PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy nibs?

transknition
February 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I was wondering if it's common for finer Estie nibs to be scratchy. I have 3 Estie J's, and all three of them are scratchy to some degree. One of them, on a pen I just bought, is so scratchy I'm replacing it (ordered from Anderson Pens just now). That one is a 1551. My 1554 is okay but not great, as is the 2556 on my transitional J. I like the pens, I just wish the nibs were slightly smoother. Is there a way to fix them without sending the nibs off? Thanks.

Crazyorange
February 12th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Are you apply to much pressure when writing? No death grip?

carlos.q
February 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM

I was going to ask the same question. A very light touch is always needed for best results.

carlos.q
February 12th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Or to quote Bo Bo Olson: hold the pen like a featherless baby bird. Don't make bird paste!

Jeph
February 12th, 2015, 12:07 PM
While all that is true, I want to focus on the how you can work on them yourselves part.
This is not without risk, and does take some time to get a feel for what you are doing, but the results can turn an unusable pen into a joyful writing experiment.
You can get a lot of information doing internet searches and a great deal of it is even right.

I suggest that first you read what Richard Binder says on the issue here Richard Binder Nib Smoothing (http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf)

Goulet also has some informative videos but it looks like they have hidden them on their website. The used to be easy to find but they are still there somewhere.

Scrawler
February 13th, 2015, 09:02 PM
The 1xxx and 2xxx series nibs are not tipped with "iridium". They have folded tips. These are nowhere near as hard and durable as iridium tipping. This means that they wear a flat foot, which will feel scratchy to a new user, who holds the pen at a slightly different angle. The wear can be so great that the folded part simply breaks off, leaving a scratchy tip. The methods of smoothing that Richard discusses are for tipped nibs. If you want smooth Esterbrook nibs you want newer ones. Or you need to get 9xxx series nibs, which are tipped and will smooth.

transknition
February 13th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the input, you all. I appreciate it. I'll play with my grip a bit more...

Scrawler
February 14th, 2015, 07:07 AM
One of the major causes of scratchiness is misalignment of the tines. This can happen as a result of dropping the pen. Moving them back into alignment is quite simple. You just lift the lower tine with a thumbnail. Very fine nibs inherently feel scratchier, and are more prone to digging into the paper. I like the 2668 nib, which is medium and not scratchy when new. There is an equivalent 9668, which will undoubtedly last for ever, while the 2886 has a limited service life. However the 2668 is slightly longer and so looks nicer in my tiny SJ pen. You need to try a few nibs to see which you like, then stock up on them. It has been while since I bought any Estie nibs, but I remember them being only $10-$15. Before running off and spending money, see if there is a pen posse in your vicinity and ask others to try their Esterbrook pens. There is a huge range of nibs available, and some people (me included) have placed high cost and superb gold nibs in them for fun. Playing with Estie nibs can become a whole hobby in its own right.

SteveE
February 18th, 2015, 01:40 PM
. . . and don't forget that by their very nature, the user-replaceable nibs often get installed/pulled out repeatedly, and may have become damaged or mis-aligned in handling. Nibs that may have spent long periods of time in parts drawers sans boxes are especially prone to drawer-damage. A careful check of tine alignment is called for.

That said, I have found that the "lower" series nibs (1XXX and 2XXX) seem more likely to be scratchy, no matter their width. Usually, alignment and maybe some light smoothing takes care of that.

transknition
February 24th, 2015, 12:49 AM
I just wanted to post an update. I got my new nibs from the Andersons today, and it's obviously not my grip because the new nibs write so smoothly that my pen just flies across the page. So yeah, the old ones were just scratchy. I'm glad that's all it was.

k5MOW
February 24th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Glad to hear you figured it out.

Roger

carlos.q
February 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I just wanted to post an update. I got my new nibs from the Andersons today, and it's obviously not my grip because the new nibs write so smoothly that my pen just flies across the page. So yeah, the old ones were just scratchy. I'm glad that's all it was.

Excellent! :thumb: