PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Area Pen Posse

RayCornett
February 11th, 2015, 05:02 AM
I have been thinking about starting a Sacramento area pen group and now that I skipped this semester of college I have more time to make it happen between now and September when I have to go back. I would like to see who would be interested. You don't have to be a Sacramento resident but I want to have an option for a group for people in and around Sacramento who can't make it to the bay area group get togethers. Who's in?!

Farmboy
February 13th, 2015, 01:53 AM
You and Jay Bar should coordinate efforts. Jay Bar is also trying to set up a Sacramento area club or gathering. I responded to him on FPN but if I remember correctly you no longer participate there. I could relay a message for you.

Sketchy
February 15th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I'm very interested in participating in a Sacramento Pen Posse! I live in Arbuckle, a bit north of Sac, but I work in downtown Sacramento. Let me know how I can help.

Farmboy
February 15th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I'm very interested in participating in a Sacramento Pen Posse! I live in Arbuckle, a bit north of Sac, but I work in downtown Sacramento. Let me know how I can help.

Sketch-

We missed you in LA this year. We will make up for it next week at the Post-Show Posse.

You might peek in on the other board and make contact with Jay Bar. He is also trying to set up a Sacramento area meeting.

Jon Szanto
February 15th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Data points:

1. Sketchy was *definitely* missed in LA, by more than a couple people.
2. I had no idea that Sac and SF were far enough apart to be a barrier. I've driven to LA for deals like this, 2 hours if I'm lucky.
3. Best of luck finding peeps to make it happen - nothing better than pen people coming together. Caveat: you have to have at least one or two knowledgeable ones.
4. Ray, I thought you were a retired engineer or something. College? Man, was *I* off the mark.

gweddig
February 15th, 2015, 11:27 PM
I might be able to come down too. Call it. There are a few others who might pop in with some expert convincing. Of course it's no substitute for meat chips. Hint hint.
I would add to Jon's #3 above: you also need food and\or drink for better Posse flow. (That can come later though)

--greg

Jon Szanto
February 15th, 2015, 11:50 PM
I'll give a parable, because not every Posse will end up emulating the SF Posse meets...

In San Diego, we meet in the little workroom of pen guy Ron Meloche. 2nd Sat of every month, and this group way predates me. Ron does a lot of pen repair and restoration, so it is a bonus that we are in there, and minor tweaks can be done. OTOH, it's small and filled with somewhat serious pen guys (and occasional gals), so while donuts are supplied, it isn't the free-wheeling, devil-may-care atmosphere of what I've seen at Peter's Cafe (and elsewhere) - it pretty much focuses on pens, which is ok. No forum involvement at all, just word-of-mouth, though I've invited a couple people I have met in forums.

You just need to do it. In fact, Ray, you just need to say "I'm going to be at such-and-such place at a certain time, I'm going to have pens and inks and tools, and let's see how many people we can get together!" It's a start, and it will grow if you feed it. Hope it works.

Sketchy
February 16th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Yep, that's the way it works, pick a place, date and time, and put the word out. The one piece of advice is, if one calls a pen posse it should be at a venue they will enjoy just in case no one else shows up. It happened to me once, although I didn't call it. Fortunately it was at 'Castle in the Air' in Berkeley and I had a great time dipping just about every pen in the store. Daniel, an employee there, was so tolerant that I felt compelled to buy a pen...or four.

Farmboy
February 16th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Yep, that's the way it works, pick a place, date and time, and put the word out.

This concept is difficult for some.

ethernautrix
February 16th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Yep, that's the way it works, pick a place, date and time, and put the word out.

This concept is difficult for some.

I think people don't believe others will show up. But that's okay. Just keep calling the Pen Posse. And just keep reporting back. If you show how much fun (and easy) it is, then Pen Posse tends to pick up and take off.

sdcurnow
February 16th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Sacramento? I'm in.

Farmboy
February 16th, 2015, 08:18 PM
How about one of you local to Sacramento give RayCornett and Jay Bar (from FPN) a ride down to the Pen Posse at Peter's Cafe POST-LA meeting?

RayCornett
April 17th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Due to a situation I am still dealing with regarding my fiance's Father's house being for sale through probate and me having to actually stay there in Stockton for insurance reasons, but travel back and forth to Sacramento at times, my schedule is pretty unstable. However, that will be done soon as there is finally a buyer. Once things settle down with that I can entertain actually getting the Sac Posse going. I have big plans it the group grows enough.

AltecGreen
April 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
As a reminder, there is a Pen Posse tomorrow in Dixon.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/11191-Pen-Posse-Sacramento-Ca-4-18-15-Yea-The-Wedding-Is-Over

So if you live in the Sacramento area, please stop by.