PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Exclusive Green Ink for Straits Pens (Think Racing Green)

sunnykoh
February 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Hello All,

I decided it is about time anyway to start a thread on the ink. Some background about it, it started as a discussion between me and one of my local retailers about exclusives that we can sell It progressed into inks and we decided to ask Sailor to make a color the same as MB Racing Green since it is one of the most expensive fountain pen inks on the market. After many months, we have gotten 3 sample colors which we send some to the San Francisco Pen Posse and they are selected 1 of the samples. We can send out more samples for verification but we have yet to placed the final order which we will after the LA Pen Show.

Our min order for any custom color from Sailor is 2 cases. There are 48 Bottles in each case. And we have to order by the cases. The retail price is USD$25.00 per bottle (50ml) and we are going with the more exclusive bottle design. At the moment, 1 case has been spoken for and we will be reserving 1 case for sale in our local market as well as online sales. We are still deciding on if we want to go for the next case or not.

We are also think of what our next color should be. (Thinking of penman sapphire but we are open to suggestions) Let me know what you guys think.

Mr. Sunny Koh (studiohead)
Nib Worker
Straits Pen

Neo
February 6th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Thank you for this opportunity to buy some retired inks. Maybe after Penman Sapphire you would be interested in making a version of Caran D'Ache Saffron or Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock?

Just one bottle of the green ink for me.

reprieve
February 6th, 2015, 06:25 AM
This is such a fantastic idea! I would definitely buy two bottles if they were made available.

Tony Rex
February 6th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I'm in for two bottles as long as it's as saturated as the real thing.

sharmon202
February 6th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I will buy a bottle

sgtstretch
February 6th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I'm interested in a bottle.

sunnykoh
February 6th, 2015, 08:41 AM
BTW We here at Straits Pens are willing to send 2 more samples out to certain pen clubs/group to test the product. (As in the 3 samples that Sailor has made for us) I would like to send one to the Philippines but as for the other, we are open for any large enough group to receive the samples.

These are 5ml Samples.

Nib Worker
Straits Pen

caribbean_skye
February 6th, 2015, 05:58 PM
i will buy a bottle

klpeabody
February 6th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Sunny, you can definitely count on me for 2 bottles.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach out and make this available to us.

Crazyorange
February 6th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I will buy a bottle.

VertOlive
February 6th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Any scans?

Mags
February 7th, 2015, 01:06 AM
I love green.

jde
February 7th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Hello All,

Our min order for any custom color from Sailor is 2 cases. There are 48 Bottles in each case. And we have to order by the cases. The retail price is USD$25.00 per bottle (50ml) and we are going with the more exclusive bottle design. At the moment, 1 case has been spoken for and we will be reserving 1 case for sale in our local market as well as online sales. We are still deciding on if we want to go for the next case or not.

We are also think of what our next color should be. (Thinking of penman sapphire but we are open to suggestions) Let me know what you guys think.

Nib Worker
Straits Pen

Totally editing myself...

Easy for me to say: yes to a bottle or two of Sailor ink that emulates MB Racing Green. :hippie:

P.S. Just saw that "online sales" is an option from Sunny's company. So I've heavily edited this post.

sunnykoh
February 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
We are sill working on the web store. But if you guys want anything, just email us. We normally send a Paypal invoice for the items. After all, some of the last clipless TWSBI Micarta 803 and Diamond Mini White Rose Gold were shipped out of our store in Singapore to the United States. As for getting samples out, we weren't given that much to begin with so we wanted to send to places with the most impact. As for Sailor Colors, I rather not ask them for those. I know that Rikyu-Cha is the second most wanted green ink. Thinking on how to crack this one. As for scans, the San Francisco Pen Posse may have them otherwise I have to wait till Monday to do it when I get back to the office.

jde
February 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM
We are sill working on the web store. But if you guys want anything, just email us. We normally send a Paypal invoice for the items. After all, some of the last clipless TWSBI Micarta 803 and Diamond Mini White Rose Gold were shipped out of our store in Singapore to the United States. As for getting samples out, we weren't given that much to begin with so we wanted to send to places with the most impact. As for Sailor Colors, I rather not ask them for those. I know that Rikyu-Cha is the second most wanted green ink. Thinking on how to crack this one. As for scans, the San Francisco Pen Posse may have them otherwise I have to wait till Monday to do it when I get back to the office.

Understood about the Sailor proprietary colors!

Thanks for letting us know about your offering, Sunny. Awesome! :hippie:

Tiggercat
February 7th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I am interested.

mikeal
February 7th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I would like a bottle of this ink if it becomes available

bleair
February 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM
At a recent pen posse we tried out the candidate samples from Sunny, and one was quite close.

I'll post pictures soon.

bleair
February 8th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Montblanc Racing green was released in 2008 and sadly discontinued a short time later. You can still occasionally find a bottle, but usually the seller is charging a price somewhere between a "sizable premium" to "you can't really be serious!?!" (as in there happens to be a seller on amazon currently offering a bottle for 180$)

Sunny has been working with Sailor to build a custom ink that tries to capture the key qualities of MB RG and lives up to our expectations. In my opinion, they've almost nailed.

Some comments about the photos I've posted. I don't have my soft box setup yet, so I'm using a direct flash in these photos so the tonal range is compressed. I'm hoping to fix this soon. The writing on the shot with the swabs was done with a dip pen. The others are a page of writing done with each color using an extra fine flex nib.

In person the similarity is very good. When right side by side I can identify a few subtle visual differences, and writing with the ink you can tell it's a bit dryer writing, but they are really close.

As Sonny wrote, if you're interested you'll have to indicate if you want a bottle. This will be a limited production run.

If you'll be at the LA pen show and are interested I'll have the writing samples and the sample with me so you can see it in person.16252162531625416255

Laura N
February 9th, 2015, 06:35 AM
It looks good. I've already put myself down for two bottles, but I suppose repeating it won't hurt. :)

Crazyorange
February 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Looks wonderful. Getting excited about having a bottle.

Chrissy
February 9th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Hello All,

Nib Worker
Straits Pen

Might I put forward a suggestion that you could replicate the original Omas Vespucci Red ink? It's one that is very sought after and is impossible to find.

Sailor could even do a better job at replicating it than another company who is attempting to replicate it for another FP forum

I have previously contacted you by PM and confirmed I wanted Sailor Racing Green, so hopefully I'm already on the list for one.

migo984
February 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Have sent a PM. Thanks for this opportunity.

sunnykoh
February 9th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Hello All,

It is getting very hard for us to track both Forums and people, as such we have created a Google Form for people to express their interest. The link is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18sTERvTFBtzqhGy4oY-xJyeeua7WD2RdhQulx-wlynI/viewform?usp=send_form Please enter the details so we can keep track, if you have any comments, please do so here in the forums. Thanks.

Regards

Nib Worker
Straits Pens