PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to fit a TWSBI nib on a pilot custom 823 ?

lowks
February 23rd, 2015, 07:43 AM
Risking a Fraken-pen has anyone experimented fixing a TWSBI nib on a pilot custom 823 ? Is it even possible ?

Laura N
February 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM
Is it possible to put a Yugo engine in a Rolls? :)

Really, I hate to be so candid, but this question makes me wonder if something is wrong with your Custom 823. Maybe you got one with a lemon for a nib -- or if you bought used, maybe your seller messed up the nib before dumping it? Normally, that pen has a great nib.

lowks
February 23rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Laura, the pen has a superb nib, however one of the situations you describe happened. I went to the shop they said they did not carry the broad nib which I wanted (which incidentally was advertised on their website as being available). There was no other place in town which carried it. So instead of returning home empty handed, I settled for a 823 with a Fine nib. Each day I write with the Fine nib, I am seeing why people praise this kind of nib, however I find myself thinking from time to time if a Broad would fit me better and I happened to have a left over TWSBI nib, so that's the basis behind the question.

dr.grace
February 23rd, 2015, 10:56 AM
I agree with Laura. I'm usually not this blunt, but I have to say it would be a travesty to put a TWSBI nib in an 823. The best thing is to sell the pen and buy an 823 with a B nib, if that's what you want.

Jon Szanto
February 23rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Never settle. Never.

Look, for the few bucks more in difference between a nib assembly and an entire TWSBI pen, just get a TWSBI (mini or whatever you want) with the nib you want, and then you STILL have a great Japanese fine in a really nice pen, and then you have the TWSBI nib for whatever reason you want to write with that.

Don't do anything dumb.

rgperedo
February 24th, 2015, 09:53 AM
If you didn't try to remove the nib/feed from the 823 I'll buy it from you. I'll even send you a TWSBI 580 if you want. Don't do anything to that 823.

Laura, the pen has a superb nib, however one of the situations you describe happened. I went to the shop they said they did not carry the broad nib which I wanted (which incidentally was advertised on their website as being available). There was no other place in town which carried it. So instead of returning home empty handed, I settled for a 823 with a Fine nib. Each day I write with the Fine nib, I am seeing why people praise this kind of nib, however I find myself thinking from time to time if a Broad would fit me better and I happened to have a left over TWSBI nib, so that's the basis behind the question.

Laura N
February 24th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Have you considered asking the store to facilitate a nib exchange for you with Pilot service? I don't know for a fact that Pilot does this, but other brands do, so it could be worth asking.

lowks
February 24th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Just wondering out loud have not touched the 823 or did anything yet.

mhosea
February 24th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Generally speaking, substituting a steel nib for a gold one is not straightforward because steel nibs are usually so much thicker than gold nibs. It probably would not fit. Also, Pilot nibs nestle into recesses in the pilot feed for a precise fit. Even a gold nib replacement would probably require some skilled work to make it fit right, even if the radius of curvature is already correct.

dr.grace
February 24th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Have you considered asking the store to facilitate a nib exchange for you with Pilot service? I don't know for a fact that Pilot does this, but other brands do, so it could be worth asking.

I'd definitely ask about this. Maybe the store could order one in B and then swap nib units.

lowks
February 24th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I'd definitely ask about this. Maybe the store could order one in B and then swap nib units.

I did. The store told me to wait till mid March.

Waski_the_Squirrel
February 24th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I'm curious what the benefit is to putting the broad TWSBI nib in the 823. Why not just write with the TWSBI?

lowks
February 24th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I'm curious what the benefit is to putting the broad TWSBI nib in the 823. Why not just write with the TWSBI?

I got an extra TWSBI nib

velo
February 24th, 2015, 09:24 PM
It's placing more value on the usage of a TWSBI nib than the 823. Like others have said it's not worth it.

Willieboy
March 10th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I'm with Laura too. I'd be dipped in red hot chocolate before I'd put a TWSBI nib on my 823, especially since pilot makes no fewer than fifteen nibs for that pen. I opted for the 1.0mm stub nib and it is excellent.