PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 5

Pages : [1] 2

Laura N
March 6th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Ink fans, when the going gets tough, the tough need some new ink. So, klpeabody and I are starting another round of Mystery Ink.

This will be Round 5, or MI5. Dedicated to all those who wonder what’s so funny ‘bout peace, love and understanding. Elvis Costello version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWp67DsTk4), of course.

We are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be.

MI5 has a few little wrinkles. First, this is an ink that I received as a gift to the MI community, and it leaked a bit during shipping, so samples will be about 2 ml each. I will reveal the name of the donor when I reveal the name of the ink, so as not to feed the frenzy of speculation about the ink’s identity. Second, although we usually say nothing about the ink before seeking volunteers, I am going to make an exception for MI5. If you don’t like cheery and bright inks, this one probably would be wasted on you, and you might prefer waiting for a future MI while this one goes to those who might better appreciate it.

As always, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it without knowing its identity. That means if you finish early or like things right away, you may have to wait a bit to find out the ink’s name. That may seem like a bummer. But, turn it around and think of it as “taking one for the team.” You are doing a good deed. We are family. This is the peace, love and understanding edition of MI, after all.

So if you’d like to throw your inky hat in the ring, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI5. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

Please volunteer only if you have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting. People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

More details can be found in the threads "Mystery Ink Sample,” "Mystery Ink No. 3” or “Mystery Ink No. 4.”

ilangai
March 6th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I'm in..

Laura N
March 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I'm in..

Great, and you live in Israel from your profile, which is neat. Can you just "please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI5." Thank you!

We randomly select participants. However, we'd like to know a little something about why folks want to do MI5 because (i) it's fun to learn about others, (ii) we like to find out why MI appeals and (iii) basically I'm easily bored and love shiny new posts. :)

reprieve
March 6th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I love the theme of this one. A bright new ink can do wonders for the spirit, especially in times like these.

I won't toss my name into the hat this time as I've been lucky enough to participate twice already and I'd love to see some new converts to the Mystery Ink Madness. Hey, geeks, this is loads of fun! I promise. Join up!

ilangai
March 6th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Well.. i like the idea of not knowing the ink, and even (from your description) the fact it is cheery and bright.
As one who mostly use "conventional" ink colours, this could be interseting.

And i could not pass the MI5 theme!

Sailor Kenshin
March 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEEEZ?

Because....three feet of snow....*sobs quietly*

alc3261
March 6th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Me too!!

Jon Szanto
March 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Be careful, folks...

16957 (https://www.mi5.gov.uk/)

Laura N
March 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
And worse: MI6 is next. Spycatcher!

Alec_J
March 6th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Please add me to the list!

I am very new to the FP world and love it so far! I don't know exactly what I do and don't like for certain as I've only tried 4 inks thus far including Noodlers 54th Mass, Noodlers Widow Maker, Noodlers Libertys Elysium and Waterman Absolute Brown. So far I very much like all of these but I am wanting to expand my palate. A bright cheery color would be great to expand my FP experience!

mustud52
March 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Enjoy. I shall follow this with interest. A bright and cheery ink, you say? How appropriate.

Cob
March 6th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Well I've had plenty of turns, and as I favour dark, mysterious and depressing colours I will of course pass this time - leave the cheery inks to the cheerful ones I say and leave the grumpy old miseries to cry into their beer I mean ink - how do you do that crossing-out thing eh?

As as for why I like to take part, it is because the whole thing has been fascinating and for a tyro like me educational too.

Thanks Laura,

Cob

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I'm interest, but if a new person wants to jump in...I'll pass.

Bright inks are needed to go with my bright pens. I don't own one black pen. When you do a black ink MI, I will definitely pass. Classic is not my gig. In 50 years when someone looks at my pens....they will say "colors scream 2015".

migo984
March 6th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Oh heck. I'm in!

Now - how to persuade Laura............?

Well, I know I've done two MIs already but I've just moved to Australia from the UK, and have been here for precisely 3 days. A bright, cheerful ink would match beautifully the bright & cheerful weather here! It's ​24C and I'm sitting drinking coffee outside in the SUN (sorry, my friends in cold, snow-bound US), and a bit of ink-testing would be F.U.N. And is about as strenuous & hard-working as I plan to get for the next 6 months! :) :)

Hmmm - well I guess all you northern hemisphere folks with full-time jobs now hate me with a vengeance...... ;-)

migo

mustud52
March 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Oh heck. I'm in!

Well, I know I've done two MIs already but I've just moved to Australia from the UK, and have been here for precisely 3 days. A bright, cheerful ink would match beautifully the bright & cheerful weather here! It's ​24C and I'm sitting drinking coffee outside in the SUN (sorry, my friends in cold, snow-bound US), and a bit of ink-testing would be F.U.N. And is about as strenuous & hard-working as I plan to get for the next 6 months! :) :)

Hmmm - well I guess all you northern hemisphere folks with full-time jobs now hate me with a vengeance...... ;-)

migo

Welcome to Aussie, migo. The land where the sun shines pleasantly and the ink flows benignly (except, perhaps, in my bloody Conway Stewart). Enjoy Queenscliff.

Crazyorange
March 7th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Oh heck. I'm in!

migo

Humph! I need to send you some snow. I have plenty to share. Let me guess....the roads are in good condition there. We have pot hole that eat cars. I can send you one of those too ;)

Enjoy. Send me warm thoughts. I'll be mailing you a letter on Monday.

Chrissy
March 7th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Please can I add my name to the list for this one. I would love to try a bright and cheery ink, now that spring is here, and, of course, the fact that it's MI5 has a certain appeal in the UK. :)

I would like to be sitting in high temperatures drinking my glass of champagne in the sunshine. Oh wait a moment...I am :haha:

Thank you for doing this. :)

Laura N
March 7th, 2015, 10:56 AM
It must be good weather everywhere. Because it is 43 balmy degrees Fahrenheit (6 Celcius) here, the sun is out, and the four feet of ice and snow is starting to melt. I think it's the first time we've breached 17 degrees in weeks. I can wash the dirty, salty car!!!!!

Alright, MI5-ers, I think we have seven volunteers at this point. Unless I can't count due to spring fever. Anyone else? We love people to try this; don't hang back if you are interested. Throw your hat in the ring. If there are more volunteers than spots, I use random.org to make a list, so all have the same chance. I'll give it a little more time.

klpeabody
March 7th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I'm so glad that amidst the present forum drama, there is still Mystery Ink to look forward to. Thanks Laura for getting this going, being that I was lined up to handle this round and then was recently sidelined due to work obligations. I look forward to participating in this round, however, as a mystery ink sampler and look forward to being surprised once again. I look forward to this mystery ink, and enjoying it alongside the die-hards, as well as the new participants.

We have nice weather here today too. Sunshine feels good! Laura, I had to laugh at your reference to your dirty car. My car is salty mess. The last few weeks have been filled with seemingly never-ending snow, and low temps. My car has needed a wash - badly - but, I haven't taken it fearing my locks would freeze. I need spring!!

Neo
March 7th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Don't forget to rinse the bottom of the car also, that salt solution is not good for brake lines.

klpeabody
March 7th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Don't forget to rinse the bottom of the car also, that salt solution is not good for brake lines.

Thanks, Neo!

Laura N
March 7th, 2015, 12:23 PM

Well, I don't want to come over too "princessy" or anything, but when I say "wash my car" I mean take it to an automatic car wash. I'm not out there with a hose doing it myself. :)

Sailor Kenshin
March 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Well, I don't want to come over too "princessy" or anything, but when I say "wash my car" I mean take it to an automatic car wash. I'm not out there with a hose doing it myself. :)

Now I feel better. ;)

I can't even bring myself to do that.

naimitsu
March 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Is it too late to throw my name into the hat?

Laura N
March 7th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Is it too late to throw my name into the hat?

Not at all: consider your name hereby thrown into the hat.

Klp once used an actual hat to choose the recipients.

Cob
March 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM

A few years ago there was a joke going the rounds in Geneva:

Q. "How can you identify a poor Swiss?"
A. "He's the one who washes his Porsche himself."

Cob

Chrissy
March 7th, 2015, 03:22 PM
A few years ago there was a joke going the rounds in Geneva:

Q. "How can you identify a poor Swiss?"
A. "He's the one who washes his Porsche himself."

Cob
Good one Cob

Laura N
March 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Jon: drum roll, please.

Our MI5 recipients, selected by a random list generator* are:

ilangai
alc3261
migo984
Sailor Kenshin
Alec_J
naimitsu

So, excellent results, because we have some new victims (I mean volunteers) and some established veterans to try this one, which I think is a very exciting one, that I myself can't wait to try.

Could ilangai, Alec_J and naimitsu please PM me with your mailing address and your email address (unless I already have your email).

Chrissy, I seem to remember you missed out on MI4, but don't worry because I think I have just enough to send you a vial of MI5 as well.

I want to remind everyone that MI has been really buoyed by donations from generous members, listed in the MI4 thread, who've given to keep this going. So please join me and klp in thanking them, once again, for their support. This is such a nice little corner of FPG, and we're grateful to enjoy it with you all.

*Due to postal fees, I actually do two random lists, one for those outside the US, and one for US.

sgtstretch
March 8th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing results! And fingers crossed that the postal service doesn't hide any for an extended period.

Crazyorange
March 8th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Ok...the excitement builds!!! Looking forward to seeing people post about the ink. [emoji5]️

Chrissy
March 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Chrissy, I seem to remember you missed out on MI4, but don't worry because I think I have just enough to send you a vial of MI5 as well.

I want to remind everyone that MI has been really buoyed by donations from generous members, listed in the MI4 thread, who've given to keep this going. So please join me and klp in thanking them, once again, for their support. This is such a nice little corner of FPG, and we're grateful to enjoy it with you all.

Yes I did, but thank you so much for adding me onto the list for MI5. :)

I also wish to add my very grateful thanks to all of the generous donors who have given to keep MI going. :clap2:

alc3261
March 8th, 2015, 05:16 PM

I go to the hand car wash!!

Laura N
March 8th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Only in the summer, when I make the kids wash the cars. :)

Cob
March 8th, 2015, 05:37 PM

Only in the summer, when I make the kids wash the cars. :)

Remember Quentin Crisp's famous dictum: "After four years the dust doesn't get any thicker"!

Cob

migo984
March 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Welcome to Aussie, migo. The land where the sun shines pleasantly and the ink flows benignly (except, perhaps, in my bloody Conway Stewart). Enjoy Queenscliff.

Thank you for the welcome mustud52. I'm excited to be here and already like it very much. Queenscliff is a very charming town and the local townsfolk are so friendly. I love being able to walk along the coast every morning, watching the black swans on Swan Bay, or staring at the beautiful view across to the Heads of Port Phillip Bay.

The next 6 months are going to be wonderful :)

tandaina
March 8th, 2015, 05:54 PM
I use only naturally sourced water to wash my car. I park outside in the rain. (I live in Seattle!) ;)

migo984
March 8th, 2015, 05:55 PM

ilangai
alc3261
migo984
Sailor Kenshin
Alec_J
naimisu

So, excellent results, because we have some new victims (I mean volunteers) and some established veterans to try this one, which I think is a very exciting one, that I myself can't wait to try.

Could ilangai, Alec_J and naimisu please PM me with your mailing address and your email address (unless I already have your email).

*Due to postal fees, I actually do two random lists, one for those outside the US, and one for US.

Yippeeeee! Can't wait to try out MI5. I wonder if the ink will behave differently in the Southern Hemisphere LOL ;-)

Laura N
March 8th, 2015, 05:58 PM

ilangai
alc3261
migo984
Sailor Kenshin
Alec_J
naimisu

Could ilangai, Alec_J and naimisu please PM me with your mailing address and your email address (unless I already have your email).

Yippeeeee! Can't wait to try out MI5. I wonder if the ink will behave differently in the Southern Hemisphere LOL ;-)

I think you have to write upside down so we can read it. :)

migo984
March 8th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Oh heck. I'm in!

migo

Humph! I need to send you some snow. I have plenty to share. Let me guess....the roads are in good condition there. We have pot hole that eat cars. I can send you one of those too ;)

Enjoy. Send me warm thoughts. I'll be mailing you a letter on Monday.

Ooooh that's great. I can't wait to receive letters at my new address from my pen pals. I've written to 2 already and will be writing some more this week, including my late InCoWriMo letters.

(Many thanks to Sandy for her letter, which was waiting for me when I arrived.)

sgtstretch
March 8th, 2015, 09:09 PM
It might flow out of the nib backwards (reverse spirals and all).

Alec_J
March 9th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Thank you to the supporters of MI5, Laura, and everyone else involved! I can't wait to receive my mystery sample. Congrats to everyone else who is in the MI5!

Sailor Kenshin
March 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM
What he said!

Cob
March 9th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Thank you to the supporters of MI5, Laura, and everyone else involved! I can't wait to receive my mystery sample. Congrats to everyone else who is in the MI5!

I should like to second that.

Cob

inlovewithjournals
March 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
And worse: MI6 is next. Spycatcher!

Darn it I keep missing these. Maybe MI6 will be the one.... :)

Laura N
March 9th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I just sent off a little bit of sunshine to the first three MI5 participants: ilangai, alc3261 and migo984.

migo984
March 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I just sent off a little bit of sunshine to the first three MI5 participants: ilangai, alc3261 and migo984.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17070&stc=1

That's exactly the colour of the sunset here last night. Can't wait for MI5 to arrive.

Laura N
March 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
By the way, I should mention: that's not the original bottle of MI5. Like any good spy agency, secrets are my stock in trade. :spy:

migo984
March 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
By the way, I should mention: that's not the original bottle of MI5. Like any good spy agency, secrets are my stock in trade. :spy:

That's SO sneaky! :)

Crazyorange
March 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Oh man Laura is a mom. She knows how to keep us in suspense. :)

Laura N
March 9th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Should I tell you in nine months?

Crazyorange
March 9th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Love ya Laura. You get me laughing.

klpeabody
March 9th, 2015, 06:46 PM

LOLZ!! me too.

Neo
March 9th, 2015, 06:51 PM

LOLZ!! me too.

:rofl:

ilangai
March 10th, 2015, 01:07 AM

Perfect!

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Alright, friends. To update, Chrissy's is now in the mail as well. The U.S. ones will go next.

Anyway, so how are things? Are we okay? Maybe we can help each other be okay, or at least a bit more okay. We are sad, many of us, but MI is sort of a little island of happiness, so let's huddle together and send virtual hugs. Peace, love and understanding is the theme, after all. I know my ice/snow is slowly melting outside. I think I see the first daffodil shoots out there, too. I think daffodils are sort of a good image for MI5, actually.

So how is everyone else? Anyone have any thoughts on anything? MI? Anything you'd like to see in a later MI? I'm almost sure I heard Crazyorange say she'd love a future MI of black ink, right? My memory can be a little faulty ....

Neo
March 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Mystery soda?

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Humph on black. They're all the same.

Sailor Kenshin
March 11th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Alright, friends. To update, Chrissy's is now in the mail as well. The U.S. ones will go next.

Anyway, so how are things? Are we okay? Maybe we can help each other be okay, or at least a bit more okay. We are sad, many of us, but MI is sort of a little island of happiness, so let's huddle together and send virtual hugs. Peace, love and understanding is the theme, after all. I know my ice/snow is slowly melting outside. I think I see the first daffodil shoots out there, too. I think daffodils are sort of a good image for MI5, actually.

So how is everyone else? Anyone have any thoughts on anything? MI? Anything you'd like to see in a later MI? I'm almost sure I heard Crazyorange say she'd love a future MI of black ink, right? My memory can be a little faulty ....

DAFFODIL SHOOTS? Yayyyyy!

Mine are still buried in a mere foot of snow, though the rain melted some off.

migo984
March 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM

I'm loving Australia but I'm missing all my inks, which I had to leave behind. :cry: I miss my inks more than my pens; isn't that weird?!

So MI is balm to my inky sadness & I'm cheered by the prospect of getting MI5 to try out. This place (MI-land) is one of the nicest spots on the inter-web & I thank you both, Laura & klp, for your inspired idea & for making it informative, thought-provoking, challenging, equitable, supportive &, most of all, FUN. :)

mustud52
March 11th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Tease, such a tease.

MI should become a franchise. Or a TV show. With Jeremy Clarkson. I am imagining the speedy writing ink tests.

Laura and Chrissy as co-hosts.

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Tease, such a tease.

MI should become a franchise. Or a TV show. With Jeremy Clarkson. I am imagining the speedy writing ink tests.

I admit it: I was briefly intrigued by the ratings possibilities. Then, after thinking it over for, oh, five seconds, I remembered that MI does have some minimal personal conduct expectations. Plus a criminally low budget.

Also, I am afraid of being punched.

I do think the celebrity co-host is a nice idea. George Clooney has been floated as a possibility, but when I reached out to his people they weren't sure about his schedule. We can take other nominations.

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
DAFFODIL SHOOTS? Yayyyyy!

Mine are still buried in a mere foot of snow, though the rain melted some off.

Yes, here are a few!

Chrissy
March 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Daffodil shoots? Mine are ready to pick and put in a vase indoors. I will take a pic tomorrow when it's light.

Chrissy
March 11th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Oooooh thank you. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Yes, here are a few!

I guess I recognize the plants, but what is that white stuff? Did someone empty their beach cooler on the ground??

Chrissy
March 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Tease, such a tease.

Jeremy Clarkson is currently in big trouble at the Beeb. This weeks Top Gear has been cancelled.....

elaineb
March 11th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I guess I recognize the plants, but what is that white stuff? Did someone empty their beach cooler on the ground??

May I punch you now?

<huddling amidst 3ft banks of dirty, grimy snow>

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 04:43 PM
My mistake. Obviously an explosion at the Shave Ice factory. Grab some syrups and some cones, stat!

Neo
March 11th, 2015, 04:50 PM
My mistake. Obviously an explosion at the Shave Ice factory. Grab some syrups and some cones, stat!

Shave ice? How about some chowder?

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 05:02 PM

Eh, blow it out your ear, wheeeeeeeeee. :smow:

ETA: this is a joke, referring to a conversation of a few days ago. I'm not really serious. :)

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 05:05 PM
No shoots here.....but they must be coming soon. Today was 63 degrees!!!!! Happy dance!!!!!

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 05:10 PM
If we could get George Clooney to host the show, it wouldn't matter if it was about ink. Ratings would be great. Maybe he could personally deliver samples? Can you imagine george on your front stoop? Sigh. I would even test a black ink if he come with the sample. [emoji7]

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 05:39 PM
He's on his way, just stopping off for a shave ice with the kids...

http://www.blogher.com/files/DescendantsHero.jpg

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 05:50 PM
^^ That's me on the left. I can't believe this was made public.

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 06:04 PM
^^ That's me on the left. I can't believe this was made public.

Wow!! Killer body. What's your secret?

Just who's kids are these???

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Shoveling snow.

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 06:26 PM

Shoveling snow.

Aahhhh...no. I don't have that body and did tons of shoveling.

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 06:40 PM

Shoveling snow.

Work with me here. I've only seen photos of the stuff.

klpeabody
March 11th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Shoveling snow.

A plausible and valiant argument, indeed!

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 06:47 PM

Shoveling snow.

Smart man....snow is over rated.

klpeabody
March 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I just want to chime in with those who are celebrating the melting of snow today. Upon driving home from work, it was approx 56 degrees. And the mounds of snow had, visibly, been melting throughout today. I could see grass in some places! Woot!! It may have been brown and dirty, but it was, in fact, grass. GRASS, not snow!!! I'm doing somersaults. I am hoping that spring is upon us!!!

klpeabody
March 11th, 2015, 06:59 PM

Looking forward to this mystery ink, and being surprised AGAIN.

I'm still sad and trying not to think about it, honestly, but Mystery Ink can cure all ills, I've decided. Peace, love and understanding - just remember folks, it's free. Doesn't cost us anything. Never does.

I love daffodils!

I think a black ink mystery ink, in honor of Crazyorange, would be a fine idea. No, they're not all the same. Some are brownish, some are grey-ish, and some are just superior to others. lol. ;-) (just poking' fun at ya!)

Also, have I mentioned that I love daffodils?

It has been a good day today, though. So, wishing you all well. =)

Laura N
March 11th, 2015, 07:06 PM
We (klp and I) have actually played with the idea of sending out a flight of black ink samples.

Some are wet and some are dry,
Some are dark and some are light,
Some will stain and make you cry,
Some we like and some you might.

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Today makes me think of kc and the sunshine band.....do a little dance! Happy dance!!! Warm weather. [emoji2]

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 07:11 PM
We (klp and I) have actually played with the idea of sending out a flight of black ink samples.

I dare you to find the perfect shade of black. Black is black. Not very exciting.

klpeabody
March 11th, 2015, 07:18 PM

I dare you to find the perfect shade of black. Black is black. Not very exciting.

LOL, orange. You are crazy, you know that? ;-)

Jon Szanto
March 11th, 2015, 07:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Great song. Don't worry be happy spring is coming.

mustud52
March 11th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Tease, such a tease.

Jeremy Clarkson is currently in big trouble at the Beeb. This weeks Top Gear has been cancelled.....

He should be available for Top Ink.

Stand well away when he loads up a pen.

Cob
March 12th, 2015, 04:13 AM

Perhaps not exciting but quite interesting.

My father worked in the textile industry; he told me that there were 540 shades of black!

Cob

Crazyorange
March 12th, 2015, 04:35 AM
540 shades of black? Sounds like a new book series.

Chrissy
March 12th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Daffodils in my garden, as promised. Please try to ignore the tree stake:

Cob
March 12th, 2015, 04:55 AM
540 shades of black? Sounds like a new book series.

Very good!

C.

Cob
March 12th, 2015, 04:56 AM

At the corner of my street the lawn in front of the house there is, in January each year awash with daffodils in full bloom; I imagine there must be something underground keeping them warm - I had never heard of such a thing.

Cob

Laura N
March 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Borrowing another drum roll from Jon, it is my pleasure to announce that all mystery ink packages are now in the mail and on their way to MI5 participants, wheresoever they dwell.

Jon Szanto
March 12th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Lovely photo. This should hold you for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch02NDiG7M8

Sailor Kenshin
March 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM

Cooool! That's what my yard looks like...in MAY.

Laura N
March 12th, 2015, 05:13 PM
My internet was down. Possibly a preemptive strike, at the thought of 10 hours of drum roll.

Chrissy
March 12th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Borrowing another drum roll from Jon, it is my pleasure to announce that all mystery ink packages are now in the mail and on their way to MI5 participants, wheresoever they dwell.

That's a very good picture of a great looking bottle. If that is an ink bottle, what brand is it please? I don't recognize it.

Jon Szanto
March 12th, 2015, 05:28 PM
My internet was down. Possibly a preemptive strike, at the thought of 10 hours of drum roll.

H8r.

Laura N
March 12th, 2015, 06:08 PM

That's a very good picture of a great looking bottle. If that is an ink bottle, what brand is it please? I don't recognize it.

Aurora. Dawn with her rosy fingers, and all.

Neo
March 12th, 2015, 06:19 PM

That would be great to play for sleeping cats.......:thumb:

Alec_J
March 13th, 2015, 08:39 AM

The excitement builds! Will it arrive Saturday? Monday? I hope Saturday so I can start evaluation Sunday!

Thank you again Laura and all MI supporters! What a fun thing to be included in.

Chrissy
March 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Thank you. I have never seen one apart from pictures of full ones with ink in, so that's why I didn't recognise it.

Laura N
March 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Thank you. I have never seen one apart from pictures of full ones with ink in, so that's why I didn't recognise it.

I will admit that I'd never even noticed the Aurora bottle design, because it's always filled with blue or black ink, which makes it so dark. It really does look nice, and I'm glad you noticed.

Aurora is so restrained and sensible, making only two inks, both excellent. Just sticking with what they do well.

klpeabody
March 13th, 2015, 04:55 PM

I will admit that I'd never even noticed the Aurora bottle design, because it's always filled with blue or black ink, which makes it so dark. It really does look nice, and I'm glad you noticed.

Aurora is so restrained and sensible, making only two inks, both excellent. Just sticking with what they do well.

I agree. =)

klpeabody
March 13th, 2015, 04:59 PM

I knew that was an Aurora bottle!! I knew it!

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Sorry, it keeps running through my head:

"Temba, his arms wide."*

*Bonus points for someone to id the reference...

Laura N
March 13th, 2015, 06:02 PM

"Temba, his arms wide."*

I so don't know this, so I bet it's from tv. :)

klpeabody
March 13th, 2015, 06:19 PM

"Temba, his arms wide."*

I so don't know this, so I bet it's from tv. :)

It sounds very STAR TREK to me.

Just sayin'.

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2015, 07:06 PM

You'll have to do better than that. ;)

klpeabody
March 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM

You'll have to do better than that. ;)

OK, I will confess that at the outset, this sounded very Star Trek. I say that as having grown up on the first generation ST, and loved it.

OK, moving along, I am sort of, but not as, familiar with the TNG. I have it on good authority that this is likely a TNG reference which translates to mean "I give this to you". Which is followed by a "Temba at rest" reference, likely meaning "keep it'.

No?

Sailor Kenshin
March 13th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!

Shaka, when the walls fell!

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!

Shaka, when the walls fell!

Perfectly hit, but late by just a few minutes. You knew, though, you knew. However, I believe a consolation prize is in order:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs38/f/2008/348/9/8/Picard_Doth_Rocketh_Over_by_bthauronite.jpg

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2015, 10:57 PM
OK, moving along, I am sort of, but not as, familiar with the TNG. I have it on good authority that this is likely a TNG reference which translates to mean "I give this to you". Which is followed by a "Temba at rest" reference, likely meaning "keep it'.

No?

Close enough!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/079/a/4/so_much_win__by_seanguy4-d7azl0n.jpg

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2015, 10:59 PM
I should never have started that. I'd rather see Hawks references again, and I thought I'd never say that...

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Oh...don't get Laura going again. Talking about hawk and scifi ......remember the character hawk from buck Rodgers TV series?

alc3261
March 14th, 2015, 05:09 AM
MI5 arrived!!

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 05:10 AM
MI5 arrived!!

First impression?

alc3261
March 14th, 2015, 05:12 AM

Red Herring!!

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 05:14 AM
No way!

alc3261
March 14th, 2015, 05:18 AM
MI5 arrived!!

First impression?

It is Orange!! ?Iroshizuku??

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Nnnnoooooo! My luck...I'll get the black MI.

alc3261
March 14th, 2015, 05:46 AM

tandaina
March 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM

"Temba, his arms wide."*

STNG. Captain Picard in the episode where the race speaks in cultural metaphor.

Laura N
March 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Sadly, the Blackhawks didn't play last night, Jon. Today they are in San Jose, playing the Sharks at 1 pm your time. Ridiculous time. I can't believe this but I have to call a client during the first period, and drop off and pick up a child during the second. Color me not happy. Think of me today not as the cheery MI5, but sort of glowering like MI4. Hawks will probably lose anyway. Oooh, and the Sharks have one of my favorite goalies, Antti Niemi, because he was the Hawks goalie when they won the Stanley Cup in 2010.

Alright, we got Jon's Blackhawk news out of the way. Back to boring old ink.

Alc, I'm very glad yours arrived so quickly. MI4 took more than two weeks to get to you, right? The mails are completely random, it seems.

Unfortunately the rules of MI do not allow me to say anything about the brand of the ink. We're more focused on what everything thinks about the ink's properties, behavior, color, etc. not knowing what it is. Alas, it turns out that everyone likes to guess, so don't feel bad for mentioning a brand. It's surely my fault for calling it Mystery Ink, because mysteries seek solution. But if we could in the future avoid mentioning possible ink names I'd be grateful, because that will give future MI5 recipients a clean slate to work with, as it were. :)

And I'm always happy to collect guesses by PM or email. Sorry to seem like a meany school assistant principal. :)

Laura N
March 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM

Red Herring!!

Yes, but I admitted that. :)

alc3261
March 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Well behaved ink, no feathering or bleedthrough. Quite a bright and legible orange.
Some can be difficult to read, this isn't.

Sailor Kenshin
March 14th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Orange herring...

reprieve
March 15th, 2015, 06:27 AM

That is a lovely photo of a lovely ink bottle. I never would have guessed that it was an Aurora ink bottle!

reprieve
March 15th, 2015, 06:29 AM
MI5 is incredibly cheerful. Is there much shading? From Alc's photo, it looks like a saturated orange. Very pretty.

Laura N
March 15th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Well behaved ink, no feathering or bleedthrough. Quite a bright and legible orange.
Some can be difficult to read, this isn't.

MI5 is incredibly cheerful. Is there much shading? From Alc's photo, it looks like a saturated orange. Very pretty.

Yes, I agree! I just put in in a pen last night. It's very bright. And I see very nice shading on Clairefontaine Triomphe. I've only used it with the one pen and paper so far, so that's all I've got. I think its brightness may contribute to the legibility alc mentions.

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Yes, I agree! I just put in in a pen last night. It's very bright. And I see very nice shading on Clairefontaine Triomphe. I've only used it with the one pen and paper so far, so that's all I've got. I think its brightness may contribute to the legibility alc mentions.

I am really looking forward to receiving this one!!!

Orange and saturated = beating the winter blues. ;)

naimitsu
March 16th, 2015, 06:15 PM
So got the MI today and started playing with pens & inks instead of starting dinner (oops). So now I much on elk jerky as I write this review.

The MI is very bright, as others have pointed it out. It's a rich, vibrant orange without completely searing the retinas.
It definitely has nice shading on both Clairefontaine, Apica, and Tomoe River, but only with the dip nib. I tried both a 1.1mm Goulet nib and a Monteverde M nib, but the color was cheerfully blah out of the fountain pen.
I see no bleed through on Apica, Clairefontaine, Tomoe River, or 2 types of copy paper (the stuff I have at home is relatively thick, and I used my receipt from a notebook purchase).
The color fairly glows on the Tomoe River due to the dark halo at the edges of the letters.
I would not consider this an everyday color, but if I wanted to cheer someone up, I would reach for this in a heartbeat! It is definitely the best cheerful orange I have seen, and just for that, I would consider adding this to my rapidly growing inventory of inks!

Also, I have a small stash of orange samples, so I went ahead and inked them all for comparison. I am glad to say that it is not one I already have!

I've submitted my guess to Laura, so now we get to wait and see!

klpeabody
March 16th, 2015, 06:24 PM
My sample of MI5 arrived today! Woot!!

I'm still sidelined with that work project, but will try to get some photos up sometime in the next couple of days.

Sailor Kenshin
March 16th, 2015, 06:32 PM
My sample of MI5 arrived today! Woot!!

I'm still sidelined with that work project, but will try to get some photos up sometime in the next couple of days.

Me, too!

(Wow, it's BRIGHT.)

naimitsu
March 16th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'm waiting for everyone to get MI#5 before posting up pictures... I don't want to give too much away as the picture I have is of a bunch of orange (or what I thought was orange and turns out to be brown) samples.

Laura N
March 16th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Awesome review, naimitsu. I agree with the "very bright but not retina-searing" description. I must be lucky, because I get very nice shading with my Safari and the 1.1 nib. I do want to try it in a wetter pen. I've used it in a few letters so maybe when they arrive the recipients can chime in, too. Probably would help if I actually mail the letters now. :)

naimitsu
March 16th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I must be lucky, because I get very nice shading with my Safari and the 1.1 nib. I do want to try it in a wetter pen.

I think my issue is that the 1.1 seems to be quite dry/stingy. I'm working on it, but I only have half a clue on what I'm doing :-)

migo984
March 16th, 2015, 09:02 PM
MI5 has not arrived "Down Under" yet, but the postal service is dreadfully slow here sometimes. Serves me right for moving to such a warm, peaceful, beautiful, interesting, friendly, remote, part of the planet :)

migo984
March 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM
MI5 has not arrived "Down Under" yet, but the postal service is dreadfully slow here sometimes. Serves me right for moving to such a warm, peaceful, beautiful, interesting, friendly, remote, part of the planet :)

And just like that, 15 minutes later, the MI5 sample turns up in the mail box! I'll be trying it out later............ :)

ilangai
March 17th, 2015, 04:00 AM
Received a note from the mail man saying I have a package waiting for me at the post office.. As I'm not waiting for any new pen, I guess it is the MI5.
I'll have to wait for Friday to go pick it up [emoji53]

Alec_J
March 17th, 2015, 04:50 AM
My sample arrived last night! I inked 5 waiting pens and the result is....its orange! LOL! But you knew that much. I will attempt to photograph my review pages and post those up in the next day or so along with my first review. I only had a few minutes to play last night, and work beckons this morning :lazy2: I have not previously reviewed anything pen related so please be kind.

Chrissy
March 17th, 2015, 06:55 AM
My MI5 sample has safely landed. Thank you Laura. :)

Laura N
March 17th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Wow, the mails were so fast this time. We had good luck and fair winds.

naimitsu
March 17th, 2015, 07:22 PM
So I wanted to show MI5 versus the other orange inks I had without revealing the names of the inks, and it took me a day to figure out how. Out comes the DSLR and voila!
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17228&d=1426641628

migo984
March 17th, 2015, 09:59 PM
G'day from Australia!

Thanks to Laura for giving me the opportunity to try out MI5. This was a really interesting experience for me as I don't currently have my swatches with me, nor access to any of my inks. So it was kind of a double blind test. I did have an ink in mind and from memory I thought it was a similar shade of orange, with similar characteristics. Happily it turns out that I have access to a few of Murfie's orange ink samples here, including the one I thought was close to MI5. And yes, it's VERY close in shade to MI5 but I'm not 100% sure that it's a match.

I like this ink, but it isn't a stand-out "Must Buy" for me. I don't find it easy to read more than a few lines written in this very bright, almost fluorescent, shade of orange. I much prefer the darker orange inks, like CultPens Deep Dark Orange, or Diamine Autumn Oak, that veer towards brown.

(The pen used for my test was a Franklin-Christoph Model 27 with an 18k medium stub customised by Mike Masuyama)

Here are a couple of photos.

Jon Szanto
March 17th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Hehe... "Spray Tan"

Laura N
March 18th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Well, it looks like it's time for another update.

First and most important, you will be happy to hear that the Blackhawks won last night, and MI5 favorite Marian Hossa scored two goals for the Hawks. (In hockey, two goals is a lot, sort of like soccer/football.) Our Hawks beat the excellent NY Islanders, whose colors are orange and blue, and of course I thought "MI5" when I saw the Islanders's bright orange stripe. MI brings good luck.

Which reminds me, is anyone having a cruddy day? Does anyone need a lift? A reminder that whatever the day-to-day annoyances, aggravations and stresses, in the bigger picture we all are really very lucky. And that there are good people everywhere? If so, click this link (http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=770687), which is from "Blackhawks TV," but even if you are allergic to sports (cough, Jon, cough), this video doesn't really focus on that.

So, back to boring old ink.... :) No, just kidding. One thing I love about MI5 has been how many guesses I've been getting by PM! So cool. Some excellent guesses. In fact, someone guessed my very favorite orange ink. Since some folks can't try their ink till Friday or the weekend, I won't say anything specific about MI5. However, I will say generally that in my experience swabs can be a little deceptive, so do try the ink you think it might be, and check it out in the pen. :)

I'm going to try to find time today or tomorrow to put MI5 in a few additional pens, like Alec J.

Chrissy
March 18th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Get your sunglasses out. MI5 has arrived. Wow is this a bright orange or what?
It behaves well in my Lamy Nexx, on my smooth Xerox ColorPrint Paper, and dries quite quickly compared with some other inks I have tried.
Did I say it was bright? It surely is. Eye Popping!

Crazyorange
March 18th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Is this orange brighter than j herbin orange indein?

Laura N
March 18th, 2015, 10:54 AM

I've used the J. Herbin and don't recall it being like MI5.

MI5 is the brightest orange I can remember using. I'm not sure I can quantify that, and I'm going to try to test my recollection against some other oranges -- because I might be wrong (gasp) -- but it's the only orange I've ever used that made me say, "wow, this is bright." It's not the tone that sets this apart from other orange inks for me -- there are other similar oranges in tone -- it's the brightness. That's my sense of it, but with absolutely no evidence. Yet. :)

It made me think of Lamy and their neon fixation. Not that the ink is neon, but it's bright like the Lamy neon Safaris.

Sailor Kenshin
March 18th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Time for me to play, too!

Wow. Yup. Orange. Where are my sunglasses?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8572/16669616729_c3c7615fa8_z.jpg

You will see that the AS shows more burnt-orange and has much more shading. FG is notably darker and more pink. Glitterpreppyyellowbrown is just...odd, by comparison.

MI 5 writes smooth in the pen and dries quick enough for my southpaw-y-ness. It seemed to flow fairly well in this dryish italic Nemo, which, as a demonstrator, helps to show off the liquid Vitamin C-power of the Mystery Ink.

And now for the paper towel chroma.

Top: Apache Sunset
Middle left: Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki
Middle right: Preppy Yellowbrownwithcopperglitter
Bottom: Teh MYSTERY ink!

Don't they look like flowers? I have NO idea how that dark spot got onto the MI 5 'flower.' Probably a rogue microparticle of blue ink got jealous and flew right into the middle. Somehow.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7593/16668358970_05038f0391_z.jpg

I do have my suspects. Two of them. But I have been wrong with every. Single. Guess so far.

This is a wonderfully cheery ink for a chilly week in March when we are expecting TWO TO FOUR MORE INCHES OF SNOW. Will be using it to reply to some letters!

So thanks once again to our Queen of Mystery!

Chrissy
March 18th, 2015, 12:17 PM

This ink is brighter than everything. It's as bright as an orange highlighter pen

tandaina
March 18th, 2015, 12:59 PM
It doesn't look that bright in photos, but that's the problem with photographng ink!

naimitsu
March 18th, 2015, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Crazyorange;121291]Is this orange brighter than j herbin orange indein?

There's one orange ink that I think is brighter, but maybe because it lacks any sort of shading and it just sears my retinas!
The shading in MI5 makes it more readable to me :-)

Crazyorange
March 18th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Can any one post a writing sample of the two inks for comparison?

Laura N
March 18th, 2015, 01:53 PM
It doesn't look that bright in photos, but that's the problem with photographng ink!

So true. Part of what motivated klp and I to do this was how often we'd carefully analyze scans and photos online only to find the ink would be very different in real life.

I think Sailor's Kenshin's chromatography, especially the topmost splotch, really shows the brightness that I see.

Again, though, as everyone says, it's not the sort of brightness that hurts your eyes. It's hard to explain.

Laura N
March 18th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Once everyone gets a chance to try this, and we can reveal it, I'll post some comparisons.

migo984
March 18th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I think the 1st photo I posted (of my writIng with MI5) was pretty much exactly what the ink looked like to me IRL. It is the type of ink colour that is very much affected by the light conditions at the time. Under artificial light it changes & noticeably becomes more muted. The photo I took was outside, on a very sunny day, and the amount of sunlight around will have exacerbated the fluorescent nature of the ink. I find it not an easy ink to read under any circumstances though - quite uncomfortable.

Unlike everyone else I thought it was slow-drying & the temperature was 25C when I did the test, with low-ish humidity. That's a very interesting phenomena. I wonder why mine wouldn't dry?

Jon Szanto
March 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Unlike everyone else I thought it was slow-drying & the temperature was 25C when I did the test, with low-ish humidity. That's a very interesting phenomena. I wonder why mine wouldn't dry?

If ink dries fast in the northern hemisphere, it dries slowly in the southern. That's just science. C'mon, try to keep up.

:D

migo984
March 18th, 2015, 03:58 PM

If ink dries fast in the northern hemisphere, it dries slowly in the southern. That's just science. C'mon, try to keep up.

Ah, the Antipodean Theory of Weird :)

Alec_J
March 19th, 2015, 06:27 AM

You will see that the AS shows more burnt-orange and has much more shading. FG is notably darker and more pink. Glitterpreppyyellowbrown is just...odd, by comparison.

MI 5 writes smooth in the pen and dries quick enough for my southpaw-y-ness. It seemed to flow fairly well in this dryish italic Nemo, which, as a demonstrator, helps to show off the liquid Vitamin C-power of the Mystery Ink.

Don't they look like flowers? I have NO idea how that dark spot got onto the MI 5 'flower.' Probably a rogue microparticle of blue ink got jealous and flew right into the middle. Somehow.

I do have my suspects. Two of them. But I have been wrong with every. Single. Guess so far.

This is a wonderfully cheery ink for a chilly week in March when we are expecting TWO TO FOUR MORE INCHES OF SNOW. Will be using it to reply to some letters!

This may be a dumb question but how is the paper towel chroma done? Is it just a drop of ink on a dry paper towel or is the towel wet or treated special in any way?

Matt Armstrong has done something similar on his videos and I find it interesting to separate out the colors.

Thanks!
Alec

Alec_J
March 19th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Ah, the Antipodean Theory of Weird :)

I have found quite long dry times on Clairefontaine paper at least.

Sailor Kenshin
March 19th, 2015, 07:34 AM

This may be a dumb question but how is the paper towel chroma done? Is it just a drop of ink on a dry paper towel or is the towel wet or treated special in any way?

Matt Armstrong has done something similar on his videos and I find it interesting to separate out the colors.

Thanks!
Alec

I don't know how anyone else does it, but I put a piece of paper towel on a plastic tray so as not to mess up the desk, put a generous drop of ink on the towel, then immediately drop water over the ink. I let it dry, then scan it. Sometimes I send one as a pen pal tuck-in.

Give it a whirl. I find it to be loads of fun.

naimitsu
March 19th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I don't know how anyone else does it, but I put a piece of paper towel on a plastic tray so as not to mess up the desk, put a generous drop of ink on the towel, then immediately drop water over the ink. I let it dry, then scan it. Sometimes I send one as a pen pal tuck-in.

I've been tempted to do the chroma on some watercolor paper, just to see how it reacts, though I'm debating on how to do it. The way SK did it or the watercolor method of a water wash on the paper and then dropping the pigment on.

Sailor Kenshin
March 19th, 2015, 10:24 AM

I've been tempted to do the chroma on some watercolor paper, just to see how it reacts, though I'm debating on how to do it. The way SK did it or the watercolor method of a water wash on the paper and then dropping the pigment on.

If you do, please post the results. I have lots of w/c paper on hand.

Laura N
March 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I find I often do inadvertent paper towel chromatography while cleaning a pen. Couldn't be easier. :)

P.S. - great Blackhawks-Rangers game last night!

ilangai
March 20th, 2015, 01:46 AM
OK.. Finally went to the post office.
At the last few days I got a new flight mission from work (now to Hamburg, Germany) this coming Sunday, and I had to get all sort off.
At a certain point I was afraid I wouldn't have time for MI5.. But the job had to be done.

So.. Orange, everyone already said, also that it is bright. I found it hard to get the right fluorescent effect of the ink in the photo, but I got it as close as I could.
This color is beyond a computer screen gamut, so it is impossible to get it as is.. Just know it is bright.

The ink had medium drying time, and until it dried completely it is hard to read. But it has a lot of depth, and writing with broad, and I guess a kind of italic could make this a great ink for titles or certain points you wish to emphasize.

I'm still figuring out if I liked it, but I can tell you it was a joy playing with it..

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/20/04c167807db2b061336ae5412c7ed200.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
March 20th, 2015, 05:12 AM
I can tell you MI 5 isn't my first suspect. Tested 'em side-by-side. ;)

mustud52
March 20th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Hmmm...not sure if I am ready for an orange ink yet. But it looks like it would be fun with a reasonably fine flex nib. Don't think I like it in broad.

Definitely a worthy MI to tease us with, Laura.

Laura N
March 20th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Ilan, that's awesome. On my monitor, your photo, especially the swab, really shows the ink color nicely. It looks like that for me, only a bit more vibrant in person. (The "turn it up to 11" effect.) And thanks for letting us know that the color is beyond the computer screen gamut. I wish I had your photo processing skills and knowledge about this stuff. :)

I've got to put my swabs together for this thread. Sadly I won't have Ilan to make them look good. But I'll compare as many as I can.

Is there anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to try this yet? I'm pondering when we can reveal, because this one comes with a good story I'm dying to tell. :)

Chrissy
March 20th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I had a look at my scan by comparison to the actual ink colour, and I didn't think it made the ink look quite as bright as it actually is. So I've done a few shade and colour changes in Photoshop to see if I could improve it. I still don't think I got it exactly spot on, but I have uploaded the scan after more adjustments.

Some scans look fine straight away, and others need various tweaks to get them right. This one was one of the more tricky colours to match.

To me it almost has a peach shade added to it that other orange inks don't have.

Laura N
March 20th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Okay, by my count, I think we've got two people still waiting to try the ink. So fun!

Here are some swabs I made. The color is reasonably accurate but I can't convey the brightness in a photo. The two swabs immediately flanking MI5 are, respectively, one participant's guess (just above MI5), and an ink that our mysterious MI5 benefactor suggested could be close (just below). The other two are just nice orange inks. In real life, the top two swabs are the softest. And in real life the two swabs below MI5 also are very vivid, with the bottom swab rivaling MI5 in intensity on a swab. I think I have a theory for that.

As I always, apologies for the execrable quality of the photo. :)

Alec_J
March 20th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I will do my best to post my stuff tonight. My aopologies, my wife has been a bit under the weather. I have many more excuses if necessary! :facepalm:

Laura N
March 20th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I will do my best to post my stuff tonight. My aopologies, my wife has been a bit under the weather. I have many more excuses if necessary! :facepalm:

No apologies needed. I just managed to get the ink into a second and third pen today, and I've had it much longer than anyone else.

Cob
March 20th, 2015, 02:08 PM

No apologies needed. I just managed to get the ink into a second and third pen today, and I've had it much longer than anyone else.

Crikey! Sounds like me!

Cob

Crazyorange
March 21st, 2015, 04:32 PM
I got a letter today....written with the MI5. Boy that's bright ink!

migo984
March 21st, 2015, 05:05 PM

And I also posted a letter to you on Friday using MI5. I could only use it for one side though, as it was too bright for my eyes & made writing uncomfortable...

Neo
March 21st, 2015, 05:11 PM

And I also posted a letter to you on Friday using MI5. I could only use it for one side though, as it was too bright for my eyes & made writing uncomfortable...

:spy: Would wearing sunglasses help?

Crazyorange
March 21st, 2015, 05:17 PM
First migo needs to send sun in the letter. We got snow last nite. :( Today was gray skies. So the ink was easy to read ;)

Empty_of_Clouds
March 21st, 2015, 11:19 PM
I guess this is finished now? Would have liked to have been considered (although I fully expect to be last on anyone's list of volunteers). Missed the thread until now. Will there be a another?

migo984
March 21st, 2015, 11:28 PM
I guess this is finished now? Would have liked to have been considered (although I fully expect to be last on anyone's list of volunteers). Missed the thread until now. Will there be a another?

Why would you be "last on anyone's list"?

I'm sure there will be another MI soon as a number of 'benefactors' have contributed towards inks/postage. Laura does a random draw if there are more volunteers than samples.

Jon Szanto
March 21st, 2015, 11:47 PM

Indeed, as migo said, all are welcome! This is #5 of the "Mystery Ink" series of threads, and there will be no doubt more. Keep your eyes open, and for a few days they solicit volunteers; if more than the small number ask in, a random drawing is held - you've got as good a chance as *anyone*. Lots of fun - go check out the other MI threads as well, to see how it all gets played out...

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2015, 12:27 AM

I guess because it is mostly true?

Jon Szanto
March 22nd, 2015, 01:22 AM

Then revel in the opportunity to take part in an event where it is impossible to be in that position: in essence, we're all first, and we're all last, and the ones who get the ink are just recipients of random good fortune. And the next round is equally egalitarian.

I'll make it a point to send you a PM next time a MI thread starts up. :)

migo984
March 22nd, 2015, 01:23 AM

Am sitting here, bemused :noidea:

You're saying that whenever you try to join in an activity on FPG, that you are deliberately omitted or left till last? Seems strange as I find this community very inclusive.

You can discount me from your definition of "anyone".

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2015, 01:52 AM
Ah, Marie, I was being generalist. You certainly don't count in the definition of "anyone"! :)

I haven't really tried to join in any activity here - apart from the occasional discussion. I am reluctant to join in, there's a terrific sense of not really belonging. It's why I don't post very much too. That and the fact that I have very little of value to offer in return.

Crazyorange
March 22nd, 2015, 04:44 AM
Ah, Marie, I was being generalist. You certainly don't count in the definition of "anyone"! :)

I haven't really tried to join in any activity here - apart from the occasional discussion. I am reluctant to join in, there's a terrific sense of not really belonging. It's why I don't post very much too. That and the fact that I have very little of value to offer in return.

Well here's your chance to switch it up. Keep your eyes open for MI6.

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 06:37 AM

Would love to see you participate in MI6! Keep any eye out on the forum, as Laura will begin a new thread when the next mystery ink begins.

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 07:02 AM
Here's my thoughts on Mi5. Pardon the indoor photos (again), but as of Friday it was still snowing here (again). :smow:

Been sidelined with a work project, so sorry it has taken me a little longer to post my write up. I've included a photo which includes my written thoughts, but figured I would include a transcription of that here, in the event that my handwriting is on the illegible side.

"Playing with MI5 this evening while enjoying Alfred Hitchock's "The Birds". (MI5+Hitchcock = Interesting combo?)

Sampled this ink in a wet writing LAMY M, dry-ish B, and normal-to-wet writing 1.1. I see what others mean by *bright*, because it IS. As I tend to dabble in more muted shades, on the whole, this is *way* outside my comfort zone. It's all good, though; that's what MI is for, right? The orange inks on-hand equal exactly one, for comparison. The two are world's apart. What I like about MI5 is the slight golden appearance. There is a fire-y appearance to the words on the page.

I have NO guesses as to what this could be.

Reminds both me and my husband of an orange creamsicle."

Paper used here is Stilman & Birn Epsilon. Also, as others mentioned, I did find MI5 to be on the dry-ish side. I like this ink best coming from the broad and italic nibs. I also found that MI5 went down on the page a little lighter, and dried a bit darker. I did not conduct any water resistance tests.

This ink makes me wish that I had a good flexible nib pen handy. I think a flex nib could really make this one shine.

Again, sorry for the lacking photos. I wish I had more time to catch better ones. Thanks everyone for your patience!! I'm looking forward to the big reveal.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
^^Those are great photos!

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 08:26 AM
^^Those are great photos!

Aw, thanks! =D

Sailor Kenshin
March 22nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
I have two remaining suspects.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 09:13 AM

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

The second quote you'll find possibly verbatim in the first post of MI3, MI4 and here (MI5). Klp and I really, really mean this. Which is why we repeat it every time. We love new participants. And veteran participants. We love everyone who wants to participate. This is meant to include everyone, and everyone is welcome, and I think all of here who participate love that about it. Please don't feel shy about throwing your hat in the ring. It's purely for fun and the only preconditions are that you want to do it, and you have time to do it.

But I do suspect I know what Cryptos may be getting at. There is a tendency on any forum to "get to know" some people more than others. And some people PM each other, or pen pal with each other, or get together with each other in person because they live nearby. And some of those people address their pen pal friends more familiarly. (Is that a word? Late night last night. I need my coffee.).

That's totally normal. But people notice that. Heck, I do. (Actually, for example, you, yourself, Cryptos, have referred to "Marie" here in a way that suggests that you know her.)

So maybe if you're a sensitive person you could start to wonder? I totally get that.

So let me say again, as one of the two people who send out the MI samples: MI is not like that. Everyone is welcome here, everyone belongs here. If you participate, you'll get to spend time here with the nicest people ever. Well, also me. But every rose has its thorns and all. :)

Neo
March 22nd, 2015, 09:30 AM
So let me say again, as one of the two people who send out the MI samples: MI is not like that. Everyone is welcome here, everyone belongs here. If you participate, you'll get to spend time here with the nicest people ever. Well, also me. But every rose has its thorns and all. :)

Laura is one of the nicest people you can interact with.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Alright guys, we are in the throes of March Madness* at MI Midwest.

So I'm going to throw out a few of my impressions of MI5. I've now used it in three pens. I actually found one pen, a Montblanc with a medium nib, where it looks less bright and vivid than in my other pens. That's the pen I tend to prefer it in. In my Lamy Safari with a medium stub, it's nice but the brightness still almost overwhelms me after a page of it. In a wet-writing modern Pelikan Toledo with an EF nib, it was darker, more saturated and brighter, and I couldn't take it even in small doses. In that Pelikan it seemed like a not-found-in-nature bright orange you'd see in children's toys and Gatorade. Some inks are growers, in that I like them more as I use them more. With other inks, the more I use it, the more I decide it's not for me.

I've also inked up two alternate orange inks in the same Safari and Pelikan. When we're all done testing MI5, and I can spill the beans, I'll talk about how those other orange inks are different than MI5.

*For those not from the US, there is a televised annual basketball tournament for the men's college teams, starting with 64 teams, and nicknamed "March Madness." It's super fun every year and allows much of America to engage in (technically illegal) sports betting pools at school or office. I think people like it because everyone lives near or has ties to colleges, and has colleges they dislike for no real reason. Also the tourney spotlights schools that much of America doesn't know, like this year's wonderful Georgia State. And features plucky underdogs beating overwhelming favorites. (Like in 1993, when the University of California Golden Bears, led by Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray, upset two-time defending champion Duke.) Also, at the end, there's the One Shining Moment video montage to enjoy.

Alec_J
March 22nd, 2015, 06:20 PM
MI5 fans, here is my very first review of anything FP related. Please be kind! LOL!

Wichita just beat KU ..... Why not? My New Lamy 2000 that I just purchased, and arrived in the mail today, is already in the box packed for return...:cry: Its been a rough day! LOL!

I scanned these pages and the scans appear on my monitor much darker than they are in life. The color I am seeing from these scans is not near as cheery as the actual ink. Please refer to others photos for a more accurate representation of the color.

Here are my findings. Please remember I am a neophyte with very limited experience in this world. There are many more qualified people to give opinions. This has been a very fun exercise actually, and I am very thankful to Laura N and the contributors to the MI project. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way:

I used Clairfontaine 90gsm grid paper.

Dry Time: I found very long dry times on Clairefontaine. On cheap copy paper it was significantly reduced as the copy paper is more absorbent.

Shading: I found this ink to have some shading but very limited really compared to other inks I've used. The shading that came through on the scan appears more pronounced in the scan than in life.

Saturation: I felt this was a moderately saturated ink. On a 1 - 10 scale I would give it a 5 - 6.

Feathering: I saw no feathering even on cheap copy paper with a medium nib Jinhao X750.

Showthrough/Ghosting: There was virtually none on the Clairfontaine and some ghosting on copy paper.

Flow/Wetness: I felt this ink was moderately wet in flow. Not gushing but not dry either. I felt it was very predictable in different pens. It flowed much the same in all of my pens.

Alec_J
March 22nd, 2015, 06:22 PM
Alright guys, we are in the throes of March Madness* at MI Midwest.

So I'm going to throw out a few of my impressions of MI5. I've now used it in three pens. I actually found one pen, a Montblanc with a medium nib, where it looks less bright and vivid than in my other pens. That's the pen I tend to prefer it in. In my Lamy Safari with a medium stub, it's nice but the brightness still almost overwhelms me after a page of it. In a wet-writing modern Pelikan Toledo with an EF nib, it was darker, more saturated and brighter, and I couldn't take it even in small doses. In that Pelikan it seemed like a not-found-in-nature bright orange you'd see in children's toys and Gatorade. Some inks are growers, in that I like them more as I use them more. With other inks, the more I use it, the more I decide it's not for me.

I've also inked up two alternate orange inks in the same Safari and Pelikan. When we're all done testing MI5, and I can spill the beans, I'll talk about how those other orange inks are different than MI5.

*For those not from the US, there is a televised annual basketball tournament for the men's college teams, starting with 64 teams, and nicknamed "March Madness." It's super fun every year and allows much of America to engage in (technically illegal) sports betting pools at school or office. I think people like it because everyone lives near or has ties to colleges, and has colleges they dislike for no real reason. Also the tourney spotlights schools that much of America doesn't know, like this year's wonderful Georgia State. And features plucky underdogs beating overwhelming favorites. (Like in 1993, when the University of California Golden Bears, led by Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray, upset two-time defending champion Duke.) Also, at the end, there's the One Shining Moment video montage to enjoy.

Beautiful Picture!

Alec_J
March 22nd, 2015, 06:28 PM

@Cryptos I am VERY new here and have been nothing but welcomed with open arms. The members here have taken me under their wing so to speak, and been friendly and helpful. I believe that they will treat you exactly the same. I would recommend you participate with friendliness and humility and it will be repaid by other members in spades. It has been for me. JMHO
Alec

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
Great review, Alec!

So, does anyone want to know the name of this ink? It will take me a few minutes to tell this story, but stay tuned.

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM
Great review, Alec!

So, does anyone want to know the name of this ink? It will take me a few minutes to tell this story, but stay tuned.

Yes, can't wait to hear it!

Crazyorange
March 22nd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Waiting......

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 07:51 PM
Sorry, lots going on! Post one of two.

MI5 is Montblanc Gandhi ink. That was a limited edition ink from 2009, issued in conjunction with the controversial limited edition Gandhi pens. Unlike the pens, the ink was popular and has long been sold out. But the wonderful Jon Szanto had some left, and he very kindly donated it to MI.

As an aside, we have been offered inks before, but we have always declined with gratitude, because the one thing we have is inks. We have veritable shelves of ink lined up and ready to go. We made an exception here, only because it was a chance for people to try a rare and unavailable ink. And we would have felt bad denying that to everyone. I knew the identity of the ink, but klp was only told that it was special. I’d like to thank Jon for giving us all the chance to experience this.

Crazyorange
March 22nd, 2015, 07:55 PM
Thank you jon and Laura for keeping the MI going.

Neo
March 22nd, 2015, 07:57 PM

:rockon:

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:02 PM
So, now that we know more about MI5, or Gandhi, I want to say a little more.

It’s not what I would have expected, to be honest. For me, it behaves beautifully. I found the dry time normal, maybe a tiny bit long but nothing I would have noticed on my own. It cleaned up so easily with only water. It was lubricated and flowed well in all my three pens. But the color I found a little too bright for my tastes. I found it much brighter in real life than other orange inks I’ve used in fountain pens. And what’s so confounding, but was so educational for me, is that the most notable characteristic of the ink — that brightness — does not come through in photos or scans online. It’s just really hard to judge this ink from how it looks online.

Let’s talk about the guesses I got. The two most guessed inks were Diamine Blaze Orange and Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. I have no idea about the Diamine, but the Mandarin is one of my two favorite orange inks. I actually own a bottle. I use it a lot, in various pens. So when I got the guesses, I was taken aback. Because, were you to ask me what I like about Mandarin, I’d say, it’s a softer orange with great shading. I would never use the word “soft” about MI5.

In fact, wondering how I could have missed this before, I put Mandarin in my Pelikan pen after cleaning out MI5 and drying it overnight. In that Pelikan, MI5 was eye-piercingly bright. Whereas Mandarin is indeed yellower and softer. It’s bright, I guess, too, when you really look at it. But that’s not the dominant impression. But if you only look at swatches online, Mandarin does look so similar. In my swatch comparison, which I’ll repost below, Mandarin is swatch number two, just above MI5.

Jon said he’d read that Montblanc Ink of Joy, another limited edition ink (I think from 2011) was supposed to be the same as Gandhi. Hard to believe from Ms. Over Inked here, but I happen to own Ink of Joy. That is swatch number four on our comparison, and it is clearly darker when swabbed. I put Ink of Joy into the Safari after cleaning out Gandhi. And in the Safari, Ink of Joy remains distinct. It is a wetter ink, also darker, and writes a broader line than Gandhi. It’s easier to read. There’s less shading, really hardly any shading. I’d say it’s a more conventional orange, but I like it much better. Again, it’s bright, if you really look at it, but you don’t see it and immediately think “bright.”

I think it’s probably no coincidence that the Gandhi looks most attractive to me, and least bright, in my Montblanc 146 with medium nib. It most approaches a nice, normal orange ink in that pen — it’s softer, less bright and it’s closer to Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. But, write a page of a letter with it, and it's still a bit bright.

Briefly about the other swatches. Swatch number one is my other favorite orange ink, the gorgeous Caran D’Ache Saffron, which even in a swatch you can see has shading to die for and a different tone. It is also in real life not bright. Bless you for your subdued beauty, CdA Saffron. Swatch number five is Sailor Jentle Apricot, which I had a sample of, and many people like, but never really lit my fire. In truth, as swatches, Ink of Joy and Sailor Jentle Apricot look even brighter than MI5. But not in a pen. As Chrissy said, MI5/Gandhi somehow looks brighter in a pen than any other orange ink ever. :)

Interestingly, my 14-year-old looked at the swatches in real life and immediately said her favorites were inks four and five, the two brightest. Third choice was MI5/Gandhi. So I think there’s a reason so many bright cheery orange inks are on the market. They are eye-catching. She also helpfully pointed out that my handwriting is illegible, so let me type the names here: from top to bottom, Caran D'Ache Saffron; Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin; Montblanc Gandhi (misspelled); Montblanc Ink of Joy; Sailor Jentle Apricot.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:02 PM

And klp. She's the brains. Jon's the beauty. I'm the blabber. :)

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Also, I forgot to say how thrilled I was to get to try this. It was such a treat to try an ink I'd heard so much about. Jon did such a wonderful and generous thing, and I am so grateful.

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM

And klp. She's the brains. Jon's the beauty. I'm the blabber. :)

Lol. You are too kind. Thank you.

Crazyorange
March 22nd, 2015, 08:08 PM
Ha ha ....you guys make a great crew.

Ok...blown away ...MB makes such a bright ink. I have to read that twice...yes MB. Hum new respect for the company.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM

Ok...blown away ...MB makes such a bright ink. I have to read that twice...yes MB. Hum new respect for the company.

I know! You got my letter, so you saw it. Did you think, oh that's a staid old ink from boring old Montblanc?

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM
Thank you, Jon, for your generosity. I really appreciate the gesture, and I am glad for the opportunity to try this one.

Crazyorange
March 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM

I know! You got my letter, so you saw it. Did you think, oh that's a staid old ink from boring old Montblanc?

No I didn't. I still can't believe MB made such a bright ink.

I hate to say this....I disliked the brightness of the ink. Hard on my eyes. These type of bright inks usual appeal to me, but I'm finding bright inks hard to write with. My eyes get tired looking at it, even with drawing zentangles.

migo984
March 22nd, 2015, 08:19 PM

I hate to say this....I disliked the brightness of the ink. Hard on my eyes. These type of bright inks usual appeal to me, but I'm finding bright inks hard to write with. My eyes get tired looking at it, even with drawing zentangles.

Have to agree with Crazyorange. I really didn't like writing with the ink. And I assume you've all seen the latest Mb LE - Pink Ink?!! That's bright too.

And wait till the Lamy Neon Lime ink comes out in April.......
Yikes :puke:

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:23 PM

Have to agree with Crazyorange. I really didn't like writing with the ink. And I assume you've all seen the latest Mb LE - Pink Ink?!! That's bright too.
Yikes :puke:

I ended up not loving it either. Like you two, I found it too bright for my tastes, even in the MB pen in which it was less bright. I haven't seen the MB Pink in real life, but I think someone posted about it here a month or so ago, and I was not attracted to the photos I saw online.

Laura N
March 22nd, 2015, 08:24 PM
Klp and I were just saying what a good MI this turned out to be. I feel like I learned so much.

klpeabody
March 22nd, 2015, 08:55 PM
Klp and I were just saying what a good MI this turned out to be. I feel like I learned so much.

I did, too, Laura. I think this was the first time that I observed how different one ink could look in every single review. And, frankly, I have never thought about orange ink so much as I did with this round of Mystery Ink. I feel like I got a little bit of an education with this one.

reprieve
March 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM

When the others say that everyone and anyone is welcome, they truly mean it. Mystery Ink has been a persistent spot of positivity and generosity and light and happiness. Honestly, it's the only reason I'm still reading and posting to this forum. I would encourage anyone to toss his or her name into the hat and I would encourage anyone to participate. It's tons of fun and you'll learn a lot and you'll get to experiment with some inks that you probably (almost certainly) wouldn't have tried on your own. Mystery Ink is its own little community in a way, yes, but it's one that is genuinely open to new members and new perspectives; you won't be censured or censored here regardless of whether you've tried a few inks or a few thousand inks and regardless of whether you love Mystery Ink or hate it. So welcome, welcome, Cryptos, and I hope you'll join in in the next round if only to prove to yourself that you do belong here and that you do have something valuable to offer up.

Alec_J
March 22nd, 2015, 09:28 PM
Thank you, Jon, for your generosity. I really appreciate the gesture, and I am glad for the opportunity to try this one.

Agree 100%. Thank you Jon for sharing something so unavailable and unique! My sincerest gratitude.

Jon Szanto
March 22nd, 2015, 10:14 PM
Well, well, well. The cat's out of the bag. Or case, as it were.

It dawned on me that I might be able to aid in the edumacation of inknowledge, and so I started rummaging around Szanto Manor. Damn, this place needs a butler, stat! In any event, after carrumbling through all manner of bulkage, I came across an old case. I figured "I better open this..."

http://i.imgur.com/vaoad.gif

And there it was: the answer to the question that no one in their right mind would dare to ask - "What should we put up for Mystery Ink No. Five???" (Actually, I don't think anyone was thinking that, but I digress.) As I gazed upon that ink, I thought to myself "Yup, I remember getting that in a semi-demi-trade for gawd-knows-what, and then wondering, after I tried writing with it "What will I ever do with this?"" (Which led to nest actual quote marks.

It had to go. But it had to go for a good cause. I made myself a cuppa and started to think (even though that is usually rather painful)...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lod7if8MFD1qe0eclo1_r7_500.gif

It dawned on me: poor Laura!, poor KLP!, poor Crazy! (et al) I could almost feel them staring at me, imploring me to give it up for the cause...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc3435xRpJ1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

Sure, why not?! To be honest, my thoughts were pretty much in line with the others: this ink, FOR WRITING (see below), is just way too hard on the eyes. And I agree: it is pretty hard to bring that across on screen. You'll just have to believe us about the retina-searing, insane giddiosity of this color. Would we lie?

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lasmpzzeeO1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

Here's the deal: most of us write with our pens. I mean that: WRITE. We make words on paper out of little things called letters, and we do it for eyeballs to look at. This is not good with Montblanc Gandhi (notice how I haven't weighed in AT ALL about the original controversy this ink inspired?). However, there are a smaller subset of people who are both artistically inclined and utilize pens and inks at part of their toolbox. I can very, very much see this ink as an accent color, a highlight, or other small but important part of an overall picture.

But I am not that person. I am no artist. I shouldn't have that ink, and it should do something else. So it became MI5. The fact of the matter is that I really don't have - On Purpose - inks in this chroma range. Lots of blacks-blues-greens-reds-browns, but no pinks-yellows-oranges (well, one or two) because I simply wouldn't use them. Well, maybe on a custom birthday card for some youngster, but I'll survive. Don't want to scare the urchin.

So there you have it. I can't add any pics of the ink because I gave it all away, thought I'm more than happy to share with those of you in the sampling. Hard to sit back while it played out. My moment in the sun, my 15 seconds of fame, and now I'll log off and entertain myself, happy in the knowledge that somewhere, someplace, someone is screaming at the top of their lungs "Holy shit, that stuff is brighter than the sun going nova!!"

Don't worry about me. I know how to amuse myself...

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbu9r2gByw1qe0eclo1_500.gif

(My thanks to Laura, for being such a great partner in all this. I really, really did try to bulletproof the bottle I sent the ink in, and even then we had some spillage. Hopefully enough got out. Thanks, Laura, and the MI5 crew, for keeping smiles on our faces during a rough patch. http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/flower.gif)

migo984
March 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM
I still think the closest match is Toucan Orange.......

Chrissy
March 23rd, 2015, 03:42 AM
I must admit I'm surprised. I was so confident it was Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin because I received a sample of that from Goulet's November Ink Drop and swab sampled it on a piece of paper with all of the other inks, as there were several orange inks in the same sample set.

For me MI5 looked the same in the sample tube, it behaved the same, i.e. it didn't 'stick' itself to the inside of the tube differently. I swabbed it and it looked identical, I even wrote with them both and they looked the same.

The other amazing thing in this is that somewhere in a box, lurking in a wardrobe, I have 3 or 4 boxed and sealed bottles of Mb Gandhi, and I never even considered it was anything like MI5.

Either I must be getting old or I'm losing my marbles or something.

Anyway, thank you so much Laura and Jon for making MI5 such an interesting and well-discussed MI. I really appreciate your great generosity, efforts and time.
Long live MI :grouphug:

Sailor Kenshin
March 23rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
Sorry, lots going on! Post one of two.

MI5 is Montblanc Gandhi ink. That was a limited edition ink from 2009, issued in conjunction with the controversial limited edition Gandhi pens. Unlike the pens, the ink was popular and has long been sold out. But the wonderful Jon Szanto had some left, and he very kindly donated it to MI.

As an aside, we have been offered inks before, but we have always declined with gratitude, because the one thing we have is inks. We have veritable shelves of ink lined up and ready to go. We made an exception here, only because it was a chance for people to try a rare and unavailable ink. And we would have felt bad denying that to everyone. I knew the identity of the ink, but klp was only told that it was special. I’d like to thank Jon for giving us all the chance to experience this.

Yaaaaay! Wrong again! Totally!

At first, I thought, Chesterfield Fire Opal, but I tested it alongside, and believe it or not, Fire Opal is MORE orange. Then I guessed JH Orange Indienne, but didn't have a sample. Next, Edelstein (Mandarin, is it?) but ditto....

So now I have a sample of a totally cool and RARE UNAVAILABLE ink.

Awesome.

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 06:33 AM
Yup....brighter than the sun going nova.....well put jon.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 06:38 AM
Which reminds me, thank you, Sailor Kenshin, that I have J. Herbin Orange Indien in converter form, so I will open one, hopefully not spraying it all over the kitchen, and swab it next to the Gandhi.

That may be take a little while, since we woke up today to a lovely white Christmas. So festive and seasonal. Although it does make photography a little harder. What? Wait, no? It's spring? Not Christmas Day? Inconceivable.

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
That white stuff is never going away.
I have orange indein and checked it against your letter....its a darker orange relative to Gandhi.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 06:48 AM
I have orange indein and checked it against your letter....its a darker orange relative to Gandhi.

And do I remember correctly that it's not supernova?

Cob
March 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
Which reminds me, thank you, Sailor Kenshin, that I have J. Herbin Orange Indien in converter form, so I will open one, hopefully not spraying it all over the kitchen, and swab it next to the Gandhi.

That may be take a little while, since we woke up today to a lovely white Christmas. So festive and seasonal. Although it does make photography a little harder. What? Wait, no? It's spring? Not Christmas Day? Inconceivable.

I recall that in 2005 - 9th April, I was living in France and that day it snowed heavily for 27 hours. "C'est incroyable!"* everybody said - and in Haute Savoie they were very used to the white stuff!

Cob

* "It's unbelievable"

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 07:44 AM

And do I remember correctly that it's not supernova?

Yes more muted.

Sailor Kenshin
March 23rd, 2015, 09:39 AM

Ohhhh maaaaannnnn....that's even later in the season than us. :(

Ps: Someone had given me a small sample of Orange Indien during InCo 2014, and I used it all that month. Found the swatch. It is indeed more muted. And a touch darker, but mostly more muted. It struck me as bright at the time.

ilangai
March 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
After hours of flying, fell asleep so tiredly and working.. Finally had the time to view what MI5 was all about.. And I have to thank you all for the chance to try this ink..
I have the Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin, so immediately I knew that wasn't the one, and for some reason I didn't really care what was it.. Really.
This mission was one of the best experiences I had here at FPGeeks.
For me it is still an Orange ink with a story (and a good one), and I got a different perspective on inks in general from this..

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 03:34 PM

:smow:

Did all the new snow melt yet?

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 04:39 PM
Not here. Still on the ground. Hope it melts as the week will get warmer.

klpeabody
March 23rd, 2015, 04:40 PM
This is the first chance that I've had to respond since Jon's epic history of MI5, now fondly known as MB Gandhi. Jon, I always enjoy your use of pictorial "flair" in your forum posts. Unfortunately, when you posted this, it was approx 12:30-ish my time (East Coast) and I was in bed for the night. I quickly read it on my phone though, and wanted to reply at that moment, but convinced myself to try to get some sleep, as it was already way past my bedtime. Of course, after I return from work today, I see that all this discussion, and wish I had a little bit more flexibility with internet usage at work. Oh well.

Anyway, thank you for giving us the backstory, Jon. It was good fun to try this one. I now wish that I had a larger hoard of orange inks to compare this one to. The one orange ink in my possession is a recent purchase, Diamine Autumn Oak, which is the comparison in my MI review. (I like Autumn Oak a lot by the way!) I suppose what I take away from this MI is that I need to expand my horizons a bit and try more orange. Wondering if anyone might want to do an ink sample trade and send me some orange samples. For example: JH Orange Indien, Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin - this is all like greek to me. I have no knowledge of them whatsoever. I have plenty to share. Hopefully, I might have some inks that interest someone. Please feel free to PM me if you might be interested in trading some inky goodness.

Sorry to hear you received snow today, Laura. =(
As for us, no new snow today. Just cold.
It IS spring, right? Did the groundhog come out of his hole this year and give us the proverbial "bird"? ;-)
I'm so over winter. For the second winter in a row. In case anyone is keeping track.

Sorry for the overly verbose post, but this is still the "peace, love and happiness" MI, right? LOL.

Chrissy
March 23rd, 2015, 04:50 PM
....we woke up today to a lovely white Christmas. So festive and seasonal. Although it does make photography a little harder. What? Wait, no? It's spring? Not Christmas Day? Inconceivable.

Huh? I am sorry to hear that Laura. Do you regularly get snow in March? :faint:

Fingers crossed and touching wood, I think we have probably had all of the snow we're getting this year and it wasn't much to speak about really, so I was surprised to hear that you had some. I hope yours melts soon.

I have lived for many, (many,) years and I do remember seeing snow fall on my birthday, and that's nearly the end of April. So I suppose anything is possible where the weather is concerned. :blink:

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 05:09 PM
It was a snowstorm, with car crashes and everything (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ced16e62e07e4c4fb56d6f5f57271a8a/15-inches-snow-midwest-last-blast-winter). I think we have six inches. I don't know exactly. I refuse to shovel it. Instead I'm giving it withering looks. We'll see if it can stand up to that.

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
It was a snowstorm, with car crashes and everything (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ced16e62e07e4c4fb56d6f5f57271a8a/15-inches-snow-midwest-last-blast-winter). I think we have six inches. I don't know exactly. I refuse to shovel it. Instead I'm giving it withering looks. We'll see if it can stand up to that.

Drive carefully, safety first.

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 05:14 PM

Give it the evil eye. [emoji35]

Jon Szanto
March 23rd, 2015, 06:33 PM
I can only try to warm you guys up: day off of work, so we made it a "staycay" day of just bopping around for fun. Spent most of it in La Jolla, which included a trip to Warwick's (the only store in town that actually has a selection of nice fountain pens and inks) and lunch at a favorite spot, the rooftop patio at George's At The Cove:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/20150323_135551_zpsni0ojy9s.jpg

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
Humph. Sending jon the evil snow eye. [emoji35]

klpeabody
March 23rd, 2015, 06:39 PM

Right! ;-)

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM

How about we have the inaugural MI meeting at his place next January? :fans:

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM

How about we have the inaugural MI meeting at his place next January? :fans:

I'm in.

Jon Szanto
March 23rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
/deleted

Sonofabitch, posted in the wrong MI thread!!

mustud52
March 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM
/deleted

Your life is very stressful, Jon. May I suggest a month devoted to MB Royal Blue? You will feel totally refreshed at the end of it.

As an aside (to my aside), I have been using Pelikan Royal Blue for the last few days and really enjoying it. Such lubricity, such purity, such pleasure of the simpler things in life. Ah...who needs a holiday.

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
/deleted

Your life is very stressful, Jon. May I suggest a month devoted to MB Royal Blue? You will feel totally refreshed at the end of it.

As an aside (to my aside), I have been using Pelikan Royal Blue for the last few days and really enjoying it. Such lubricity, such purity, such pleasure of the simpler things in life. Ah...who needs a holiday.

It sounds like you may not have snow where you live.

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 08:21 PM
/deleted

:pound:

mustud52
March 23rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
/deleted

Up the country yesterday. A lot of bulls around.

naimitsu
March 24th, 2015, 08:27 AM
So cruel! When I finally find a bright orange that I like, I can't get it :-(
Oh well... that just means I can go ahead and continue playing with different inks! :)