PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Flat-Top Black and Pearl. Yowza!

david i
February 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
A happy David pen find. And, another fresh find, not material from my photo archives. Hardly a wholesale/bargain/evil-davey/found-from-bad-ebay-ad, I stretched to buy this one, found on the table of a fellow collector-dealer at the Los Angeles Pen Show, Feb 2015. It is of course Sheaffer "flat top" oversized, Celluoid, 1930s.

Its features offer some interesting insight into the role/timing of Sheaffer flat-top production, which we can explore if anyone cares to. Nothing new there, but still unfamiliar to many. But, in having to have (oooh, a scary notion) this one for my personal collection, I fear I have proved that my roles in the buy/sell of old pens and in what passes for pen academe have not let me wholly lose the frisson that stems from my hack-amateur-newbie "gotta have that one" pen-collecting heart, I paid perhaps more than I have for any other Celluloid flat-top Sheaffer in my personal collection. I worked hard with Photoshop to capture a realistic look for this pen.

Anyone care to comment what caught my eye?

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/sheaffer_flattop_blackandpearl_superb950a.jpg

regards

David

gweddig
February 26th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Going out on a limb to ask if the barrel celluloid is spiral wrapped but I would be surprised if it was. It also looks to me like an SC.

Should be okay until you can find one with good color.

--greg

david i
February 26th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Hi Greg,

Celluloid pen barrels were done variably via bored-solid vs wrapped (both helical and longitudinal orientations) sheets. This one indeed has a helical wrap. Good eye. But, I have wrapped-sheet Sheaffers, a style introduced later than the bored-rod approach. I suspect your second paragraph touches more upon what caught my eye ;)

regards

David