PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles International Pen Show 2015

Jon Szanto
January 29th, 2015, 12:36 AM
... is in two weeks. Who is going to go (besides me and Joi and Ricky)?

mtnbiker62
January 29th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I had planned to, but life intervened. Maybe next year... :(

gregamckinney
January 29th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I'll be there from mid-day Thursday through mid-day Saturday. Can't wait!
greg

Farmboy
January 29th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Greg,

We must have lunch or dinner or coffee or tea or something.

Todd

gregamckinney
January 30th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Absolutely, mon frere!

Jon Szanto
January 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Greg, dude, we absolutely have to meet in person. We can talk about Bantams! http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/danceman_l.gif

dannzeman
January 30th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I'll be there. Arriving early Thursday and leaving on Monday.

franzdimson
January 31st, 2015, 09:14 PM
Will be there from Thursday afternoon until Sunday... =)

tandaina
January 31st, 2015, 09:45 PM
I wish I could be there. Would be so much fun!

AltecGreen
January 31st, 2015, 10:03 PM
I wish I could be there. Would be so much fun!

I'll have my usual show coverage up probably on the Monday after the show.

The show will certainly be 'interesting'. I hope there will be no fatalities. :)

gregamckinney
February 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM
Definitely! I have set aside a group of Bantams to bring with me for us to discus/show/tell/etc.

greg

lsmith42
February 1st, 2015, 12:15 PM

ethernautrix
February 2nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
I'll be there.

No, wait. (Sad face.)

I'll be at the Pen Show in POLAND.

April. Sarj will be there. Other Europeans, don't you know. The Poland Pen Show isn't as big as LA, but it's a lovely time.

I'll be at the LA Pen Show in spirit -- or at least while I'm enjoying Ricky's excellent coverage.

ethernautrix
February 2nd, 2015, 05:24 PM
Media coverage will be critical. I've got the camera warmed up and ready to go...

Cool! I'd love to see some photos taken with your new camera!

Mags
February 3rd, 2015, 04:14 AM
I am so not happy that I will miss the show again this year ....I hope everyone has a wonderful time. I remind everyone to pack your $5, black pens, one special contribution bottle of non ink liquid and please search out the black pen society meeting out front. Tell them you want in and Mags sent you....here is hoping you find the meeting and meet one of the grand Pubahs!

pw1224
February 6th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I will be there. I recommend Grimaldi's Pizzeria across the street from the hotel. (Long walk since it's on the north side of Rosecrans.)

AltecGreen
February 8th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Just heads up. I just received a message from Mr. Kuzuno of Stylo Art in Japan. He will be bringing a large assortment of his pens including some stunning make-i, urushi, raden, and rankaku pieces. They will have nibs from Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor available for his pens including Pilot FA ,Platinum SEF and also Naginata nibs. I've been helping them select nib assortments for the show.

Ms. Kazuno has a relationship with Takeda Hamono (http://takedahamono.com/english/) and will also be bringing in some Takeda kitchen knives. I've already requested certain knives.

Here is a pic of the special pens being brought to the show.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/15856068054_50c47cca56_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qa9uBG)

dannzeman
February 8th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Ricky, can you give me a ballpark price of what these pens run? I'll be able to make one significant purchase at the show and I'd like to know if I'll be able to afford one of these.

AltecGreen
February 8th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Ricky, can you give me a ballpark price of what these pens run? I'll be able to make one significant purchase at the show and I'd like to know if I'll be able to afford one of these.

No problem. They did not send any pricing info but I can estimate based on the price last year for similar pens.

Two years ago, I bought a pen similar to pens three and four (from the left) for $800 which was an absolute steal since the entire pen had raden and rankaku work. A similar pen from Pilot or Danitrio would have been $3k-10K. Last year similar pens ranged from $1200-$1500. The exchange rate is in our favor at the moment. The price includes a basic tier nib. I was told these were fit for a Pilot #10 nib. I assume a specialty nib like a Pilot FA or Sailor Naginata would be an extra charge.

dannzeman
February 8th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Well, that definitely gives me something to think about. Thanks, Ricky. I'll have to make sure to hit their table right away.

Do you know what days they'll be displaying at the show?

AltecGreen
February 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Well, that definitely gives me something to think about. Thanks, Ricky. I'll have to make sure to hit their table right away.

Do you know what days they'll be displaying at the show?

They usually are there for the whole show. They are arriving Thursday afternoon as per their e-mail.

ethernautrix
February 9th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I've been using my cocobolo Stylo Art pen (Pilot SFM nib) the past few days. I thought about asking you to see if there would be a cocobolo with a contrasting (lighter) wood clip. I'd love to get one with a PO or FA nib. Or a Sailor Zoom nib. Will he bring Sailor Zoom nibs? Would it be okay to text-msg you via fb when you're in LA? (Ricky. Hehe, if that weren't obvious.)

Oo wait, hold on! Will Mr. Kazuno be at the SF Pen Show?

rjohnarmstrong73
March 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM
Is there a uk show that's what I want to know

Jon Szanto
March 1st, 2015, 01:37 PM
Is there a uk show that's what I want to know

I'm quite certain I've seen announcements for shows over there, though I don't track carefully myself (being far away). Take a look at this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2525-London-The-Hole-Geek-Gathering) and either ask some of those people directly or post a question to that thread. You'll find people might have a better idea of the answer if they live in the general region.

rjohnarmstrong73
March 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Cheers