PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pens with italic nibs on the cheaper side

kbrede
February 27th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I'm putting together a list of pens with italic nibs around $40.00 or less. Below is a list of ones I already know about, what am I missing?

Lamy: Safari and other Lamy pens
Pilot: Plumix, Prera, 78g
Nemosine: Singularity, Neutrino, Fission

Thanks,
Kent

KBeezie
February 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Most if not all of those would be what I consider stubs (when I see 'italic' I'm thinking cursive italic or crisp italic which is going to be sharper than a stub with more noticeable line variation at even smaller widths, where as stubs are smoothed quite a bit to allow for easier/everyday writing even with an untrained hand, but the corner isn't as crisp in the writing).

I was going to suggest something like the Parson Essential Itallix, but Not sure those are $40 or less, I think after the GBP to USD conversion it's probably $60.

Most any pen that can take a Jowo #6 is going to be able to take one of the many stubs out there (ie: Goulet 1.1, 1.5, Nemosine 0.8/1.1/1.5/1.9, Knox 1.1/1.5/1.9, etc), such as the slew of Chinese pens out there (popular ones being Jinhao X750, X450, 159). The nibs themselves would be about $6 to $15, and the pens that can hold them range anywhere from $4 and up, including some like the Noodler's Ahab at $20. So if it can take a Jowo #6, you can just get the pen you want and pair it up with the nib you want.

The more expensive option to the above would be to grab a custom grind, or something like a Franklin-Christoph cursive italic, but those nibs don't start less than $44 for a #5 (or $49 for a #6), they do have some 1.1, 1.4 and 1.5 "cursive calligraphy" nibs for $25 in either #5 and #6 if you like that brand of nibs.

Neo
February 27th, 2015, 08:07 AM
For $40 you can buy a 4 pack of these in different widths,

http://www.gouletpens.com/PN90052/p/PN90052

writingrav
February 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM
The Italix Parson's Essential is worth the slightly higher price. Still very reasonable.

Willieboy
March 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I have a Conklin Duraflex with 1.1mm italic nib and it's wonderful. I paid $40-$50 from Goulet's.

Scrawler
March 7th, 2015, 02:32 PM
An Esterbrook with an Osmiroid italic nib. There is a very broad choice of Osmiroid nibs from fine italic, all the way to paintbrushes 4mm wide.

TSherbs
March 8th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Most if not all of those would be what I consider stubs (when I see 'italic' I'm thinking cursive italic or crisp italic which is going to be sharper than a stub with more noticeable line variation at even smaller widths, where as stubs are smoothed quite a bit to allow for easier/everyday writing even with an untrained hand, but the corner isn't as crisp in the writing).

I was going to suggest something like the Parson Essential Itallix, but Not sure those are $40 or less, I think after the GBP to USD conversion it's probably $60.

Most any pen that can take a Jowo #6 is going to be able to take one of the many stubs out there (ie: Goulet 1.1, 1.5, Nemosine 0.8/1.1/1.5/1.9, Knox 1.1/1.5/1.9, etc), such as the slew of Chinese pens out there (popular ones being Jinhao X750, X450, 159). The nibs themselves would be about $6 to $15, and the pens that can hold them range anywhere from $4 and up, including some like the Noodler's Ahab at $20. So if it can take a Jowo #6, you can just get the pen you want and pair it up with the nib you want.

The more expensive option to the above would be to grab a custom grind, or something like a Franklin-Christoph cursive italic, but those nibs don't start less than $44 for a #5 (or $49 for a #6), they do have some 1.1, 1.4 and 1.5 "cursive calligraphy" nibs for $25 in either #5 and #6 if you like that brand of nibs.

what this guy said