PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI Nibs

DPWilkens
February 4th, 2015, 02:12 PM
So I have a TWSBI 580 1.1 stub, and I've discovered that I don't like writing with stub nibs as much as I thought I would. I like the feel and heft of the pen though, and want to swap the nib out for a fine or medium. Does anyone have a TWSBI with a medium nib? I have a Classic with a fine nib, and would like to know if their medium is a small step up (like the Pilot Metro medium nib) or extremely broad, which I would find too bulky for everyday writing.

Silverbreeze
February 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Check the goulet nib nook

sgtstretch
February 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Do you have a Lamy Fine nib? The 580's Medium is very close to that on good paper like Rhodia notepads, but slightly larger on other papers.

DPWilkens
February 4th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Do you have a Lamy Fine nib? The 580's Medium is very close to that on good paper like Rhodia notepads, but slightly larger on other papers.

I do, actually. I tend to find Asian F nibs to be finer than their European counterparts. Also thanks for pointing out the Goulet nib site, Silverbreeze. I'm still getting used to their new site and all of its quirks...

sgtstretch
February 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM

I do, actually. I tend to find Asian F nibs to be finer than their European counterparts. Also thanks for pointing out the Goulet nib site, Silverbreeze. I'm still getting used to their new site and all of its quirks...

Not sure if you know, but while TWSBI is an Asian pen company, they use German Jowo nibs, so they are closer to other German nibbed pens versus the finer Asian nibbed pens.

Holsworth
February 17th, 2015, 02:01 AM

I'd be inclined to disagree with that, though of course all pens are different. I have an M for my 580 and find it a bit on the broad side. I prefer F to EF nibs in general and have an EF for it as well, but I'd say the M is close to, if not broader than, a Lamy M. Most of my Lamy's are F or EF but I have an M nib somewhere, I can do some comparisons for you later and upload a photo if that would help?

Holsworth
February 17th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Comparison of M nibs for you. TWSBI 580, Lamy Safari, and Kaweco Sport.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/16562250902_33265c74ee.jpg
https://flic.kr/p/rexSb3