudsy/non-fragrant ammonia + 9 parts water) in place of the water, which will help dissolve the old ink faster.

An alternative is to use an UltraSonic Cleaner. This device will blast out the dried ink from the pen. They are available for about $40. But for only one pen, it is not worth it.

carlos.q
January 29th, 2015, 04:12 AM
An alternative is to use an UltraSonic Cleaner. This device will blast out the dried ink from the pen. They are available for about $40. But for only one pen, it is not worth it.
An ultrasonic cleaner would be my suggestion too.
I once read that someone had MacGyvered an ultrasonic cleaner using a glass filled with water and an electric toothbrush. ;)

lowks
May 31st, 2015, 11:08 AM
Just wanted to chime in here, soaking the nib works! I had to soak mine in 95 degrees Celcius water 3 times before it came out easily.... anyway I took a video ...

https://youtu.be/WQN9e2d7rDo