PDA

View Full Version : Cross Pens

k5MOW
February 10th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Good morning all

I noticed here there is not a section for cross pens. What do you all think of the company Cross do they make good pens.

Roger

Silverbreeze
February 10th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Which price mark??!

k5MOW
February 10th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Which price mark??!

Well the higher end pens. About $250.00 to $300.00

Roger

Silverbreeze
February 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Those are ok. Any under 200 and I say get an Edison

MelanieWI
February 11th, 2015, 12:07 AM
I am prefacing this reply by saying that I am not any kind of expert when it comes to fountain pens. I know what I like and that's about all. And none of my pens are more than $30 or so. So I am sure that there are fancier options out there.

That said, I was gifted with a Cross Aventura this past December. It's definitely on the lower end of the price range for fountain pens. I like it, but it does have a fairly broad nib, which I quite like, but I know that's not for everyone.

It feels good in my hand, but that's a subjective thing. It has the bigger barrel, which I like, and it's not heavy to hold. It came with black cartridges and I bought some blue ones. I don't know if they make converters or not but I'll probably just refill one of the cartridges with a syringe if I want to use different ink. It writes smoothly for me and does not skip, and was easy to use right out of the package.

The one thing that bugs me is that when you post the cap on the end of the pen, it falls off every time. Not a huge deal as I just lay it on the table instead. But it really ought to fit securely on the pen. When the pen is closed, the cap is definitely on safely...it's just when you're using it that it becomes a problem. I don't know if that's a Cross thing or just something that happens with the cheaper Aventura model.

I probably like it more than I normally would, just because it was a gift. But I honestly like it more than my Sailor Clear Candy, probably because the nib is broader.

StacyBean
February 11th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I have a bunch of the Cross Solo ATX model which were made in bright durable plastic with a lovely design and excellent nibs (perhaps made by Pilot) . These turn up in the $20-30 range from time to time. I think they are just splendid.

Bluecamp
February 11th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Cross recently released their Peerless 125 which is an excellent pen, imo. It wears a Sailor nib with some spring, extremely smooth and a joy to write with. I have the Platinum and Gold on order with a zoom nib and also ordered a fine nib section. Nibs come with the sections, easy to swap out.