PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone on here limit there collection by size?

top pen
March 3rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
This thread follows on from a thread I posted back in September (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8560-Where-Do-You-Intend-To-Go-With-Pen-Collecting). The concept of fixed a size of seems to be fairly uncommon in pen collecting compared to similar hobbies such as watch collecting. On here or on FPN members mainly come across people who seem to lack direction or any goal with pen collecting and just acquire pen after pens willy nilly (nothing wrong with this of course). To be honest I was doing the same until about 6 months ago when I decided to get rid of the pens I didn't use and to try to start refining the jumble of pens I had acquired which I'm still doing however is close to completion. The idea of having a fixed quantity limit on fountain pens seems appealing as if anything it would offer some boundaries and mean that my collection wouldn't become stale and be constantly evolving as my tastes change that acquiring with no particular goal in mind doesn't offer.

So does anyone have limit on there collection size? Or have an explanation why this concept is so infrequently seen?

tandaina
March 3rd, 2015, 04:41 PM
I tried that once and it just didn't work for me.

I think the assumption in your post is that what we all have is a "collection." IE we have a specific focus in what we buy based on brand, era, color, or something. Some people collect spoons from Germany, some people collect dolls from the 1890s, some people collect all the Parker 51 models, etc.

For myself (and I think many here) what I have is *not* a traditional collection. While it may have themes in part, it basically consists of pens that I like to use, simple as that. Ones I don't like get resold or given away, ones I do find a permanent (or semi-permanent) place in the pen cabinet. I once tried to limit it by size but I just found that too constraining, I have lots of pens I like for many different moods and styles and when trying to say things like "20 pens max" I found myself having to get rid of pens I really loved using, which made no sense to me. Some of my pens haven't been in rotation in a year or more. But if they are pens I like to use, eventually they'll be back in rotation.

So... long story short, that sort of focus didn't work for me, any more than the collector style focus. About half my pens *are* in fact German because those pens, from the 40s and 50s, tend to have nibs I like. But another good 1/4 of my pens are Japanese pens with polar *opposite* nibs that I like for entirely different purposes. It's a jumble, but I like it that way. I am at this point sort of limited by space to the pens that fit in my cabinet, but that's a lot of pens so not something I worry about much.

Jon Szanto
March 3rd, 2015, 04:46 PM
I refuse to collect any pens longer than 12 feet in length. There is no minimum size.

AltecGreen
March 3rd, 2015, 05:30 PM
So does anyone have limit on there collection size? Or have an explanation why this concept is so infrequently seen?

The sum total of all fountain pens produced in the whole of human history is a finite number. This is a limit albeit a large one. We are all bound by this limit even if it does grow day by day.

I'm pretty focused in my collecting and many know what my focus is. Based on my focus one can come up with a limit. It is just that the number is quite large although much much less than the sum total of all fountain pens. I'll likely never acquire all of the pens I want thus I will never reach my limit. So in your eyes I might not have a limit but I do. Also, I don't have to use a pen I buy. In fact most of the pens I buy I have no intention of using. This point always confuses a large number of people on FPN and FPGeeks who tend to be more users than collectors.

If you want to get a different perspective on collecting go hang out on the Fountain Pen Board. It is a very different community than FPN and FPGeeks since most are dedicated collectors with very specific areas of focus. For example, some people there like to collect every pen in every variation made by a certain company. Depending on the company, that can be a huge number especially if you include prototype pens and special orders. I would consider that a limit. This idea clashes with the idea that one should own only X number of pens.

In the end, everyone has their own approach to this hobby. There is no right way or wrong way to do it.

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
I think that if you are actually interested in frequently using the pens you own, a set and limited collection can be very hard to have, because you are always wanting to try something new to get a new experience--the hobby as such is experiential, not logical. But it can be both of course, and for some it is.

david i
March 3rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
I hope to cap it at around 10,000.

-d

Dreck
March 3rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
I do. I prefer pens at least 5" in length, and with a section of ~.5" so that limits the size of the pens I buy. I've also set a numerical limit on the number of pens, which is no more than I can reasonably use. I know this sounds flippant and capricious, but it isn't. I own a total of 5 fountain pens; all of various subdued colors in the dimensions mentioned above. Personally, I think 5 pens is 2 or 3 too many, since I have one for grading, one for daily writing, and one for doing fancy (for my meagre abilities) lettering with the 1.1mm stub italic nib.

AltecGreen
March 3rd, 2015, 06:08 PM

-d

You're thinking too small David.

mhosea
March 3rd, 2015, 06:27 PM

-d

He's also lying. ;)

david i
March 3rd, 2015, 07:18 PM

-d

He's also lying. ;)

Nope. I really don't wanna go beyond that number... ;)

-d

Laura N
March 3rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
I refuse to collect any pens longer than 12 feet in length. There is no minimum size.

Hmm, your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

VertOlive
March 3rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
In just my second year of pen collecting, I've noticed that pens come and go as I sell off those that aren't completely pleasing and try other pens. There seems to be a homeostasis at work that keeps the number of pens I own at around two dozen. I didn't select that number, it may be all the pens I can hold in limited brain space at once.

I guess I could say my pens self limit to a pack of 24.

jar
March 3rd, 2015, 08:19 PM
See my signature.

ilangai
March 3rd, 2015, 10:12 PM
I had a similar question few months ago. What I was thinking to myself is that I have too many pens I don't use and I need to stop "just buying more".. So I sold many pens and got to a very pleasant 12 inside a Franklin-Christoph CPT.
But, as I see it now, limiting my pens is not the answer. I will still want to compare different nibs/feeds/capacities/filing systems.. Don't forget about the looks of a pen.
So, I just slowed down my purchase habit.
I'm now already passing 20. Some I use regularly, and some on different occasions, but they all get inked..
When will it stop? I think never.

Bold2013
March 3rd, 2015, 10:32 PM
I'm trying to limit it to 6. However I still have lustful eyes and will probably switch/upgrade 2 of the 6 over the next 6 months.

Quantum Sailor
March 4th, 2015, 12:23 AM
I don't really worry about the number of pens I have. In writing this I just realized I don't actually know how many pens I have...not that the number is too large to count I just haven't.

writingrav
March 4th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I have both a budding collection (Kaweco Sport) and a haphazard accumulation of pens I mostly use and a collection of pens I don't use buy am too lazy to consider selling. I have begun giving those away in acts of penvangelism and I'm enjoying that. I also don't know exactly how many pens I have, but I know the number will grow no matter what I say.

manoeuver
March 4th, 2015, 01:53 PM
swingin pendulum.

jar
March 4th, 2015, 02:40 PM
swingin pendulum.

Is that like a Metro Gnome?

manoeuver
March 4th, 2015, 02:56 PM
swingin pendulum.

Is that like a Metro Gnome?

[stomp]
no, but I'm glad you asked.

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 4th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I have a 40 pen case, but I try to keep my pens down to half of it. So, I suppose my magic number must be 20.

Mainly: too many pens and I won't use them. I want enough pens for variety, but no so many I won't use them. And I need to make sure a good proportion of them are my beloved Noodler's Konrads!

Scrawler
March 5th, 2015, 05:25 PM

The minimum size I will go down to are Mary Jane and Peter Pan.

Scrawler
March 5th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Between these sizes

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/bigandlittle_zpsrvqo3app.jpg

jar
March 6th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Some size pics.

http://www.fototime.com/A208A139EE48EAA/standard.jpg

For the British cousins.

http://www.fototime.com/7720A65DE92CF1D/large.jpg

sgtstretch
March 6th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Jar are those stamps Canadian or Australian? Or am I not even close?

</end off topic>

Scrawler
March 6th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Some size pics.
<snip>

http://www.fototime.com/7720A65DE92CF1D/large.jpg

Many years ago I bought a leather traveling writing folder. It was about 40 years old when I found it behind a lot of stuff in an old east London store. It had rare Edward 8th stamps just like this in the stamp pocket. Sadly they were stolen when my whole stamp collection was taken about 25 years ago. I still have the writing folder, with the original bond paper and blotter.

Scrawler
March 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM

</end off topic>

They are 1936 English stamps. They were made during the short reign of Edward 8th. I believe all the money from that reign were recalled, but stamps did get out.

jar
March 6th, 2015, 08:48 AM

</end off topic>

As Scrawler said, they are Edward, Duke of a third class British Colony called Bermuda.

Scrawler
March 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM

</end off topic>

As Scrawler said, they are Edward, Duke of a third class British Colony called Bermuda.

Actually the Duke of Windsor was governor of the Bahamas. He was shipped over there because of his apparent Nazi sympathies, so they wanted him out of Europe.

jar
March 6th, 2015, 09:59 AM

</end off topic>

Actually the Duke of Windsor was governor of the Bahamas. He was shipped over there because of his apparent Nazi sympathies, so they wanted him out of Europe.

You're right. I knew it was one of those third rate colonies where the weather is always nice and the wimmin be fine.

sixmr
March 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I impose a limit to the total number of pens I own at any given time. Twelve is the magic number for me. When I want a new one, one of the existing pens has to go. Things that don't get used are useless to me, so I don't collect anything for the sake of collecting it. There are others that enjoy collecting for its own sake though, and I can't fault them for that. Having 12 gives me a good variation on pen type, size, nib, filling mechanism, etc. and all see routine and frequent use. It also means that most of the 12 are really nice pens because I've not spent tons of money on the quantity of pens I have. That being said, I still have the urge to buy new pens like an ink crazed maniac. We're really all just afflicted with a wonderful illness in my mind. Good luck. :bounce:

mustud52
March 7th, 2015, 03:28 AM
I stopped at 100 and will slowly whittle that down to 50 or so.

Caution: sexist comment coming.

Pens are like women, all are fun to try, however if you cannot remember each by name then you have too many.

Willieboy
March 7th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Sixteen to sixty, blind crippled or crazy, I love em all, and if they can't walk, I'll wheel em. I don't limit what I buy by anything but price.

ethernautrix
March 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I have a... let's say sneaky counting method. I have the pens and I have the mementos. Sometimes I use a memento pen, but it's still a memento. Altogether, maybe 40, but I've been divesting slowly over the past year (quickly, in spurts, the prior years), so what I consider the pens number around 20, a number I sometimes delude myself that I'd like to bring down to a dozen. Hahahahaha. Ahhhahahahahahahaha.

Haha.

Yeah, probably not ever going to happen.

As for measurement, I do like to carry a couple of Nakaya Piccolos, a Pelikan Toledo, an Aurora Optima in the same case, as they are all a similar size. It's why neither the Long Piccolo nor Naka-ai is currently inked. Nor the Desk Pen, despite their fabulous nibs.

Still giggling over " bring[ing it] down to a dozen."

Tracy Lee
March 8th, 2015, 08:42 AM
I stay with stubs and broads. I never tire of either so I don't foresee a limit to what I have. It's all about the nib, after all, and no two are just the same. So I feel the need to try as many as I can.

Hawk
March 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
The number of pens I aquire is somewhat dependant on the funds available, not always. Therefore, the number in my collection (read horde) would be less if I could limit my self to either vintage or modern pens. Different ones of both varieties seem to become a need of sorts. In reality, one or two pens for writing is all one needs. However, it would be nice to.... I remember when I was poor, now I am poor and have fountain pens. Poverty is a goal that has been achieved, not necessarly wanted.

johniem
March 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I dunno. Just the other day, when I showed her the pen chest I'm making, the Lovely Ms. Marie asked me how many pens I have. I managed to skirt the issue for now. Basically I will try limit the number of pens to the storage/display space available, but probably not succeed. I will try to be prepared for her next question, "How many pens do you need?" And that depends on how much ink I have to fill them with! Incidentally, I am not a collector. I have just mismanaged to acquire an accumulation of mostly low priced pens which huddle around the Parker P51 for protection.

The number of pens you acquire depend entirely on your personal tastes, desires, and financial resources.

Emma
March 9th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I have about 50 pens total. What I really, really love most about having so many is that when I have used up my cycle of pens and am looking to ink up new ones, it's exciting to look through my pen book for what to ink up! When you haven't used a pen in a while, it's like a brand new pen! I get that same excitement writing with it as the first time I got it, especially if it's a really good one.
I have an Edison menlo pump filler with a binderized xxf accountant's nib in GORGEOUS turquoise; I used it all the time until one of my friends started asking to use it every time we had class together. I put it away for a while to give it a rest (she'd always leave it uncapped when the teacher is lecturing!), and recently when I pulled it out again and put nib to paper it was like- ice cream and naps and sunshine. It makes me appreciate my pens more when I don't use them constantly. Plus I like the idea of cleaning them carefully and letting them have a rest. Maybe I'm crazy, but I always think of them as people that need to restore their energy so they can be pumped up for 12 pages of biology notes. So, no limit at all for me- the more the merrier and I use every single one at some time or another!

Llewellyn
March 12th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I have enough room for 25 pens in my boxes, and that's the limit I've set myself. And they will all be Visconti's. I have room for four more, but they will need to be substantially different from the ones I already have.

Alanc
March 22nd, 2015, 06:43 AM
Hi,

My limit will be when I have as many of the Montblanc fountain pens produced from 1936 to 1960 as I can find, or more likely afford!!

Meanwhile my girlfriend presented me yesterday with a rather large Sheaffer.

Cheers

Alan

sgtstretch
March 22nd, 2015, 08:52 AM
I have large hands, glove size XXXL, and I think I'd have trouble writing with that pen!

Neo
March 22nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
What is the ink capacity?

Alanc
March 22nd, 2015, 10:55 AM
I could rest the barrel on my shoulder, no problem!

It's not really as big as it thinks it is.

Regarding the original post. I only started collecting a month ago and my pen cabinet is nearly full up (it holds 50) the limit on the size of the collection will be determined by finance over ambition.
I have a list of over 60 Montblancs from approx 1936 (three digit numbering system) to 1959/60 that I would love to have in my collection. I currently have 13 vintage MB's, all early 50's.
I guess the reality is that finance will beat me in the end.

Cheers

Alan

elaineb
March 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
LOL! Quite the gift! An advertising prop?

Alanc
March 22nd, 2015, 12:02 PM
Hi elaineb,

My girlfriend managed a pen shop on Regents St. London back in the late eighties to early nineties.
These were display items and have been in her attic since then.
I also had some pens that were also in her attic, this kick started my interest in fountain pens.
My very first post is in New members (A box of pens).

Cheers
Alan

elaineb
March 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
Ah, I remember the collection (but I am terrible with names!) I just hadn't put it together with the gigantic Scheaffer inlaid-nib helmet you had in that last photo.