PDA

View Full Version : Parker 45 Clutch Ring Repair

Lady Onogaro
February 3rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
How do I securely attach the ring around the section of a Parker 45? Are they glued? If so, with what?

mhosea
February 3rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
If I'm remembering this correctly, I think they are just friction fit. I've seen them come off before but not really be that "loose". IIRC, there was no particular need to rectify the situation in my case, just to pay attention to the matter when the barrel was off.

Shellac is the duct tape of pen repair, but I haven't had great success with it as a wet glue in situations like this, and it can extrude onto the pen surface and then needs to be polished off (Simichrome is good for that). I think if I were doing this today, I'd remove the ring, use shellac to build up the area where it goes on the pen a little bit (don't want to over-do it), let it dry, and then reinstall the ring in hopes that friction would then keep it snug.

whych
February 3rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
I think the clutch is held by the top jewel on the cap. If you unscrew it, the inner clutch mechanism will come out.
Do a search on fpn for P45 cap.

Lady Onogaro
February 3rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
I think I am calling it the wrong thing, whych. I meant the ring that goes around the section to secure the cap.

mrcharlie
February 3rd, 2015, 06:23 PM
Any sort of springy thing inside the cap that friction fits to a ring on the pen is often called a "clutch" in my reading, but old-time collectors and repair-men might contradict me.

The "ring" on the pen body that the cap friction fits to is usually called the "clutch ring" regardless of the cap having a springy bit inside or just the inside of the cap friction fitting the ring directly.

I just checked my P45, and the clutch ring is a tight friction fit to the section (ie I could pry/push it off and then it was difficult/tight to press it back on), but the barrel clamps it to the section such that even were it loose, it would be held in place as long as the barrel is screwed on to the section.

whych
February 4th, 2015, 10:57 AM
The silver ring between the section and the body is just a push fit onto the section.
Some have either worn loose over time, or got swapped from a different pen.
Try a bit of stcky tape on the inside of the ring you can trime the edges to hide it.

Chrissy
February 4th, 2015, 11:02 AM
The ring or band on the Parker 45 section may be held in place by some shellac. They are frequently loose.