PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine 150Th Anniversary Blue Velvet

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2015, 08:25 AM
There are some excellent inks in latest Diamine 150th anniversary range. As Blue inks are my favourite colours Blue Velvet is my next review.

It flows very well and lubricates the nib very well.
Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, this ink dries reasonably quickly.
Blue Velvet isn't a waterproof ink, but it's fairly water resistant.
This ink is a bit of a stainer and will need more than a quick soap & water wash.
It easily flushes out of pens.
It is currently only available in new unusual 'cake slice' shaped 40ml glass bottles that are very stable and user friendly.
It's widely available, and Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

Lady Onogaro
February 3rd, 2015, 08:29 AM
Oh, yes--I like that. Thank you for the review, Chrissy!

inlovewithjournals
February 3rd, 2015, 08:50 AM
Great review! I saw these inks in their distinctive "cake slice" glory in my local pen shop. Tempting!

Laura N
February 3rd, 2015, 08:54 AM
Excellent review, thank you!

May I throw in a dissenting opinion about the 150th Anniversary bottles? After Mystery Ink I have a bottle of Tropical Green that's more than half empty, and once that happens it becomes harder to fill than a partially empty J. Herbin. Because of the wedge shape, tilting this bottle is even less effective. So while I would rate the bottle high for looks, I find it disappointing in the practical sense.

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2015, 09:19 AM

May I throw in a dissenting opinion about the 150th Anniversary bottles? After Mystery Ink I have a bottle of Tropical Green that's more than half empty, and once that happens it becomes harder to fill than a partially empty J. Herbin. Because of the wedge shape, tilting this bottle is even less effective. So while I would rate the bottle high for looks, I find it disappointing in the practical sense.
That's a very interesting point. I bet not many people have yet got down to a level low enough to find out this information.

Laura N
February 3rd, 2015, 09:40 AM

That's a very interesting point. I bet not many people have yet got down to a level low enough to find out this information.

Yeah, maybe it's a silly complaint, because no bottle is perfect, but I was a little taken by surprise by this. On the bright side -- it's a reason to eventually buy another TWSBI bottle, right? :)

sharmon202
February 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM

Yeah, maybe it's a silly complaint, because no bottle is perfect, but I was a little taken by surprise by this. On the bright side -- it's a reason to eventually buy another TWSBI bottle, right? :)

Could you explain what is Twisbi bottle and what is unique about it? Can be used with all types of pens?

migo984
February 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM

These are the same bottles used for quite some time by L'Artisan Pastellier for their Callifolio inks, so the fill problem is well known. I'm not a fan of the shape.

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2015, 04:43 PM
Could you explain what is Twisbi bottle and what is unique about it? Can be used with all types of pens?

It's a TWSBI Diamond 50 Ink Bottle (http://www.gouletpens.com/search/?query=twsbi) that can be used for all ink

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2015, 04:45 PM

I don't think it's at all silly, but yes, it could easily be a reason to buy another TWSBI ink bottle:bounce:

The Good Captain
February 4th, 2015, 01:45 AM
I like virtually all the 150th Anniversary inks but this one, the Regency Blue and of course the 1864 Blue-Black are my favourites. Plus Safari which is surprisingly water-resistant, as is the Silver fox. Thanks Chrissy.

klpeabody
February 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Chrissy, thank you for this review. This is one of my favorites from the 150th line. It's a bugger to clean though.

I'm with you, I don't know which I like more Regency Blue or Blue Velvet. I'm very happy with both. I am very particular about blue inks; I am hard to please, but both of these rise to the top for me. Very well executed. I think Diamine has done a very nice job with the 150th inks.

k5MOW
February 5th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the review.

Roger