PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Nib with a Single Hole

Tony Rex
January 30th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Following this exchange from http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10346-Pelikan-400-tortoise-kf-nib?p=112990#post112990:

You can always tell the 'D' type nibs by the 2 holes in the nib.

Not always.
Which ones don't have 2 holes?
All the vintage 140/400/M series manifold nibs I have seen have 2 holes.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8564/15782462223_d2090811ba_b.jpg

There you go. A single holed Durchschreibe spitze/manifold nib. I've measured it once, but I couldn't remember exactly how much thicker than normal. Roughly about twice of a normal 400 nib.

mustud52
January 30th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Urk, there goes a simple visual test to identify any manifold nib. I suppose any two hole nibs are still manifold? Wonderful photography.

Tony Rex
January 30th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Urk, there goes a simple visual test to identify any manifold nib. I suppose any two hole nibs are still manifold? Wonderful photography.

Yep. The two breather holes and a short slit (from the tip to the first breather hole) are the usual signs of a manifold nib/Durchschreibe feder. That's why many assumed so.

Less common single holed ones are only identifiable by the imprint and to some extent by the thickness of the gold, which is much thicker than normal.

These are all stiffer than yet another type, H or Hart/Hard. I think I have one of those as well..

whych
January 31st, 2015, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the pic.
Are you sure that is not a 100(N) nib?
The statement is still correct though that the 2 holes mean the nib is a manifold nib. Other nib makers of the 50's, like Faber Castell/Osmia also made their manifold nibs with 2 holes in the nib.
When you say the nib is 'stiff', to give the guys an idea of how stiff, you could probably use it ro punch holes in a tin can without any damage to the nib.
With the advent of the ball point in the 60's, most pen makers stopped doing a manifold nib.

As an aside, I wonder whether one could classify the Sheaffer conical nibs as being manifold nibs? Their 40's and 50's conical nibs generally also have no give in them.

Tony Rex
January 31st, 2015, 05:01 AM
No worries.

I'm positive the nib is a correct 400 and not a 100. Quite obvious, if you look at the script. Plus both the feed and the collar look correct for the nib.

I'm not sure I wanna punch anything with it, sorry I can't help you there. I'm also unsure about the linguistics, probably better ask that on FPN. We're more "hands on" here on FPGeeks.