PDA

View Full Version : Just how big is the Collier??

markt
August 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I have been looking at the Edison Collier for the last several weeks and think it's such a beautiful pen. I also have been eyeing the Pearl. I think if I make a jump to an Edison I will probably go with one from this production line. I am curious about the Collier's size though. I have done the comparison of lengths and diameters and such but these are all so precise. I mean can someone really tell what a difference of 2-3 mm really means??? The biggest pen I have in my collection is probably a Vanishing Point (girth-wise) and a TWSBI 530 (lengthwise). Could someone tell me subjectively how the Collier would compare to either of these pens? Most other pens in my collection are on the small side. My mitt is probably a medium in size.

I do plan to attend the Dallas pen show again this year, so someone may have one there, but who knows. I don't think that Brian will be there.

Thanks for any input.

snedwos
August 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Try the Pen Plaza at Goulet Pens, they have taken standardised pictures of a lot of pens they sell, which should include all three pens you mentioned...

http://www.gouletpens.com/Pen_Plaza_s/1295.htm

I have just checked on there, and the Collier is waaay bigger than the VP or the 540 (no 530, but they are much the same aren't they?)

KrazyIvan
August 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I just did the same and yeah, the TWSBI 540 almost looks small compared to the Collier. Nice! That's closed but open, the TWSBI looks longer but less girthy.

Carole
August 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I just happened to have both pens on my desk when I read this, so I guess that's a sign from the Universe to post a quick photo.
Too bad the Universe doesn't know that I'm tech-impaired. I hope this works.

(FYI-The Edison Collier is the original antique marble color which I think now may not be available.)

The Collier doesn't post and I use the Twsbi 540 un-posted. Both are outsanding for long-distance writing. I
couldn't get the tape measure to lie flat for a comparison, but I don't notice a significant difference, though I'd say the Edison grip section is better.

I hope this helps, somewhat?

markt
August 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the comparison shot. I've tried all the comparison options at Goulet's, etc. Your subjective assessment is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I don't post either, even with my Pelikan M200. If I may ask, in what way is the grip section better on the Collier?

Carole
August 20th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the comparison shot. I've tried all the comparison options at Goulet's, etc. Your subjective assessment is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I don't post either, even with my Pelikan M200. If I may ask, in what way is the grip section better on the Collier?

Sure, of course you may ask! I think originally you asked about Collier v Twsbi and Collier v Pilot VP. So....subjectively: my take: of the 3:

The VP is the most convenient for everyday work situations (in my case). It drives me totally crazy to keep uncapping a pen, so the clickability of the VP gives it the win in that category. Why Pilot keeps putting that annoying clip on there the way they do is a great big mystery. Maybe just to make my life miserable. (I no longer have the VP, btw.)

Twsbi, of the 3, is the most versatile. I carry it around, use any ink I want, switch out nibs like crazy, and its fuel tank is the size of a Buick. It writes well, maintains easily, and again the size is large enough that your finger muscles don't cramp if you're writing all day.

And lastly, the Collier, It's simply the most sublime. I love it: the combination of the material (and I usually don't prefer acrylics but I think these these colors are beautifully blended, and the material seems 3- dimensional) , the size, and the design is just a knockout. RE the grip section, it's curved perfectly so that you can lightly hold the pen for long stretches of time. There's a graceful back-stop built in, so your fingers don't slide into the nib region. I do write a lot, and my Collier has a star-quality nib. Heaven-7.

Also, there's that immediate creative connection with the Edison because the guy who designed and built it, is alive and working right now and we could get in touch and talk to him if we feel like it. (Well, okay, I couldn't, due to that last pesky court order. ;) But, you know what I mean here, I think.)

I hope you get a chance to look through the Edison materials, you may find one that just magically speaks to you and makes you feel fantastic every time you see the pen. Which is why I love mine.

Hope this helps!

snedwos
August 22nd, 2012, 04:05 AM
Oops, I misread "subjectively" as "objectively"... I'm glad someone could help. Those are three pens that are on my want list...

markt
August 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ok. I was convinced. I just pulled the trigger on ordering one. Thanks for the input to my questions.

markt
August 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Just received my Antique Marble Collier. It is stunning! I think I have spent more time looking at it than writing with it. Heck, when I am writing with it, I can't take my eyes off the pen.....resulting in some pretty crappy penmanship. The fine stainless nib is very smooth and requires absolutely no pressure to lay a line on paper. My concerns about the size were unwarranted. This is by far my largest pen to date, but it is very comfortable in the hand. Excellent job, Edison!!! This may not be my last Edison.

bgray
August 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Just received my Antique Marble Collier. It is stunning! I think I have spent more time looking at it than writing with it. Heck, when I am writing with it, I can't take my eyes off the pen.....resulting in some pretty crappy penmanship. The fine stainless nib is very smooth and requires absolutely no pressure to lay a line on paper. My concerns about the size were unwarranted. This is by far my largest pen to date, but it is very comfortable in the hand. Excellent job, Edison!!! This may not be my last Edison.

Many Thanks!

I SOOOOO wanted to jump in on this thread earlier with my 2 cents on overall size, nibs, etc...but I always feel weird doing this...

...just wanted to say THANKS....

Brian at Edison

The Ruffled Quill
August 27th, 2012, 11:56 PM
You do know that the Collier is a Gateway pen! One Edison is never enough!