PDA

View Full Version : Metro Chicago Meet Ups Anyone?

TerraNoir
March 2nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
I was wondering if people might be interested in meeting up closer to the Chicago area and enjoy some coffee and pens. With awesome company and such? I know of a few places that are train and bus accessible that are open to groups meeting there and having a great time. Some even have board games!

Just throwing my hat out there.

SteveE
March 4th, 2015, 01:46 PM
There is a Chicago Pen Club that meets monthly out in Hillside. The meetings are on a Sunday afternoon, IIRC around 2 PM. I went to a couple of meetings several years ago but haven't been able to lately as the location is about 25 miles from my home, and the timing is difficult for me.

I think Roger W. is the point man for the group.

Now, if we could gather a group to meet in a near northwestern suburb on a weekday evening, it might get my vote.

Misfit
March 4th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Hi TerraNoir, I hope you keep trying to get a Chicago city club. My brother lives in Chicago. Given the size of your city, Chicago could easily support 2 pen clubs (assuming there is only the one meeting in Hillside).

I'm trying to get my brother interested in a club of some kind. With no car, he can't get out to Hillside, but a pen club would be good for him.

The hard part of getting a pen club going is how to find members. But if you do get a pen club that meets in the city, please post about it. From what my brother said, I'd suggest making a few topics (like politics) off limit. Good luck!

Misfit
March 4th, 2015, 08:22 PM
TerraNoir, where is the meeting spot with board games? I think I piqued my brother's interest when I told him about your post. Since he has to take mass transit, here is the "area" he would meet at: Downtown. Meaning anything south of North, east of Halstead, north of Congress, and west of the lake.

So I'm guessing that leaves a lot open. I visit him in Chicago but I live in Missouri.

TerraNoir
March 5th, 2015, 07:30 PM
There is a Chicago Pen Club that meets monthly out in Hillside. The meetings are on a Sunday afternoon, IIRC around 2 PM. I went to a couple of meetings several years ago but haven't been able to lately as the location is about 25 miles from my home, and the timing is difficult for me.

I think Roger W. is the point man for the group.

Now, if we could gather a group to meet in a near northwestern suburb on a weekday evening, it might get my vote.

I know!! Haha! I was at the last meeting. They are super fun guys to hang out with. I was just seeing if there was anyone in the Metro area that wanted to hang out. Since Hillside is not mass transit friendly in any way unless there is some coordination involved.

TerraNoir
March 5th, 2015, 07:33 PM
TerraNoir, where is the meeting spot with board games? I think I piqued my brother's interest when I told him about your post. Since he has to take mass transit, here is the "area" he would meet at: Downtown. Meaning anything south of North, east of Halstead, north of Congress, and west of the lake.

So I'm guessing that leaves a lot open. I visit him in Chicago but I live in Missouri.

Haha! That's cool!! I will have to think of a place close by to that area. There is a few local eateries that allow Scrabble but it's a bit more North of Congress, but right off the Brown Line. Then there is Molly's as well. I would have the explore that area a little and see what I find.

Laura N
March 5th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I'm in the northern suburbs, but my nights and weekends are pretty full. I would love to do a meet-up, but downtown is no better than Hillside for me, at least this time of the year. But they are super fun and you should do one. Maybe by the summer I'll have more free time, because I'd love to go to one.

And maybe we can all arrange to meet up at the pen show? It's usually the first weekend of May. It's amazing to look outside and thing that in two short months it won't be 13 degrees outside and the pen show will be here.

Playtime
March 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Mr. Wooten is indeed the point man for the Chicago Pen Club - and now for the Chicago Pen Show as well. Will be at a different venue, though not far from the original one. In fact, the new venue is closer to Rosemont's shopping and restaurant "district".

Perhaps a gathering at the show to organize future meetings with Mr. Wooten?

J

EDIT: here's a link to the newly updated website for the Chicago Pen Show: http://www.chicagopenshow.com/schedule.html

TerraNoir
March 5th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I'm in the northern suburbs, but my nights and weekends are pretty full. I would love to do a meet-up, but downtown is no better than Hillside for me, at least this time of the year. But they are super fun and you should do one. Maybe by the summer I'll have more free time, because I'd love to go to one.

And maybe we can all arrange to meet up at the pen show? It's usually the first weekend of May. It's amazing to look outside and thing that in two short months it won't be 13 degrees outside and the pen show will be here.

Maybe a day at the Botanical Gardens might be a good idea. I usually go there at least once a year. It would also be pretty awesome to organize a little get together at the Pen Show as well!

SteveE
March 6th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Last year's show was open to "the public" on both Saturday and Sunday. Is that no longer the case? The Schedule page only shows General Admission on Sunday, yet the Prices page shows both days.

TerraNoir
March 6th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Not too sure. I am sure that Roger will clear all that up.

Misfit
March 8th, 2015, 03:23 AM
My brother used to live north of downtown. Now his place is west of downtown near Humboldt Park. I'm not familiar enough with Chicago to know the area he outlined in the earlier post I wrote.

I hope this works out and you get another club going, whether my brother joins up or not.

I kind of want to go to pen club meetings. I need to follow up on the ones (I think there are two) I know of in Kansas City, MO.

TerraNoir
March 8th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I'm quite familiar with that area for sure. There are a few good places in that area too. Just depends on the location he might be interested in. Does he have friends that are into fountain pens too? I have been checking out the local stores, and making my final trip to Century Pens soon.

I don't know if I could form a club on my own. Sadly. That might start another rivalry that the city doesn't need. Haha! We already have one, and it's about to start. ( White Sox Vs. Cubs ). I just want to organize some get togethers for people who might not be able to make the hike to the club meetings.

And I hope you do get to a pen club meeting in your area, Misfit. They are so much fun!

Misfit
March 9th, 2015, 04:31 AM
I can understand your concern. Still, with a city the size of Chicago, I would think it could support several groups meeting in different areas.

Im not sure if he does have any fountain pen friends. I don't. I have 3 Pilot Varsity FP for Christmas 2 years ago. None of them has given feedback.

TerraNoir
March 9th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Well if the demand comes to where a second pen club would be needed. Perhaps I will venture out to make one. Until then, it still seems pretty sparse. The FP Geek community in Chicago are still very much so in hiding.

For your brother, perhaps you should lure him here and have him make a few friends. I know that we are planning a little get together after the Chicago Pen Show. I will have a better idea next week or so. Once I have a full handle on the details on the Chicago Pen Show.

Laura N
March 9th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Well if the demand comes to where a second pen club would be needed. Perhaps I will venture out to make one. Until then, it still seems pretty sparse. The FP Geek community in Chicago are still very much so in hiding.

For your brother, perhaps you should lure him here and have him make a few friends. I know that we are planning a little get together after the Chicago Pen Show. I will have a better idea next week or so. Once I have a full handle on the details on the Chicago Pen Show.

You go! I'm right here with you. Maybe, slightly behind, and off to the left. :) But cheering you on as you lead the charge. :)

FPG Meetup at the Chicago Pen Show: let's do it. :bump:

dgator
March 9th, 2015, 08:31 AM

I'm in the northern suburbs also. A meet-up sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to May's Chicago show. Downtown is a better option than Hillside, but still a hike.

SteveE
March 9th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I could vote for northern or northwestern suburbs. I attended the Chicago Pen Club meetings when they were held up north, but the move to Hillside (along with the mid-afternoon Sunday time slot) put an end to it for me.

I'm still planning my visit time for the show this year - may have some partial time conflicts at home this year.

TerraNoir
March 9th, 2015, 07:27 PM

You go! I'm right here with you. Maybe, slightly behind, and off to the left. :) But cheering you on as you lead the charge. :)

FPG Meetup at the Chicago Pen Show: let's do it. :bump:

D'awwwwwww. :hug: Why thank you for the vote of support. We shall see how it goes.

And I agree FPG Meet up at the Chicago Pen Show is definitely a must! I'm still a wee bit confused on the weekend schedule. Because it says General Admission on Sunday only. BUT! There are both Saturday and Sunday rates. So more from me on Monday for sure.

TerraNoir
March 9th, 2015, 07:31 PM

I'm in the northern suburbs also. A meet-up sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to May's Chicago show. Downtown is a better option than Hillside, but still a hike.

It sounds like the Northern suburbs might be a better bet. I am only familiar with a handful of them. Since all I know are all of the ones you drive through to get to Wisconsin. A little bit of a heading might make it a little bit easier. I don't mind traveling about. Especially to meet fellow FP Geeks! That's always a blast. Though I am bouncing around some ideas for a Downtown meet. Haha! I have a rather default one, but that can be quite hilarious and embarrassing at the same time. Right now...Fountain pens and cheesecake sounds good. Isn't there a Cheesecake Factory in the northern burbs?

TerraNoir
March 9th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Okay... I hope I am not being annoying. But I just wanted to update that perhaps there can be two meet ups scheduled for May and June perhaps?

One tentatively in May for the Chicago Botanical Gardens, and the second at Revolution Brewery in June? Ideas, thoughts? Love it, hate it? I will query about the Chicago Pen Club meetings for these months so that there are no schedule conflicts. More details to be ironed out.

tonian
March 9th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Hi all:

Is Century Pens closing? Are there any pen stores left in Chicago? I would to meet up in the northern burbs anytime!

TerraNoir
March 10th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Hi all:

Is Century Pens closing? Are there any pen stores left in Chicago? I would to meet up in the northern burbs anytime!

Funny you mention that...I hope to figure that out soon. For stores located IN Chicago... Just a couple. There is Gilbertson's, and Levenger in the downtown area. Then there is Goode's of Evanston. Lastly, there is Pen Paradise in Oak Park? I just visited the store recently.

Any suggestions onto a place that might be good for a meet up in the Northern suburbs would be fantastic!

SteveE
March 11th, 2015, 08:45 AM
There are Cheesecake Factory restaurants in the Old Orchard mall, in Skokie, and in the Woodfield mall, in Schaumburg.

As for pen stores, there is also Executive Essentials, in (IIRC) Arlington Heights. This store is actually inside the Irv's Luggage Outlet, on Busse Road. Not a large selection, mostly at full retail, but they do have some sale items and some inks.

The Levenger shop in Chicago is actually located inside the main Macy's store on State Street.

As for Century Pens, I hadn't heard anything of their closing. In fact, I thought I remembered seeing them named as one of the sponsors of the Chicago Pen Show, on the show web site.

There is also a Paradise Pen store in the Oak Brook mall, out west of the city. Another chain that sells mostly at full retail.

There also used to be an office supply store in Elmhurst that sold some pens, but I've never been there. (It may still be there.)

For a major city, Chicago seems to be almost a "pen desert."

If I'm looking for anything less than retail, outside of web merchants, I usually either drive to Indianapolis (Avalon Pens) or Milwaukee (Daly's Pen Shop). Usual disclaimers apply - I have no business connection with either of the shops. Just a customer.

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Old Orchard is a good idea, since it's near the freeway. They have a lot of restaurants, too. And perhaps a Barnes and Noble with a cafe, though I'm not sure.

By the way, I'm helping Terra Noir organize, primarily by collecting emails. So if anyone is interested in future meetings, either at the pen show or in the northern suburbs, and I don't already have your email, please PM me with an email address, and I'll send you mine, too.

A visit to Milwaukee this summer sounds fun. :)

-Laura

dgator
March 11th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Old Orchard is a good idea, since it's near the freeway. They have a lot of restaurants, too. And perhaps a Barnes and Noble with a cafe, though I'm not sure.

By the way, I'm helping Terra Noir organize, primarily by collecting emails. So if anyone is interested in future meetings, either at the pen show or in the northern suburbs, and I don't already have your email, please PM me with an email address, and I'll send you mine, too.

A visit to Milwaukee this summer sounds fun. :)

-Laura
Old Orchard is perfect. [emoji3]

TerraNoir
March 11th, 2015, 07:45 PM
There are Cheesecake Factory restaurants in the Old Orchard mall, in Skokie, and in the Woodfield mall, in Schaumburg.

As for pen stores, there is also Executive Essentials, in (IIRC) Arlington Heights. This store is actually inside the Irv's Luggage Outlet, on Busse Road. Not a large selection, mostly at full retail, but they do have some sale items and some inks.

The Levenger shop in Chicago is actually located inside the main Macy's store on State Street.

As for Century Pens, I hadn't heard anything of their closing. In fact, I thought I remembered seeing them named as one of the sponsors of the Chicago Pen Show, on the show web site.

There is also a Paradise Pen store in the Oak Brook mall, out west of the city. Another chain that sells mostly at full retail.

There also used to be an office supply store in Elmhurst that sold some pens, but I've never been there. (It may still be there.)

For a major city, Chicago seems to be almost a "pen desert."

If I'm looking for anything less than retail, outside of web merchants, I usually either drive to Indianapolis (Avalon Pens) or Milwaukee (Daly's Pen Shop). Usual disclaimers apply - I have no business connection with either of the shops. Just a customer.

Why thank you for giving expanding on my reply. I ordered from Irv's Luggage Outlet through a recommendation from Retro 51. That's pretty funny.

I think a field trip to Milwaukee would be pretty awesome. I guess I'm a sucker for gluttony...but I do seem to pay retail...often Haha!

As Laura N, said, if anyone wishes to give her your information that would be fantastic. It sounds like Cheesecake Factory is a good idea after all? Anyone has any suggestions on dates. I'm pretty open. A little meet and greet before the Chicago Pen Show so we all know what each other look like. I wonder how many of us walked past each other and didn't know last year.

SteveE
March 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Check your inbox, Laura. I've PM'd you my email address so you can add me to the Chicago area list.

Thanks!

Misfit
March 12th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Just wanted to let you Chicago area pen geeks know that Gilbertson-Clybourn closed.

My brother visited there and got one of the last Visconti fountain pens when Dan told him the store was closing.

TerraNoir
March 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Just wanted to let you Chicago area pen geeks know that Gilbertson-Clybourn closed.

My brother visited there and got one of the last Visconti fountain pens when Dan told him the store was closing.

Really?! I guess they are in the process of closing. I walked by there on Tuesday, and the lights were still on. That kinda...sucks.

Dancingfountain
March 15th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Glad to know as our next move may be to Chicago there is such a fun community! Will reach out if get there!

TerraNoir
March 15th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Last year's show was open to "the public" on both Saturday and Sunday. Is that no longer the case? The Schedule page only shows General Admission on Sunday, yet the Prices page shows both days.

I come with news!! It is General admission for both Saturday and Sunday! Spread the word!!!

TerraNoir
March 15th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Glad to know as our next move may be to Chicago there is such a fun community! Will reach out if get there!

Yep!! There are some really fun and friendly people here. You will be welcomed warmly for sure.

penhappy
March 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Hoping for a meeting location in the northern burbs. Please post a time and location when decided. Add me to the list of interested pen geeks.

TerraNoir
March 16th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Hoping for a meeting location in the northern burbs. Please post a time and location when decided. Add me to the list of interested pen geeks.

Well currently looking for dates that appeal to people. I would hate to set things up and get the normal "Well...I have plans." Or "If it was only at this time." We do have a suggestion on going to Old Orchard, and perhaps a couple of trips to some "local" pen shops in WI and IN.

For the Pen Show, does anyone know what days they are going?? Perhaps we can all meet up at the Anderson's table and go from there?

Laura N
March 16th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I'll throw in my vote for the pen show: I prefer Saturday and will be there then for sure. Sundays have been a little dead in the past, with vendors packing up early and some already gone.

Also I've been collecting emails, and giving out mine, so that gives everyone a contact method if people arrive later. Again, anyone interested may want to PM me with an email, to stay in the loop, and just in case.

dgator
March 16th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I'll throw in my vote for the pen show: I prefer Saturday and will be there then for sure. Sundays have been a little dead in the past, with vendors packing up early and some already gone.

Also I've been collecting emails, and giving out mine, so that gives everyone a contact method if people arrive later. Again, anyone interested may want to PM me with an email, to stay in the loop, and just in case.
+1 for Saturday

camerlos6120
March 16th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Hi, I am also going to the Chicago Pen show and interested in the meet up. Please keep me updated. Thanks

TerraNoir
March 17th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Well it seems like Saturday is the day. I should be over there as soon as the doors are to open. Does anyone have a specific time they want to meet up?

SteveE
March 17th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I usually get there before they open, so opening time on Saturday is good for me. I'll have to get used to the new venue, though. I had been going to the shows at The Westin since 2000 or 2001.

I don't post selfies, so you'll have to guess who I am, though.

Laura N
March 17th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I usually get there before they open, so opening time on Saturday is good for me. I'll have to get used to the new venue, though. I had been going to the shows at The Westin since 2000 or 2001.

I don't post selfies, so you'll have to guess who I am, though.

Good man. I don't post selfies either. And you all are lucky there. :)

But I probably won't get there that early. Maybe we can wear name tags, as Steve suggested, or we can name a meeting spot for, say, 10, or 11, or a time everyone will be there. Or wear funny hats. :)

Or if we have an Old Orchard meeting next month, we'd already know each other.

TerraNoir
March 17th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Maybe at 10/11 at the Anderson's table? I'm pretty recognizable I would like to think. I can always go for the Sons of Anarchy extra look again.

For Old Orchard...with Easter coming up the first weekend in April. How about the second weekend? Any preferences on Saturday/Sunday and time?

SteveE
March 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I'd be up for meeting at the Anderson's table. I always stop there anyway, so just name the time.

As for Old Orchard, morning or mid-day could work. So far, either day works the weekend after Easter.

Laura N
March 19th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Saturday or Sunday would work for me, with Sunday being better. I like the idea of morning, especially on Saturdays. Most things in the mall open at 10, right?

Also, just be make sure, we're talking about April 11 or 12, right?

dgator
March 19th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe at 10/11 at the Anderson's table? I'm pretty recognizable I would like to think. I can always go for the Sons of Anarchy extra look again.

For Old Orchard...with Easter coming up the first weekend in April. How about the second weekend? Any preferences on Saturday/Sunday and time?
Old Orchard the Sunday after Easter (4/12) noonish works for me.

SteveE
March 20th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Old Orchard the Sunday after Easter (4/12) noonish works for me.

Sunday the 12th looks good for me, so far. . .

TerraNoir
March 21st, 2015, 10:30 AM
Sunday 4/12 at noon works for me as well!

Laura N
March 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM
Excellent, now we just need to settle on a spot for it. :cheer2:

TerraNoir
March 21st, 2015, 10:45 AM
I totally agree! It's been a long time since I have been there. So open for suggestions!

penhappy
March 21st, 2015, 06:20 PM
Sunday April 12 at noon works for me too!
Looking forward to it.

Greenfire
March 22nd, 2015, 04:41 AM
when is the Chicago Pen Show?:confused:

dgator
March 22nd, 2015, 09:57 AM
when is the Chicago Pen Show?:confused:
http://www.chicagopenshow.com/schedule.html

April 30 thru May 3rd

TerraNoir
March 26th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Have we decided at what location we are all meeting up at in April? Cheesecake?

Laura N
March 26th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Looking at the mall directory online, there appears to be:

The Cheesecake Factory
The Bagel
California Pizza Kitchen
Corner Bakery Cafe
Maggiano's
Noodles & Company
Potbelly
Starbucks
Seattle's Best Coffee (inside Macy's)
Uncle Julio's

There are some other possibilities, but these seem best. If we're going to be a small group, there's a Nordstrom Cafe that's pretty good (the one that serves food, not the one that serves coffee); the table situation may not work for a larger group, though.

I have never been inside any of these others at Old Orchard, except Starbucks and Maggiano's but years ago. So I defer to those who know these spots better. Or I can try to check them out over the next week or so, if we're all agnostic.

SteveE
March 26th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I know a few of them.

The Cheesecake Factory is big and noisy. They seem to never use their first floor area - not sure what the deal is for that. They have some moderately-sized tables in the back of the dining room, and they also have a private room back there on the 2nd floor, too. I'm not sure, but I'd bet that they charge for use of the private room.

California Pizza Kitchen is near Cheesecake Factory. It is not as noisy, but I don't remember many tables designed for more than 4 diners.

The Corner Bakery is on the Golf Road side of the mall. It is informal - cafeteria style. Lots of tables, might be able to move some together for a large group. Also might be able to "borrow" chairs from other tables, too. Food is primarily sandwiches, Panini, pasta and pastries. Good coffee with free refills.

Maggiano's is the big brother of Corner Bakery. Used to be owned by same company, but I think both were split off and sold some years ago. A nice Italian style restaurant. They have some tables for larger groups, but would probably want people to order meals. They also have private rooms, but I know for sure that there is a charge for them.

Potbelly Sandwich Works is very informal. No large tables, but they might let us move a couple around. Menu is pretty much just soups and sandwiches, but they are pretty good.

Starbuck's is tiny. If there are more than 4 of us, probably nowhere to sit.

Also, across Skokie Boulevard, in the mall just to the East, there is a Panera Bread Company. IIRC, it is larger, but might be busy, too.

I haven't been in the Nordstrom's café, but based on what I've heard, I'd be willing to try them, too.

Laura N
March 26th, 2015, 01:24 PM
It sounds like we have a lot of great choices. But thinking aloud, since we're meeting at noon on a Saturday, chances are some of the restaurants at Old Orchard might be fairly busy at that time. So it makes sense to pick one that either takes reservations or has flexible size tables and a friendly manager. :)

I like the Nordstrom cafe, and it is good, not too busy, and very large, but I remember booths rather than tables. I think one or more of us needs to check these out with the size of the group in mind. I might be able to visit Old Orchard in the next couple of days and wander around.

There is also a Barnes & Noble, and those usually have cafes, but I've never been in this one.

SteveE
March 27th, 2015, 09:43 AM
The café in that particular Barnes & Noble isn't very large. Of course, so far I do not know how many people we expect.

I've been to Old Orchard many times, but doubt that I'll be up that way this weekend.

TerraNoir
March 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
The Nordstrom Cafe sounds good. I will just grab a slice of cheesecake on my way out. Haha! I might get a little lost. Though I honestly think it will be a small group of us.

penhappy
March 28th, 2015, 12:07 PM
The Cafe sounds good. Are we talking about meeting on Saturday, April 11 or Sunday, April 12?

dgator
March 28th, 2015, 12:12 PM
The Cafe sounds good. Are we talking about meeting on Saturday, April 11 or Sunday, April 12?
I think we are planning to meet Sunday 4/12, correct?

Laura N
March 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Before we settle finally on the Nordstrom Cafe, though, I hope I or someone else can just recheck it. It's great for a lot of reasons, including that it's not that busy, and it's large, and they don't really hassle you. We will have to order food, but I remember a variety ranging from desserts to sandwiches to a meal. I'm just not sure they have tables, perhaps only booths. Now, some of the booths are larger. And so far I've got emails for four of us -- me, Terra, dgator and Steve. So that could be perfect. I just don't have time today to get there and look more closely or snap any photos. It's near the purses and children's shoe sections, if anyone else is going to be in the area.

Penhappy, can you PM me with your info, especially your email? I'll send you mine. At a certain point it might be easier to hash this out by email, and to be able to reach people without having to log in to the forum.

Laura N
March 28th, 2015, 12:21 PM
I think we are planning to meet Sunday 4/12, correct?

I definitely prefer that; if I misspoke and confused anyone, sorry!

Laura N
March 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM
So I went to Old Orchard and poked around a bit.

The Cafe at Nordstrom only has booths and few small tables, but it doesn't look like one could push the tables together. If the weather is nice, however, there is a small patio with a few tables for four that looked promising if the weather is good. It was super busy today at lunch, due to spring break. People were waiting for tables. Someone might have to get there early and wait for on the larger booths, which I think could fit six if we are comfortable squeezing in. Or perhaps we could move the time a little earlier. Their "Ebar" coffee shop is too small to count on for Sunday, with only seven tables.

Potbelly was less busy today, and had one very large table that would be great, if we could snag it. There were also some outdoor tables that weren't in use yet.

The Seattle's Best Coffee inside Macy's was a cart with no seating, so that's out.

I did reconfirm that Frontera Fresco is too small -- that place is so tiny and so busy I can't even eat there with a group of three. :)

I didn't have time to get to any of the others yet.

ETA: so far there are five of us going. I'm very much looking forward to it. :)

TerraNoir
March 30th, 2015, 04:44 PM
I'm always early. So if trying to grab the huge table at Potbelly is the plan we can try to do that. If not the booths are decent right? I love their PB & J.

Roger W.
March 31st, 2015, 03:32 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread. The Chicago Pen Club has tried to meet more towards the city but, it hasn't really ever worked out (finding a place to meet is HARD) so we meet in Hillside third Sunday of the month or March 15th this month (2PM, 1 Lind Ave.). It is a loose organization that I organize. If someone else wants to organize something else at a different location that is cool by me. Meeting at an eatery can be OK though I don't prefer it as to the noise and other people traffic. If you can make it out to Hillside on the 15th of this month (April 19th would be the next one) we'd love to see you there and it is the last meeting before the Chicago Pen Show of which I am one of the organizers. If Hillside is too far for you I'd love to make it in for the April 12th meeting because I'm flexible (I live just East of Rockford so anything takes me over an hour).

Roger W.

KrazyIvan
March 31st, 2015, 03:37 PM
I'm going to be in the area but leave for home just in time to miss the meet. :(

Laura N
March 31st, 2015, 04:10 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread. The Chicago Pen Club has tried to meet more towards the city but, it hasn't really ever worked out (finding a place to meet is HARD) so we meet in Hillside third Sunday of the month or March 15th this month (2PM, 1 Lind Ave.). It is a loose organization that I organize. If someone else wants to organize something else at a different location that is cool by me. Meeting at an eatery can be OK though I don't prefer it as to the noise and other people traffic. If you can make it out to Hillside on the 15th of this month (April 19th would be the next one) we'd love to see you there and it is the last meeting before the Chicago Pen Show of which I am one of the organizers. If Hillside is too far for you I'd love to make it in for the April 12th meeting because I'm flexible (I live just East of Rockford so anything takes me over an hour).

Roger W.

I think all of us started this because it's a little hard for many of us to get to Hillside on Sundays. :( As much as we'd love to be there. Maybe those of us more north could organize a carpool. :)

But we also are planning a meetup at the pen show, and it sounds like you will be there for sure. I think our plans were to meet at the pen show on Saturday, at 10 or 11, at the Anderson's table. Can we coordinate and meet you there? And maybe get a larger group going? Including the Hillside folks? I'm going to send you a PM with my contact information.

Laura N
April 1st, 2015, 10:30 AM
With Roger W, it looks like we now have six planning to be at our meeting at Old Orchard on Sunday, April 12 at noon.

TerraNoir, SteveE, dgator, penhappy, me and Roger.

Do we want to make plans as if there will be six? Do we want to choose one of the restaurants that will allow us to take a reservation, or trust to our table-snagging luck at Potbelly or Nordstrom Cafe? If we do the latter, Potbelly is bigger.

I will try to look at a few more options at Old Orchard as well.

SteveE
April 1st, 2015, 12:11 PM
Laura, Unless we plan to go to one of the more upmarket restaurants at Old Orchard (like Maggiano's, or McCormick & Schmick's), I can't think of any that accept reservations. My guess would be that we would have the best luck just "occupying" a table or tables at either Potbelly or Corner Bakery.

So far, I'm still on track to attend - but I won't be sure until I'm there parking the car. . .

TerraNoir
April 1st, 2015, 09:16 PM
Well it would be seven with the ever silent opie here on the forum... Aka my husband. And either option is good for me. We are usually super early when it comes to these things or precisely on time.

Laura N
April 2nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
I am very excited: lucky seven is even better!

Corner Bakery or Potbelly would both be good with me.

Laura N
April 4th, 2015, 10:43 AM
And we are back to six. Penhappy is going to be out of town next Sunday, but will meet up with us at the pen show.

TerraNoir
April 4th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Awwwwe. That's unfortunate. Well! Til the Pen Show, penhappy!

Laura N
April 7th, 2015, 04:07 PM
So, I think we're looking forward to seeing each other at Potbelly in Old Orchard at noon this Sunday, April 12.

We'll be the people with fountain pens!

Terra Noir and her husband will try to snag a table for six. I will send an email later this week with my cellphone number, in case it's crowded and we're hard to find.

Roger W.
April 7th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Might en they grab one for eight in case somebody else shows up? Also a little extra space would not be a bad thing.

Roger W.

SteveE
April 8th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Are you making a sign? Wearing pens in the band of your hat? What's the secret sign?

So far, I'm planning on being there, and might bring a couple of things for "show and tell."

TerraNoir
April 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM
We can make a little sign. I think I might be restricted to traveling on two wheels. So perhaps even looking as we did at the first pen show! I will try my very best to get the tables for our group.

Laura N
April 8th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I'm definitely going to be there and also will try to get there a little early. I'll bring a few things. I guess we should look for the folks at a large table or tables, with a pen case. :)

Roger W.
April 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I plan to go table to table asking "Pen people?". I'll be wearing my cowboy hat per usual so you'll know me anyhow.

Roger W.

Laura N
April 8th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I plan to go table to table asking "Pen people?".

Roger W.

I do that everywhere anyway. :)

SteveE
April 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Roger - We have met, but it was some years ago, and I'd still remember the hat. How long ago did you host some meetings at Joseph Electronics?

lowjax
April 9th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Hope you all have fun. I've thought about driving down for it, but a bit too far on Sunday afternoon.

Linkdeath
April 9th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Yay! My account finally works, so I can finally say I've been following this thread with great interest, being new to the pfm scene, but very interested in meeting others! I don't think I can make it this weekend, but I am VERY interested in meeting up at the pen show, especially since it will be my first!

Roger W.
April 9th, 2015, 11:00 PM
I don't remember a Josephs Electronics unless that is a related name for Studio North. That would have been 10-15 years ago. Then again there were some one offs. We first met (when Len organized the first one) at a Borders I think in North Brook. I almost missed it entirely as they changed the time to earlier and I missed the memo. I switched to a cowboy hat from a fedora in 1993.

Roger W.

TerraNoir
April 10th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Yay! My account finally works, so I can finally say I've been following this thread with great interest, being new to the pfm scene, but very interested in meeting others! I don't think I can make it this weekend, but I am VERY interested in meeting up at the pen show, especially since it will be my first!

Welcome to the fun. We were doing this little meet up so we knew what each other looked like before the Chicago Pen Show that's coming up. Are you attending?? I believe our plan is to meet up at the Anderson's table on Saturday. It would be delightful to see you there!

TerraNoir
April 10th, 2015, 06:27 AM
I don't remember a Josephs Electronics unless that is a related name for Studio North. That would have been 10-15 years ago. Then again there were some one offs. We first met (when Len organized the first one) at a Borders I think in North Brook. I almost missed it entirely as they changed the time to earlier and I missed the memo. I switched to a cowboy hat from a fedora in 1993.

Roger W.

And why the switch from a cowboy hat to a fedora? Now I feel almost obligated to wear one now. Though your cowboy hat is pretty awesome.

Roger W.
April 10th, 2015, 01:46 PM
a few reasons for the switch. I always wore the boots even when I was a kid and I was getting my boots then from a western store that had the clothes and hats of course. I also got divorced that year so I was going through some things. I like the wide brim you can only get from a cowboy hat.

Roger W.

SteveE
April 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Roger - IIRC, someone from the Chicago Pen Club was either affiliated with or on the board of Joseph Electronics, and was able to use a conference room at their headquarters at Howard Street and Caldwell Avenue, in Niles. I think maybe you and I even talked about a DuoFold Junior you had recently gotten. Maybe I have things mixed up - just thinking about what car I was driving at the time puts the date around 12-14 years ago.

Prior to that, I attended a couple of meetings at Len's office. I remember that his office felt more like a museum than some museums I'd visited. I even met Susan Wirth at one of the meetings at Len's place.

At any rate, let's plan to definitely meet on Sunday. Then the history will be just that.

I plan to bring a few pens with me - variations on how others "see" the DuoFold Senior. I won't be carrying the big cases - that would make me look (and feel) like a geek.

Roger W.
April 11th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Steve;

We met a Don's office early on and he had a lot of great desk bases. It was a great atmosphere but became too small quickly. We never met a Len's office as that was in his house in Long Grove. I do remember now Joseph's Electronics as we met there briefly. Then Studio North which had a great conference room. After that we had a hard time finding space. We met in the back room of a restaurant for a bit which wasn't bad and is where we were when the pics of the Parkers was taken in the thread on Pen Board recently. Hillside has been a steady location ever since though I've tried to throw in different locations with little success. If we could ever get back to 20-25 regulars I think we could attract some of the bigger dealers to show up.

I have envisioned for years the Chicago Pen Club being a two hub club with the second location being Old Orchardish (hence trying Skokie Library). So maybe the Pen Geek interest can make this finally happen. The Chicago Pen Club has never had a structure beyond Len or myself arranging meetings.

Roger W.

lowjax
April 14th, 2015, 11:24 AM
How was the meet-up? Any fun pens exchanged? Any pictures?

Laura N
April 14th, 2015, 11:50 AM
It was great. We looked at a small part of Roger's amazing Sheaffer collection, plus one Parker that is the pen to rule them all. And the rest of us passed around pens, too. Vintage and modern. I got to see TerraNoir's Pelikan Cafe Creme, which I loved. TerraNoir tried my vintage Pelikan OBB. Steve had a really neat Duofold-centered collection, authentic and homage. David and I enthused over everything. And we all saw a sneak peak of photos of some of the pens and ephemera that will be auctioned at the Pen Show. Did Dan send anyone that link? I'd love to see it!

Mostly we laughed a lot.

You'll have to come to our next one. It was fun!

TerraNoir
April 14th, 2015, 06:15 PM
It was great. We looked at a small part of Roger's amazing Sheaffer collection, plus one Parker that is the pen to rule them all. And the rest of us passed around pens, too. Vintage and modern. I got to see TerraNoir's Pelikan Cafe Creme, which I loved. TerraNoir tried my vintage Pelikan OBB. Steve had a really neat Duofold-centered collection, authentic and homage. David and I enthused over everything. And we all saw a sneak peak of photos of some of the pens and ephemera that will be auctioned at the Pen Show. Did Dan send anyone that link? I'd love to see it!

Mostly we laughed a lot.

You'll have to come to our next one. It was fun!

It was a blast. I think we were having too much fun to take photos. I really loved Laura's vintage Pelikan with that awesome OBB! I haven't gotten a link yet. Pretty stoked.

lowjax
April 14th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Sounds great! Look forward to meeting some of you at the Chicago Pen show.

SteveE
April 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I agree - fun is an understatement! We just might have to make this a regular event, at least a few times a year. We may even qualify to become a satellite of Roger's Chicago Pen Club.

It was great to meet everyone, and I think it would be great fun to simply get to know each other a bit better. I'd like to know what your focus is in pens, inks, etc., as well as any tricks or techniques you've found useful in anything pen-related (handwriting, calligraphy, repairs, pen hacks, ink mixes. . . all of it).

We must have had too much fun - everyone has cell phone cameras, and the only one who took any pictures was Don (and I'm sure that with THAT camera, they are great shots).

Jon Szanto
April 15th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Mostly we laughed a lot.

It was a blast. I think we were having too much fun to take photos.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/data/photos/l/20/20951-1370531476-88c7ce21c4539100b150f752c3ad9f0c.jpg