PDA

View Full Version : Easy-Use Camera Lens Kits

ainterne
January 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM
I promised to quickly review this product for someone and taking the opportunity to share in case it may help others.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003USYPX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would not recommend this particular model for a few reasons. Firstly in order to use the lens double sided sticky magnetic strips are supplied. Even after thoroughly cleaning the surface that the pad sticks on, it is pretty easy at least initially for the pad to come away from the phone.
The pad is actually a circular pad with a hole left in the middle that the lens views from. If you have for example a Galaxy 5 like mine you will notice that the case and lens actually protrudes slightly on the phone. The sticky pad can be applied to the Galaxy but does not feel secure. The fact that they send multiple pads in the packaging, perhaps suggests that the manufacturers are expecting a few to come loose. In essence the idea is a good one, however if you purchase this type of product, ensure the method of attaching the lens is sound.

Once the pad is attached the lens can be attached. It's extremely easy as the lens merely sticks on magnetically to the pad. There are three lenses, one which is a wide angle, one a fisheye lens and one a macro. Example output below.

You will notice that the clarity of the pictures are not good, even diminishing the quality of output of the phones standard pics. The focusing is not accurate and would need to be substantially better to be considered good. Depending on your own expectations and experiences of pictures, people will draw their own conclusions, however keep in mind the cost of $9.

If you want sharp pic output, this is not the way to go. If you want something to share a pic for general consumption it's just ok.

My wife will often sends a picture to me quickly via the phone to give me an idea of something she wants to buy but wants a second opinion. She doesn’t necessarily want to walk back 10 yards to snap a rug hung on a wall in the store drawing attention to herself, adding this lens for that type of application is perfect. With that said the lenses are very small and its a little fiddly to remove the protective caps. I think they would be easily lost or difficult to find if stored in someones purse for example.

Asked if I would re-purchase the answer would be a resounding no, however as indicated above the idea is sound for quick and easy pics using your phone, I am sure they are better designed versions available. Buying this product was a shot in the dark and I didn't expect much, I feel I was right, especially for pen shots.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16080&stc=1http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16079&stc=1http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16078&stc=1

Jon Szanto
January 31st, 2015, 03:45 PM
It's sad, but I think this is a classic case of "getting what you pay for". Honestly, just how good can the optics be when the items cost almost nothing?

From the photos on the site, and other uses, I think it is reasonable to say that the iCroscope that Daniel Kircheimer offers is a better investment, at only $25.00.

Bart Willems
January 31st, 2015, 04:20 PM
If you want to make macro shots with your smart phone, just put a little waterdrop on the lens.

ainterne
January 31st, 2015, 07:56 PM
Of course your absolutely right Jon.. Sometimes and very occasionally one of these things turns up trumps, not often though, I always try a few now and again even though I know when I buy there is a 95% of them being only good for the trash can.

I was hoping originally going to try the one from the site you recommended, but the link didn't work, the domain is not live right now.

I probably shouldn't mention his name without including him, but oldstoat gave me some advice on the camera lens side and I bought a Tamron SP 90mm, and that is very nice indeed, infact I don't bother switching it out most of the time. So I am starting to give up the phone shots as
not having to bother with switching the len out on my camera makes it much more useable for quick shots.

Bart, thanks... I had never heard of that before. (I remember putting a dab of Vaseline on my lens years ago to create a soft shot effect before I could buy filters). Do you get good results consistently that way?

Bart Willems
January 31st, 2015, 08:44 PM
Well I wouldn't say *consistently* -- and getting the water on is a bit of a pain in the rear end (upside down works fine, sideways doesn't, so you have to apply it holding the phone horizontal, from underneath).

But it does work (I tried it).

Having photography as a hobby I simply use my SLR, that's a lot easier :) Keep in mind that having a macro lens makes life (a lot) easier, but you will get results that are just as good with a reversing ring (I used the one that allow you to mount a lens reversed onto your camera, but you can also use the lens-to-lens kind) and an old lens (where you can mechanically set the aperture to wide open) for the fraction of the cost of a "real" macro lens.