PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Mabie Todd?

jagarpether
March 3rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
Hi.
I got this pen for about $8 of an auction at Tradera (swedish eBay)

I have tried to find som information about the pen without any luck.
The thing i have found out is that the swan symbol should be the logo for Mabie Todd. Is that correct?
The modell is a Standard Pen and is a piston filler with a nr. 4 Ero 14k F nib with some flex.

Does anyone know something about this pen modell?

Best regards Pether Olsson

Deb
March 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
That's a bit of a mystery. The floating Swan in a circle is a version of the traditional Mabie Todd Swan logo. However, the Mabie Todd company that finally closed in 1956 didn't make that pen. I believe there has been a "Mabie Todd" company producing fairly inferior quality pens in recent years and perhaps this is an example of their output.

The ERO nib was made by a German company, if I remember correctly.

Cob
March 3rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
That's a bit of a mystery. The floating Swan in a circle is a version of the traditional Mabie Todd Swan logo. However, the Mabie Todd company that finally closed in 1956 didn't make that pen. I believe there has been a "Mabie Todd" company producing fairly inferior quality pens in recent years and perhaps this is an example of their output.

The ERO nib was made by a German company, if I remember correctly.

Yes Deb

As a dyed-in-the-wool Mabie Todd lover I was pretty peeved when I saw those ersatz Mabie Todds appearing - "Judds" is it? Shame on them!

However in this case, as I have remarked elsewhere, the OP has done very well to get that nib in what is probably a reliable pen for $8!

Cob

jagarpether
March 3rd, 2015, 11:41 AM
Yes Deb

As a dyed-in-the-wool Mabie Todd lover I was pretty peeved when I saw those ersatz Mabie Todds appearing - "Judds" is it? Shame on them!

However in this case, as I have remarked elsewhere, the OP has done very well to get that nib in what is probably a reliable pen for $8!

Cob

I was hoping for a Mabie Todd pen, but the pictures on the auction was pretty bad, but i got lucky with the nib. And that price was with the shipping included.

And thanks for the great reply's to my post!

/Pether

HughC
March 4th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I seem to have read that while MT finished in UK in the mid-50's that wasn't the complete end for MT as production continued in India for some time, I'm unsure if it was a licensing arrangement or the company simply moving what was left off shore. All this with a few ??. Still this doesn't look MT in any guise but rather an Ero as the nib suggests, I'm not sure about the Swan logo though, but the style is consistent with their pens. Ero was the successor to Reform, you often see them on ebay.

Regards
Hugh

jagarpether
March 4th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I seem to have read that while MT finished in UK in the mid-50's that wasn't the complete end for MT as production continued in India for some time, I'm unsure if it was a licensing arrangement or the company simply moving what was left off shore. All this with a few ??. Still this doesn't look MT in any guise but rather an Ero as the nib suggests, I'm not sure about the Swan logo though, but the style is consistent with their pens. Ero was the successor to Reform, you often see them on ebay.

Regards
Hugh

Hi.
I googled a little for Ero fountain pen, and it looks very similar to those pens. I also found a pen with the same symbol (see image) and that pen was sold as a Ero pen.
http://img.tradera.net/images/819/199671819_26f20c81-40e5-4859-b9fd-8411f26225cc.jpg
Thanks for the help!