PDA

View Full Version : So, You Set Out To Do A Huge Ink Test Session

RayCornett
February 10th, 2015, 01:56 AM
How picky are you about your surroundings when testing inks? Do you turn fans off, close windows, etc doing all sorts of things to prevent them from interfering with the results like drying time, etc.?

Jon Szanto
February 10th, 2015, 02:55 AM
No. Because when I write, I live in the real world. Things happen. Nothing remains the same. "Clean room" tactics would never play a part in the everyday, rough and tumble of life.

I just clear off the desk, make sure I've got on clothes that I can sacrifice, and DIVE IN!!!

Crazyorange
February 10th, 2015, 05:31 AM
No. Because when I write, I live in the real world. Things happen. Nothing remains the same. "Clean room" tactics would never play a part in the everyday, rough and tumble of life.

I just clear off the desk, make sure I've got on clothes that I can sacrifice, and DIVE IN!!!

You risk taker. ;)

I keep it to the kitchen just incase something gets spilled. I did tip a bottle of ink over and lost half of it all over my white kitchen cabinets and the tile floor. It took an hour to clean it up. What a mess. So I keep ink activity to the kitchen.

tandaina
February 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I don't really test ink that way. I just ink up a pen and *use* it. Simple as that. So no special precautions taken.

DaveBj
February 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM

^^^This. Like Jon, I live in the real world, not in a laboratory.

chojo
February 10th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I don't really test ink that way. I just ink up a pen and *use* it. Simple as that. So no special precautions taken.

This is how I do it too. Although sometimes if I have too many pens inked and I buy a new ink I'll use a dip pen just to see if it's as nice as I hoped for.

reprieve
February 10th, 2015, 01:09 PM
If I've bought a new bottle of ink, I'll pick a pen, ink it, and just start writing. But if I've ordered a whole bunch of samples (looking for one very particular shade of blue or green or purple or whatever), I'll clear off my desk and I'll break out a couple of dip pens, some q-tips, and my ink journal. I'm not very scientific about any of it.

top pen
February 10th, 2015, 02:18 PM
To be honest I don't have a great affinity to ink I might appreciate the 12 bottles have but I never go out of the way to enjoy them or experiment with them. The only thing I need to do ink wise is order better broad nibbed pen as there no best way to enjoy inks then with one.

Waski_the_Squirrel
February 10th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Nothing special for me. The only preparation is a jar of water to clean off my glass dip pen.

Frantik
February 11th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Did a session last evening to try the new inks I got... I think I prefer to use the kitchen table since it is more spacious and i can keep all bottles ,towels , pens and writing paper around for easy access.

Jon Szanto
February 11th, 2015, 02:03 AM
I did have one thought to pass along...

Since we're talking "ink tests", it wouldn't be a surprise that many people would be comparing some samples... that come in little small vials. Veeery easy to knock over. So, early on, I made a holder, as simple as can be: I had a couple of chunks of high-density foam that must have come as packing sometime. The one I'm looking at is about 6" long x 3" wide x 2" high. Took a 1/2" wood boring bit and, with my drill press (easy enough to do freehand with a power drill as well), I drilled 6 holes a little more than an 1" deep.

Now I can take the sample vials that come from the Goulets, friends, elsewhere, pop them into the holder and then when I take the cap off, nothing will tip over. Super easy, no cost, and no puddles of ink on the desk.

FWIW

DaveBj
February 11th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Since we're talking "ink tests", it wouldn't be a surprise that many people would be comparing some samples... that come in little small vials. Veeery easy to knock over. So, early on, I made a holder, as simple as can be: I had a couple of chunks of high-density foam that must have come as packing sometime. The one I'm looking at is about 6" long x 3" wide x 2" high. Took a 1/2" wood boring bit and, with my drill press (easy enough to do freehand with a power drill as well), I drilled 6 holes a little more than an 1" deep.

Now I can take the sample vials that come from the Goulets, friends, elsewhere, pop them into the holder and then when I take the cap off, nothing will tip over. Super easy, no cost, and no puddles of ink on the desk.

FWIW

That's one solution. I'm using only one sample vial at a time, so I use a spring-loaded clamp from Lowe's. It would take a major earthquake (or a cat on my desk) to knock that combination over.

Laura N
February 11th, 2015, 11:14 AM

FWIW

See those words in bold? When I own, or can even identify, those items -- then you will know we are at The End of Days.

Crazyorange
February 11th, 2015, 12:20 PM

FWIW

See those words in bold? When I own, or can even identify, those items -- then you will know we are at The End of Days.

Maybe John will make one for us tool challenged folks;)

Tracy Lee
February 12th, 2015, 09:01 AM
What she said. With AC running, ceiling fans going and 4 cats trying to help.