PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Daily Carry Pen Tube, with Hard & Soft Protection.

Flounder
March 4th, 2015, 04:00 PM
:wave: This is my first PIF on FPGeeks! :)

It's a slightly improved version of the Parker 51 tube I PIF'd on FPN a few months ago (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/280536-pif-parker-51-pen-tube-with-hard-and-soft-protection/). The aim remains the same:

"...good protection for a daily carry pen, small enough to toss in a day bag with the rest of your gear, but strong enough to ward off damage. The inside of a day bag at walking pace can be a surprisingly hostile place, with jangling keys, spare change, and a heavy laptop all ready to do their worst."

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubes003.jpg

What's New!
The cap is put together in a way that makes better use of the space available, while doing away with the centre stitch.
Now, the surface facing the 51's celluloid cap jewel is a stitch-less expanse of 100% silk. A nitrile rubber O ring has also been added for security.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMT%20Pen%20Tubes%20jewel%20foam-silk.jpg

What's Not!

The outside is a rigid PET plastic preform (approx 3mm thick), which is an excellent hard barrier against crushing, bending, twisting, scratching and cutting forces. Hostile synonyms are no match! Shattering - pah! Smashing - pishaw! Spiflicating - pish tosh!
The inside is lined with 3mm thick non-toxic, UV resistant closed cell soft foam (60 on the 00 shore scale), to absorb the stress of impact strikes and abrasion. To protect the 51's delicate celluloid jewels against the concentrated force of end on strikes, the top and bottom get 6mm of foam, lined in 100% silk.
The screw cap is a repurposed Diamine ink bottle cap. If you're going to make a pen tube, you may as well do it in style!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMT%20Pen%20Tubes%204%20in%20a%20row.jpg

Here's a size comparison with a 51, 61 (which will also fit) and my specs (should have shelled out for the thin & lights lenses).

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMT%20Pen%20Tubes%20size%20comparison%20w%20specs% 2051%2061.jpg

Cartman-style 616 switcharoo:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMT%20Pen%20Tubes%20Decoy.jpg

To be in with a chance, complete the following sentence correctly - reply to this thread please, not via PM.

"The collective noun for a group of crows is..."
A. a bandolier of crows.
B. a Kia-Ora of crows.
C. a loitering with burglarious intent of crows.
D. a murder of crows.
E. a squadron of crows.
F. a syzegy of crows.

This is a worldwide PIF ending 10p.m. ish GMT, Sunday 15th March. If Dan is not too busy, I will ask him to random.org the list of aspirants.

ps - many thanks to Diamine for the old-style speckled caps.

remmarb
March 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM
The answer is that a group of crows is called a "murder". If possible, please enter me. Thank you for your time and consideration.

sparkinflint
March 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM
ah i kinda commented abit late but yes, a group of crows is called a murder of crows.

Jon Szanto
March 7th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Too cool for school! My answer is:

MURDER!

Wile E Coyote
March 7th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Repurposed materials or not, that is one of the nicest pen carrying solutions available.

I'll enter with answer D.

Chrissy
March 7th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I loved this idea when I saw it on FPN. I can think of so many useful ideas for one of these, so I would like to enter please if I may.

The correct collective name for a group of crows is a Murder of crows.

There have been other collective nouns used for crows; horde, hover, parcel, muster, and parliament. However, a parliament is known to be the collective noun for a group of owls. One came up the other day that I liked: a quiver of cobras. Very apt.

TerraNoir
March 7th, 2015, 06:19 PM
These look so cool... Fingers crossed and all.

But it's D. A murder of crows. I always found that to be such a cool fact about crows.

caribbean_skye
March 7th, 2015, 06:27 PM
oooh those are nifty, would love to be considered with the answer of D but I love the C answer, too funny

Losbol
March 11th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Dear Flounder

My answer to your question is "a murder of c(r)ows".

Look forward to participating in this PIF as your Daily Carry Pen Tube would ease all the worries while enjoying carrying my newly acquired fountain pen with me anytime and any place.

Thanks for the opportunity & good luck to all participants!

Flounder
March 11th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Dear Flounder

My answer to your question is "a murder of c(r)ows".

Look forward to participating in this PIF as your Daily Carry Pen Tube would ease all the worries while enjoying carrying my newly acquired fountain pen with me anytime and any place.

Thanks for the opportunity & good luck to all participants!

Hi Losbol (and Remmarb), welcome to the forum.

Just to avoid disappointment - your newly acquired fountain pen is a Parker 51 right? While there's room in the empty plastic preform for chunkier pens, a Parker 51/61/Hero 616 jumbo is the optimal pen for this carry tube, kitted out with this thickness of foam.

(or a Snorkel, if you're more into Sheaffers).

Losbol
March 12th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. My newly acquired fountain pen is a charcoal Lamy Safari with a fine nib. Not as elegant as a Parker 51, but a perfect start back into the fascinating world of writing with fountain pens with my sturdy hands.

If the measures of your Pen Tube are to small to accommodate for my pen, count me out for the PIF, ok?

Flounder
March 12th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Losbol,

I've just tried a Lamy Vista (which is exactly the same size & shape as the Safari, just transparent) and it doesn't fit, the enormous paperclip-style clip is too big to clear the foam. Sorry! There's plenty of space for a 51, which slides in and out very easily.

Losbol
March 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM
No worries! Glad you asked and checked to make sure the Pen Holder will fit. :)

sparkinflint
March 13th, 2015, 02:54 PM
i gotta drop out aswell then ;/

skycat
March 13th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I've only got a 21 at the moment, but what the heck I'll jump in with a murder of crows too.

Just joined the forum today, so feel free to exclude me if I'm too new to play.

kbrede
March 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM
These tubes look great! I'd like to be included. It's a 'murder' of crows.

Thanks for the chance to win. :)

Kent

Flounder
March 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I've only got a 21 at the moment, but what the heck I'll jump in with a murder of crows too.

NOOOOOB! Noob over here! Ha-ha, newbie-newb-neewwwwwb! Did your mom pick those clothes noob?! [grabs noobs arms] Haha why are you punching yourself? Is it because you're such a NOOBY-NOOB-NOOOOOOEEEWWWWWWBBEEEHH!!!

Okay, that's you initiated. Good luck.

skycat
March 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I

NOOOOOB! Noob over here! Ha-ha, newbie-newb-neewwwwwb! Did your mom pick those clothes noob?! [grabs noobs arms] Haha why are you punching yourself? Is it because you're such a NOOBY-NOOB-NOOOOOOEEEWWWWWWBBEEEHH!!!

Okay, that's you initiated. Good luck.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Flounder
March 15th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Okay, it's time to find this tube a home! Everyone was right about those murderous crows. I've assigned these numbers based on thread reply order:

2 Remmarb
3 Jon Szanto
4 Wile E Coyote
5 Chrissy
6 TerraNoir
7 Caribbean_Skye
8 SkyCat
9 Kbrede

Dan has kindly agreed to random.org the number range and choose the winner. May Tyche twirl her toga in your direction!

dannzeman
March 15th, 2015, 08:57 PM
The winner is #4, Wile E Coyote.

http://youtu.be/x2-hS-ezZdY

Flounder
March 16th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Congrats Wile E Coyote, PM me your mailing address & I'll post off your tube.

Wile E Coyote
March 16th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Awesome, thanks.

TerraNoir
March 17th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Congrats Wile E Coyote!

Chrissy
March 17th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Congrats Wile E Coyote.

Darn I was one number out again. :cry:

kbrede
March 17th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Congratulations Wile E Coyote. :)
Kent

Glennhkc
February 5th, 2016, 04:18 AM
...a murder of crows.

Thanks so much for this giveaway. What a great idea for ultra-safe P-51 transport. Love the case - hope I win!

Flounder
February 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Ouch, sorry Glenn but those crows have long since flown! Wile E Coyote won back in March last year (see thread posts above).

PimpleMaze
March 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM
a group of crows is called a murder. Did you know a group of ravens is an unkindness, or a conspiracy.

Flounder
March 25th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I didn't know that - why do these cool dramatic-looking avians get such a hostile press!

Red Harry N. G.
April 1st, 2016, 10:58 AM
I know the PIF has already ended, but I have to comment on the idea ... I think it's wonderful -- as well as the implementation! That Diamine cap is just a cherry on top (*of a tube, huehuehue*).

Flounder
April 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thank you, that's nice to hear!

It was very neat of Diamine to donate a bunch of those great speckled caps, they had already discontinued using them when I was making these tubes. After hearing what they were for, they just threw a handful of NOS ones in with my ink order!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/DiamineInkBottleCaps.jpg

deluxe
April 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM
Great!!
It's a *Murder* of crows.
Nice PIF.

Flounder
April 2nd, 2016, 10:40 AM
:facepalm:

Darkbulb
April 3rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
I know the PIF is over but man, that is a really neat idea to hold a pen!