PDA

View Full Version : new slider on fpgeeks.com

umamom
August 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The new slider on the homepage is cool, but it runs too fast/there is not enough time to read the sentences.
Plz consider slowing it down.

KrazyIvan
August 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
On the bottom left of the image there is a small pause button, just pause the show and press again to start it up.

fountainpenkid
August 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM
i think it detracts from the simplicity of the site... it makes it harder to see all the topics and news. i see the use of viewing new content at the top, but i think the original layout was better.

dannzeman
August 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We value your opinion and do take it into consideration when making changes or updates to the site/forum.

i think it detracts from the simplicity of the site... it makes it harder to see all the topics and news. i see the use of viewing new content at the top, but i think the original layout was better.
I agree, it does take away from the simplicity of the site, but simpler is not always better. The slider solves, what we felt, was an important problem: how to keep important information at the top for more than a few days. Our first solution was to set the number of the posts on the front page to 13. We could increase this, but then scrolling and front page loading times increase. We also have the option to sticky posts, which is good, but if the same posts are always at the top for a couple of days or more many then people think there's nothing new at the site. You'd be surprised how many don't actually scroll down.

The slider allows us to keep important information from being buried, like our monthlong giveaways. It also frees up the top 2-3 posts for news where we would normally 'sticky' posts.

Jon Szanto
August 13th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm aware of the pause button as well, but I'll put in another vote for slowing down the slider. Unless this was truly some "black-box" coding that has been added, it shouldn't be hard to increase the display time for each slide. I like the look, and I like the functionality (in principle), but it becomes a bit of a moot point if you can't read it easily, or if you make more work for the person viewing.

Just my $0.02.