PDA

View Full Version : Eight or Nine Wise Words about Letter-Writing

Ted A
January 29th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I ran across this little pamphlet by Lewis Carroll which you might find interesting. I've seen some excerpts but haven't had a chance to read it yet, so I'm not sure is it would be of help to those participating in InCoWriMo or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Nine-Words-about-Letter-Writing-ebook/dp/B006FLGDIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422586911&sr=8-1&keywords=Eight+or+Nine+Wise+Words+about+Letter-Writing+%5BKindle+Edition%5D

If the link doesn't work, search for the title in the Amazon Kindle store and you should be able to find a free download

writingrav
January 30th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Just ordered it free on kindle. I'll try to report back.

Frantik
January 30th, 2015, 06:52 AM
or you can read it here

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38065/38065-h/38065-h.htm

sharmon202
January 30th, 2015, 04:45 PM
This article was a very nice read, thanks a lot.

Dreck
January 30th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I liked it. Thanks for the heads-up!

caribbean_skye
January 30th, 2015, 05:27 PM
okay, rule 9. Cross writing, can someone explain that to me please (thank you)

cwent2
January 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
okay, rule 9. Cross writing, can someone explain that to me please (thank you)

Writing across the side of the page

Lady Onogaro
January 30th, 2015, 06:13 PM
To save paper (since postage was paid by the recipient of the letter, not the sender), it was very common for people to write across the page, then turn it and write across it the other way (the reader, upon opening the letter would see that the letter had writing both horizontally and vertically). Needless to say, it is difficult to read.

caribbean_skye
January 30th, 2015, 07:22 PM
ohhhh Thanks cwent2 and Lady O. lol. it would never have occurred to me to write like that.

Ted A
January 30th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Please, if someone should write to me, don't do the cross-writing thing. These eyes aren't what they used to be.

writingrav
January 31st, 2015, 06:00 AM
I have exchanged a number of such cross written letter with Nathan in Thailand. Just for fun. It can be maddening to read, but it can be read. We both stopped without saying a word about why as our letters became more important than just writing them.

Morgaine
January 31st, 2015, 06:01 AM
Next, Address and Stamp the Envelope. “What! Before writing the Letter?”

I don't agree - I write the letter first, because certain papers don't fit nicely in some envelopes (I have some writing sets where the envelopes are too small for the paper), and also, I do not know how heavy the letter will be. I guess he didn't have international post in mind... I also wonder if addressing envelopes first.... leads to letters being sent to the wrong people!

writingrav
January 31st, 2015, 06:01 AM
So I read it last night. Very entertaining aside from his occasional disparaging remarks about women. Some really good ideas about keeping a letter registry.

caribbean_skye
January 31st, 2015, 06:43 AM
]

I don't agree - I write the letter first, because certain papers don't fit nicely in some envelopes (I have some writing sets where the envelopes are too small for the paper), and also, I do not know how heavy the letter will be. I guess he didn't have international post in mind... I also wonder if addressing envelopes first.... leads to letters being sent to the wrong people!

That was my thought also. but i suppose if you are in regular communication you can always just keep the envelope for a future letter. Maybe the update could be after the first or second page, at least you will have the envelope size correct.

caribbean_skye
January 31st, 2015, 06:45 AM
So I read it last night. Very entertaining aside from his occasional disparaging remarks about women. Some really good ideas about keeping a letter registry.

i will have to re-read that part as it was a wee bit confusing

writingrav
January 31st, 2015, 06:59 AM

i will have to re-read that part as it was a wee bit confusing
Wee bit is putting it mildly.

TerraNoir
February 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
I am going to give this a read today!

Morgaine
February 9th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Oops, must read a letter through fully just before replying to it, just what I didn't do and discovered my penpal will be off to India next week or sooner depending on whether 3 weeks meant 21 days or almost that. Reply started and now put on hold.

bertcarson
February 9th, 2015, 07:47 PM
The link works and I've got it - thanks

DPWilkens
February 12th, 2015, 06:27 AM
I was terribly confused about the stamp case until I noticed some scans of it were added at the bottom of the html version on Gutenburg. Luckily I only use two sorts of stamps, international and domestic. I have seen where late 19th-century wallets had a compartment for stamps, which is really neat.