PDA

View Full Version : De Atramentis - Sapphire Blue (Picture heavy, sorry)

Sammyo
March 5th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I was looking for reviews of this ink, or even just a writing sample, but there was nothing out there. So I decided to buy a bottle and try it... Then it dawned on me, what if someone else was looking... I could do an ink review! This is the first time that I have done this so please, any feedback, advice, comments, etc are all welcome... positive or negative.

Do I like this ink? ... Yes I do.
It is very much like Iroshizuku Asa Gao, but darker. It flows well, looks very nice and is very water resistant from the two tests I did. I tried it on cheap copy paper, Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River. The Pilot Parallel feathered terribly on the Rhodia for some reason... not sure why! The sheen on the Tomoe River was amazing, it was visible on nearly all the text, but especially on the Pilot Parallel and flexed writing. It was also visible on the Apica but nowhere near as stunning. I captured it the best I could, but I don't have an expensive camera or set up.

I thought that cleaning this out of a pen was going to be a nightmare after the water test... but I was wrong. I cleaned out my Speedball auto-feed, which has a lever filled sac with no troubles. It thought it was going to be like the Diamine Grape that was coming out of the pen for weeks, and just when I thought it was clean... more came out. But this stuff flushed straight out with so few issues, I wasn't sure I had done it properly. So I left it and went back again... clean, clear water :)

This ink was everything I was hoping it would be. I wanted it for an everyday office ink with a little, extra special something; it delivers for me. If you do not like dark blues, then this is not for you. It is a very saturated rich colour, much like the Iroshizuku inks. I am very happy and already have three people at work that would like a sample for their pens, I think that speaks for itself.

The rest can be seen from the pictures and scans. I tried to correct as best I could and included a scan and a photo of the review paper. The swab was a bit more purple in real life, but the rest seems about right.

I hope this helps somebody out there.
p.s. Sorry for the terrible handwriting.

Lady Onogaro
March 5th, 2015, 08:56 PM
That's funny--I like the way it looks with the Parker 45 more than I do with any of the finer nibs. Usually the opposite holds true.

Sammyo
March 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM
The Parker 45 is one of my EDC pens, with this ink in it it is now my go to, reach for pen for notes :)

Jeph
March 6th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Oh, that is a rich blue. I might have to try that one. And Parker 45's rock.

elaineb
March 6th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I've been looking for exactly this type of blue recently -- a dark cobalt without any grey or black tones in it. In fact, I just ordered about 10 samples from Goulet... but I'm not sure I included this one. I think I did. I HOPE I did!

Sammyo
March 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Somebody elsewhere pointed out that the Iroshizuku Asa-Gao looked quite dark. I have to admit that my Parker Vector makes the Asa-Gao look darker than it really is... not sure why! So i went back and prepared another picture. I kept flexing and using the dip pen to give as much color variation as possible. Hopefully this helps*:)
p.s. I realise that in my rush to respond I misspelt Iroshizuku... Doh!

Sammyo
March 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Oh, that is a rich blue. I might have to try that one. And Parker 45's rock.

I completely agree, this one was actually my grandads. He used it every day, it is one of my everyday carries and all these years on it never skips a beat. Rock solid pen!

Sammyo
March 7th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I've been looking for exactly this type of blue recently -- a dark cobalt without any grey or black tones in it. In fact, I just ordered about 10 samples from Goulet... but I'm not sure I included this one. I think I did. I HOPE I did!

Thank you, I'm glad I could help. I have to say I really like this ink and it is very well behaved.

Sammyo
March 7th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Looks like I missed the Apica writing sample!!! I must have been tired!!!