PDA

View Full Version : Newton Pens (that's me) Going Full Time!

Newton Pens
February 10th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Big Announcement (http://newtonpens.com/2015/02/09/big-announcement-scholarhip-fund-raising-and-those-scholarships/)

I’ve been teaching for almost 7 years now, and while the job has had its ups and downs, I love teaching. I don’t think I’m the best art teacher there is, I’m sure I leave a LOT of information out of my classes, and I probably skip over a lot that I shouldn’t, but hopefully some of the kids have picked something up from me. I know I’ve learned a lot from them.

I’ve just turned in my letter of resignation, effective the end of this school year, so I can begin making pens full time. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. My wife and I have talked about it for hours on end over the last year. It’s risky going out on my own, but with the amount that my business has grown in just three years, I’m confident that we’ll be okay financially. Having one job will allow me to spend more time with my family, too. I don’t want to miss my kids growing up.

I’m excited to see where this takes us.

February Scholarship Fund Raiser

Starting now, I’m going to change the way I raise money for the scholarships a little bit. Instead of a two week period post card sale, the cards will be on sale continuously, and the numbering for the pen give away will be for the duration of each month. So from the 1st until the last day, whatever that may be. Post cards will always be for sale from now on – all you have to do is send $10 with paypal to newtonpenspay@gmail.com and a postal address, and I’ll send some cards your way. This means there will be one custom pen give away each month, the winner being announced the last day of the month. If you have any questions, please ask. Yes it’s still free to enter as long as you send a note or postcard in the mail to me at PO Box 6084, Hot Springs, Ar. 71902

Purchase post cards and learn more about the scholarship here.

Well Newton, if you’re not teaching anymore, how are you going to get new art for the post cards? I’ve already thought of that, and this is easy. I’m going to pop into my old class every now and then and talk with the new teacher about getting some photos of work from the kiddos. I’m also going to expand this to the other local schools and make it into an art contest with a cash prize. I want to get lots of kids involved in making these post cards and in turn get the word out about the scholarship to more students.

So starting now – you can buy a pack of postcards to help some lucky deserving students with their college expenses.

Postcards are NOW for sale again to raise money for the Newton Pen’s Scholarship.

So far we’ve raised $4396! Thank you all so much!

There’s only a few more months to raise money, let’s see if we can match or beat last years total of $6000.

Thanks!

Read all the rules on how to enter here.

A winner will be picked from all the entries February 28, around 9pm US Central time.

And get those scholarship applications in!

Deadline for scholarship applications is March 1st. I won’t take anything that comes in after that date. Be sure the forms are filled out completely and correctly! Nothing bothers me more than discarding incomplete applications.

Visit http://newtonpens.wordpress.com/scholarship-application/ for the form. Tell your friends! Tell your friends’ kids! If you’re a teacher, tell your students! Applications and essays are starting to trickle in. Don’t delay!

And finally…

Thanks for your support over the last few years. When I started making pens I never thought it would have grown so much like it has. I hope that being able to dedicate more time to it will help the scholarship to grow even more.

Big thanks to Tim for the great post earlier today.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask.

And since this is the pen making forum... :)

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/007.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/0051.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/003.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/010.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

kbrede
February 10th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Beautiful pens! I wish you the best in your endeavor.
Kent

Lady Onogaro
February 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Best wishes to you, Shawn Newton! The pens I have seen online have been beautiful, and I know their owners are appreciative of the work you put into them.

VertOlive
February 10th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Kudos and Godspeed to you in this undertaking. Just beautiful pens!

earthdawn
February 10th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Shawn.... much congrats and all the best. I am sure you will continue to do well. I know your Que is usually backed up so this should allow you to catch up as they say.

You make beautiful pens and I think it is awesome to see anyone doing what they really love in life. You have a great gift and enjoy sharing it... I for one an looking forward to deciding on a pen to have you make.

Being able to have more family time is something that you just can't replace ever.

Again, congrats and I for one am looking forward to seeing all your great work here, on your site & Instagram !

Jon Szanto
February 10th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Shawn, I've said it before: you really are a treasure. Please don't ever measure your years of teaching by the bushelfuls of information doled out, measure it in the students you've inspired in so many ways. Their lives are forever changed for the better through your encouragement, and no one can ever diminish that.

I wish you the very best in your future pursuits, and that the pens fly out of the (tiny, cramped) shop as fast as you make them. On to the next challenge, and enjoy your *own* kids along the way!

Tracy Lee
February 11th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Congratulations, Shawn! This is such exciting news for you, but also for everyone else who wants to work with you to design the perfect pen. Your passion for the arts and the kids has always been so clear to me and the value you give is undeniable. Enjoy pioneering this new destiny, it is truly inspiring.

Crazyorange
February 11th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Wishing you the best!! I think you will find your business will explode. You have a wonderful reputation and your pens are beautiful. May all your good will come back to you double fold.

Newton Pens
February 11th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks Jon, Believe me that is how I measure my teaching by. There's still a lot that *I wish I could have done better, or more of, or at all.

My wife and I were dreaming last night of a shop that we can both stand in. :) Maybe in a couple of years.

Thanks everybody.

ethernautrix
February 11th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Wonderful news, Shawn! Your workmanship and creativity are topnotch, and I am confident you will be busier than ever! Best of luck to you!

alc3261
February 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Congratulations, it will be a great success!!

sharmon202
February 11th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Congratulations on your courageous decision!

Mesu
February 13th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Great news for the pen enthusiasts.

Congrats, both for the bold move and understanding life partner :)

Best wishes for your venture

Frank
February 13th, 2015, 10:14 PM
WOW Shawn! That's a BIG decision!!

Best of luck on the venture!

Best,
Frank

Newjelan
February 14th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Congratulations! As someone who decided to "jump ship" and set up their own business 12 years ago, I'm sure you'll love every minute of it.

I love your pens and when I have a little more time in the next couple of weeks, I'll be back to look at the Scholarship project in more detail (and maybe break my "No More Pens" rule).

Newton Pens
February 15th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks!

I've been tooling up like crazy this last week, getting ready to learn to work with silver. I'll be making my own rings, clips, and overlays.
I've got one helluva great jeweler teaching me. First thing we're going to do is build a proper work bench. :)

drgoretex
February 15th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Congrats on the decision, Shawn. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time, given the success of your pen work.

Here's wishing you great success, and also hoping that the pen making doesn't become too much like work, and stays fun.

Cheers,

Ken

mrcharlie
February 15th, 2015, 08:21 PM
There was a time, before FPN told makers they couldn't just post every new pen they made, where I would watch all the items you posted in the makers forum because I liked your story, and I almost always like the aesthetics of your pens. I wish you the best as you go full time at it.

mhguda
February 16th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Congratulations, Shawn!
A courageous and wonderful decision, and I'm glad your family stands by you as you start this new course... without cutting ties to your teaching past.
I'm sure you will keep your foot in the door, so to speak, and your students won't forget you, either. A teacher who knows he learned a lot from his students is a good teacher, and those will be remembered.
All the best in the new career, and keep up the good work with the scholarships, too!

Newton Pens
February 16th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much. :)

perfaddict
February 24th, 2015, 03:18 AM
All the very best, Shawn. Nothing beats making a living out of what one loves passionately.