PDA

View Full Version : MB Nibs now can be removed by hand.

Bluecamp
February 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM
FYI: On the Montblanc JFK Blue and The Montblanc 149 90th, the nibs can be removed my gently twisting them out. They now have a rubber gasket and the thread sealant is not used on these two pen. I suspect all MB will be headed in this direction.

FredRydr
February 12th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Whoa! Is that a gasket or ring in the photo? Is there an o-ring inside the section?

Nib swaps on new pens can be done in the back room of any boutique or retailer. Like a Pelikan. I wonder if Montblanc will allow a customer to buy several nibs for one pen?

Fred

Bluecamp
February 12th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Gasket, nothing inside for sealing purposes. My dealer also told me he has to send back all 90th stock to be refitted at the end of February. For those on the fence for a 90th, now is the time. So I "assume" this means the 149's from here on out will be exchangeable nibs. Due to a mishap with my JFK, I have a replacement nib is route. No idea of cost at this time.

tandaina
February 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Gah I love the 90th anniversaries. Sadly, way too expensive. :(

FredRydr
February 12th, 2015, 01:32 PM
My dealer also told me he has to send back all 90th stock to be refitted....
Interesting. Could this mean compatibility with existing sections for retrofit, i.e, as pens have been made for decades? We need more detail as these new modular nib units are distributed.

Fred

Mags
February 13th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I am nervous but I may give my 90th a twist.

EclecticCollector
February 13th, 2015, 05:02 PM
My 146 90th still has the two dimples for the tool, I wonder if it can still be safely removed by hand...

FredRydr
February 14th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Bluecamp, are you able to share a photo of the collar with the nib in place? We can compare it.

Fred

Bluecamp
February 15th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Both my pens have the dimples for the tool. They come out with very little pressure applied. Makes for easy cleaning. Hope this helps.

Bluecamp
February 15th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Here is the JFK nib which I believe is the same size as the Legrand.

FredRydr
February 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Thank you!

The difference is apparent, so it will be easy to see if it's a traditional installation or modular nib unit. I hope Francis' tool will fit the new design, but it doesn't appear so (if it's even needed).

Fred

CS388
February 16th, 2015, 01:58 PM
At last!

The end of the sticky stuff? This is a sensible 21st century solution to pen building. Looks excellent!

My dealer also told me he has to send back all 90th stock to be refitted....
Interesting. Could this mean compatibility with existing sections for retrofit, i.e, as pens have been made for decades? We need more detail as these new modular nib units are distributed.

Fred

I, too, was wondering about retro-fit for older pens. But, I'd be surprised, as the feeder case would need to be machined to fit the ring/gasket?
Unless, of course, you simply buy a new unit which could fit your model?

I'd imagine that the new pens could now be bought with a selection of nibs - probably complete units (nib/feed/case/gasket), so it's just a matter of screwing them in.

Great news. Thanks for sharing, Bluecamp.

FredRydr
February 17th, 2015, 08:19 AM
We can save a bundle by installing Esterbrook nibs in our WE pens! :stop:

Fred

cellardoor04
February 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I had no idea MB nibs were non-removable... I was asking someone (a MB collector) how to clean the ink window of one of my 146s, and he told me the nib was removable by unscrewing it. I tried it and sure enough the nib and feed unscrewed from the section, much like Pelikan's pens. I hope I didn't wreck anything! The pen is still working fine :P

tandaina
February 26th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I had no idea MB nibs were non-removable... I was asking someone (a MB collector) how to clean the ink window of one of my 146s, and he told me the nib was removable by unscrewing it. I tried it and sure enough the nib and feed unscrewed from the section, much like Pelikan's pens. I hope I didn't wreck anything! The pen is still working fine :P

Weird, none of my old MBs unscrew that I know of. It would be interesting to have a list.

Flounder
February 26th, 2015, 12:15 PM
An interesting development. I have noticed a similar silicon-y gasket sealing the feed in my Custom Heritage 92, in the section. Sensible design!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Pilot%20Custom%20Heritage%2092/PilotCustomHeritage92FeedGasket.jpg

sixmr
February 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I just tested this on my 146 which I bought a few years ago from La Couronne du Comte. Mine has the notches for the tool as well but easily unscrews just like an M800. Thanks for the post, Bluecamp.