PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Grape

Chrissy
March 6th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Today I'm reviewing Diamine Grape ink.
It's a similar shade to Damson (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10554-Ink-Review-Diamine-Damson) or Amazing Amethyst (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10536-Ink-Review-Diamine-Amazing-Amethyst?p=115096#post115096) but contains more red than both of those, and seems more saturated. It's very like a black grape shade. Very nice.

I found that Grape flows well, and it lubricates the nib well. No start-up problems noticed.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, this ink takes 15-16 secs to dry.

This ink isn't waterproof or archival

It is currently available in 30ml plastic bottles and 80ml glass bottles.

It's reasonably priced

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

sgtstretch
March 6th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I recently picked up Diamine Bilberry, and was trying to decide between Grape and Bilberry. Bilberry has more blue, and is a brighter purple. Looking at the swab here, I think I made the right choice. I wanted a purpler purple.

Chrissy
March 6th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I have an 80ml bottle of Bilberry in my drawer. I should have used it as a comparison ink Doh!

Morgaine
March 6th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Grape and Bilberry look nice in letters!

Cob
March 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Very interesting Chrissy; to me here, it looks more towards maroon - i.e. not as purple as your examples.

And for a black purple, I would nominate Eclipse.

This ink thing will run forever I am sure.

Cob

mustud52
March 6th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I have looked at scans of Grape on a number of lcd screens, including one that is quite well calibrated. I think that none of them do Grape justice. There seems to be far more character in the real life ink than in what I see on the screen. Or so it seems to me.

Chrissy, I really like Grape, however I have read about it being a monster with staining. That has not happened to me yet although it does inhibit my appreciation. Have you had any problems?

Cob
March 6th, 2015, 04:46 PM
One of my fairly numerous Swans has a nasty habit of unscrewing itself whilst in the pocket of one of my better jackets. The pen, a fair-sized leverless holds plenty of ink nearly always Diamine Grape, and results had to be seen to be believed. I was out when it happened and had to wait a couple of hours before I could attack the huge stain. This I did with Tesco's stain remover and then just washed the thing.

There is not a trace left.

Cob

mustud52
March 6th, 2015, 04:54 PM
One of my fairly numerous Swans has a nasty habit of unscrewing itself whilst in the pocket of one of my better jackets. The pen, a fair-sized leverless holds plenty of ink nearly always Diamine Grape, and results had to be seen to be believed. I was out when it happened and had to wait a couple of hours before I could attack the huge stain. This I did with Tesco's stain remover and then just washed the thing.

Cob

Ah, yes. The inner left jacket pocket always tells a story. Never had a problem with a Montblanc for years, however a number of Pelikan 100Ns have fouled their nest. These days I make greater use of several pen pouches.

Cob
March 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM

Cob

Ah, yes. The inner left jacket pocket always tells a story. Never had a problem with a Montblanc for years, however a number of Pelikan 100Ns have fouled their nest. These days I make greater use of several pen pouches.

Hmm, So Pelikans as well as Swans foul their nests eh?

I have never had a problem with a Jackdaw or a Blackbird in this regard; but it's probably a good thing that there was never a Seagull or Pigeon pen...

Cob

mustud52
March 7th, 2015, 01:57 AM

Cob

I have never had a problem with a Jackdaw or a Blackbird in this regard; but it's probably a good thing that there was never a Seagull or Pigeon pen...

Cob

Ha ha. Imagine what an ostrich or emu could do if you put one in your jacket pocket!

Cob
March 7th, 2015, 02:12 AM

Cob

Cob

Ha ha. Imagine what an ostrich or emu could do if you put one in your jacket pocket!

Ugh! Terrifying...

Or even one of those "vintage" pterodactyls?

C.

Chrissy
March 7th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I have looked at scans of Grape on a number of lcd screens, including one that is quite well calibrated. I think that none of them do Grape justice. There seems to be far more character in the real life ink than in what I see on the screen. Or so it seems to me.

Chrissy, I really like Grape, however I have read about it being a monster with staining. That has not happened to me yet although it does inhibit my appreciation. Have you had any problems?

I did this particular review because someone on 'the other place' had a problem with this ink using the very same pen that I have. So I reviewed this ink in the same pen. I have not experienced any problems with similar symptoms like those that some people experience with Ancient Copper. Yes I did get some of this Grape ink on my hands. Weirdly, I find that while I can't easily wash many inks from my hands with 'liquid soap' in pump action containers, it seems very easy to wash ink from my hands with several ordinary bars of soap. I wish I knew why that was, but I don't. This one I managed to get down my thumbnail. It wasn't there after I washed my hands with bar soap and water, but it didn't come off immediately with Ink Nix. Yep weird!

My Pilot Prera has sat around with Grape in it for 3 days. I see no problem anywhere. It looks 100% normal. I am still in testing mode though, and will leave this ink sitting in this pen for a few more days at least. I haven't seen whether it stains the converter yet, but I will report back as soon as I can on that one.

Cob, I specially adjusted my review to match the ink using Photoshop. It took me quite a while to get them the same.

Lady Onogaro
March 7th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I recently picked up Diamine Bilberry, and was trying to decide between Grape and Bilberry. Bilberry has more blue, and is a brighter purple. Looking at the swab here, I think I made the right choice. I wanted a purpler purple.

I picked up Diamine Bilberry, too, and I so far I have used it in only one pen with an XF nib. It comes out very dark--almost purple black. I have to try it in a pen with a Medium nib to see what it looks like. Diamine Grape reminds me of Sailor Shigure here, but Shigure may be more purple, too.

Cob
March 7th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Well this is fascinating; if I get time, I'll try to do a Grape Test.

Cob

mustud52
March 8th, 2015, 01:29 AM

I did this particular review because someone on 'the other place' had a problem with this ink using the very same pen that I have. So I reviewed this ink in the same pen. I have not experienced any problems with similar symptoms like those that some people experience with Ancient Copper. Yes I did get some of this Grape ink on my hands. Weirdly, I find that while I can't easily wash many inks from my hands with 'liquid soap' in pump action containers, it seems very easy to wash ink from my hands with several ordinary bars of soap. I wish I knew why that was, but I don't. This one I managed to get down my thumbnail. It wasn't there after I washed my hands with bar soap and water, but it didn't come off immediately with Ink Nix. Yep weird!

My Pilot Prera has sat around with Grape in it for 3 days. I see no problem anywhere. It looks 100% normal. I am still in testing mode though, and will leave this ink sitting in this pen for a few more days at least. I haven't seen whether it stains the converter yet, but I will report back as soon as I can on that one.

Cob, I specially adjusted my review to match the ink using Photoshop. It took me quite a while to get them the same.

I have used Grape in both a Pelikan 100n and a M400 white tortoise, with the ink left in those pens for about 4 weeks. No problems during that time, and both pens cleaned with water and a cotton bud swipe to the inside of the ink windows. However, to me, that is quite a brief test.