PDA

View Full Version : LI Pen Show 2015!

fountainpenkid
March 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM
It's hard for me to believe, but it has been 2 years since I attended last. I really, really hope to make it this year, and hope to meet some of you there! For those who got the notification postcard in the mail, what do you think the list of vendors on the back? Does anyone have any ideas as to the size it will be? (has it grown since 2013?)

Can't wait!

fpquest
March 7th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Last year the room they use was remodeled. So it was brighter and easier to move around. It seemed bigger but I didn't count or compare vendors so it may have just looked bigger.

Crazyorange
March 7th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I'm going on Saturday. Anyone else going? I would love to meet some of our members.

Winnie
March 7th, 2015, 09:07 AM
My husband and I will be going on Saturday. Last year was our first show, and we had a lovely time. it was a good size, not overwhelming. i am so looking forward to it! I made a list of things I want to try and a few I am hoping to buy!

earthdawn
March 7th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Ya ya .... I will be there Saturday !!!!

I HAVE to work Sunday... as usual... grrrrrrrr

But Saturday is a go and I can't wait !!!

All you nerds out there that can find me will get some goodies...

I have LE Bookmarks in route right now and a bag of the new Matte finish Fountain Pen Day pins :)

I am going to try and make some of the 3.5x5.5 notebooks to bring as well.

earthdawn
March 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
And the LE Bookmarks arrived today !!

fountainpenkid
March 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM

Those look great!

earthdawn
March 10th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Those look great!

Thanks Will ... and if you don't make it I will be sure to send you some... and a new Matte finish pin as well.

Hope to see you there.

Crazyorange
March 10th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Can I pick so extra for pen pal tuck ins?

earthdawn
March 10th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Can I pick so extra for pen pal tuck ins?

Without a doubt. I ordered a LOT to be sure there was plenty for both days.

like 2,000 actually lol

They will be easy to get as you come in but if you want more than 1 or 2... which you do just find me and Ill get you plenty.

Crazyorange
March 10th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Thank you :)
Everybody loves tuck ins with their letter. It's fun to pass on goodies.

penultress
March 10th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Cary, I'll be there on Saturday too! Hope to finally meet you and of course a bunch of the Big Apple Pen Club members will be there including the president!
Julie

earthdawn
March 10th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Cary, I'll be there on Saturday too! Hope to finally meet you and of course a bunch of the Big Apple Pen Club members will be there including the president!
Julie

AWESOME...

Looking froward to it... Ill be the tall guy in the FPD T-shirt ... I'd say hoodie but it get to hot inside.

earthdawn
March 10th, 2015, 10:31 PM
FYI ... Just got this email from Terry .... All who are coming need to read carefully... see whats in red !!!

Whoa baby .... there is my new goal of the show !!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the ninth Long Island Pen Show and promises to be the best so far. The usual suspects will be there:

Ron and Robyn Zorn of Mainstreet Pens doing onsite repairs
Richard and Barbara Binder will be grinding and tuning nibs
Susan Wirth will be helping visitors find just the right Pen for writing with flair and panache
Lisa and Brian Anderson of Anderson Pens will be Esterbrooking and offing an awesomely wide range of writing equipment and supplies including inks.
Kenro Industries, US distributors of Aurora, Omas, Montegrapa, Tibaldi and Sheaffer Pens
Fountain Pen Hospital will be offering a wide range of wonderful pens
I will be representing The Paper Trail offering lots and lots of Exaclair Products including Rhodia Pads in many sizes and colors.
Famous Author and Creator of the Black Pen Society, Paul Erano, will be exhibiting
David Isaacson of (bleep) fame will be exhibiting again with a special showing and review of late plastic Moores of the 94-A variety
Andy Beliveau will be showing his phenomenal silver work
Mario Campa of Toys in the Attic will be back again
John Corwin and his Flex nib pens will also return
Bob Novak of NYC pens will be showing some really fine writing instruments
and much more

Attending for the fist time this year will be

The Indy-Pen-Dance with Mike & Linda Kennedy tuning and grinding and repair onsite

Jim Baer, Monomoy Vintage Pens, will be offering onsite repairs also in addition to many fine writing instruments.

St. Dupont will be exhibiting some very fine writing instruments

Pen World Magazine will be offering a free sample and discounted subscriptions

Winnie
March 11th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I hope to see you there on Sat. Earthdawn. I thank you for sharing the fun details too. I knew about some of them, but not others.

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Will there be any classes?

earthdawn
March 11th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Will there be any classes?

Ya know that's a good question that I am not sure of.

On the site I found this link
http://www.lipenshow.com/gpage2.html

But elsewhere it says that the writing class is from 12-1 not 1-2 though both say it is just Sunday.

Susan Wirth is AWESOME and will help anyone within ear shot.

Crazyorange
March 12th, 2015, 05:43 AM
I love Susan's table. Tons of fun.

Where do you go for lunch?

Wile E Coyote
March 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I love Susan's table. Tons of fun.

Where do you go for lunch?

There is a food court, though many vendors were closed last year. You could eat off campus, Garden City has a lot of restaurants.

klpeabody
March 14th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Many thanks to Dancingfountain and Crazyorange for a great day today at the LI Pen Show! Being my first pen show, you helped make it a very memorable one.
Good times!

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I had a blast too. Klpeabody it was a pure pleasure to meet you :) Fondling your Edison's was wonderful. Dancingfountain was my copilot and thank god for her guidance....made driving in the rain bearable. The show was a great break from the last boring days of winter.

klpeabody
March 14th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I had a blast too. Klpeabody it was a pure pleasure to meet you :) Fondling your Edison's was wonderful. Dancingfountain was my copilot and thank god for her guidance....made driving in the rain bearable. The show was a great break from the last boring days of winter.

Thanks so much for letting me fondle your Viscontis! I may have caught a case of Visconti-itis. It's such good fun to play with other people's pens. =)

Despite the drive in the pouring rain, it was a much needed break from winter. Thank goodness for that, right?

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Totally!!! People make the show. Now I just need to work on getting you to DC show;)

klpeabody
March 14th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I admit that I was thinking about how I might get myself to DC during my three-hour ride home tonight. We'll have to talk about it!

earthdawn
March 14th, 2015, 08:19 PM
AWESOME SHOW !!!!

Best year I have seen yet. Packed until around 3 I would say. Filtered down and gathered steam and by 430 it was winding down but there were plenty of people still there getting grinds and buying up some well needed loot.

Missed you 2 !!... Klpeabody & Crazyorange.

I was there from 11-5 ... the rain was a .. well you know. Man the Northern State Pky was riddled with potholes!

Met a lot of the Bog Apple Pen Club and so many others.... The Devils Dictionary was there.. Hi "M" :-) AWESOME new pens she has!

So here are some pics for those who missed it.

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Earthdawn, I'm sorry I missed you at the show. I was keeping an eye out for "the Fountain Pen Day guy", too. =) Looks like we were there for the same time. I arrived around 10:30 am (would have been earlier if it wasn't for all the rain and fog), and left around 4:00 pm-ish.

Meeting Plistumi and seeing her journals, first-hand, was one of the highlights for sure!

You are right about the potholes. There were a couple of those on the way home that almost ate my car.

Sailor Kenshin
March 15th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I missed it this year. :(

Saturday I was literally under the weather; little bit better today but not up to snuff. My schedule seems to be every other year, lol.

Thanks everyone for the reports and pictures! Last year I snagged a MB Generations for what I think was a decent price. This year I made up for it by buying a Sailor Procolor RIGHT HERE IN FPG, lol.

But I'm still sad I missed the show.

Laura N
March 15th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Oh. My. Gosh. So jealous. All of you together? No wonder crazyorange did not reply to my email.

Someone needs to send me a photo! I mean right now. Hmmmph. :baby:

Forget DC; it's hot and humid. You all need to road trip to Chicago this May. A very lovely time of year, no joke, and we're doing an FPG meetup. And I'll bring refreshments.

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Yeah....the pot holes could eat your car. That was one rough ride.

fountainpenkid
March 15th, 2015, 10:19 AM
It looks like it was (is) a great show this year! I am very sad I am too short of time and cash to make it.

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Saturday I was literally under the weather; little bit better today but not up to snuff. My schedule seems to be every other year, lol.

Thanks everyone for the reports and pictures! Last year I snagged a MB Generations for what I think was a decent price. This year I made up for it by buying a Sailor Procolor RIGHT HERE IN FPG, lol.

I looked for you!!! =)
Sorry that you weren't feeling well. Perhaps we'll meet next year?

earthdawn
March 15th, 2015, 01:28 PM
OK...

so for 2016 ... lol

I will ask Terry for a Table and we can meet up there. I know the Big Apple Pen Club was there and they were so nice to meet finally. Terry also said he is looking for ways to revive the LI Pen Club. So getting a small table setup in probably the corner of the left side, its usually open there, I or we can set a sign in sheet so that the FPGeeks, Big Apple Pen Club and LI Pen Club can all meet up for some pen time.

AND ~~~~ The Easterbrook I got from Mr. Easterbrook himself Brian Anderson. I got to see the new Esterbrooks in person as they have the 2 they bought and they were very kind in there assessment ,,, they are just cheap Chinese pens. It was a runny reality to realize someone had bought such a good name and just threw it away to try and make a quick buck.

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 01:41 PM
OK...

so for 2016 ... lol

I will ask Terry for a Table and we can meet up there. I know the Big Apple Pen Club was there and they were so nice to meet finally. Terry also said he is looking for ways to revive the LI Pen Club. So getting a small table setup in probably the corner of the left side, its usually open there, I or we can set a sign in sheet so that the FPGeeks, Big Apple Pen Club and LI Pen Club can all meet up for some pen time.

AND ~~~~ The Easterbrook I got from Mr. Easterbrook himself Brian Anderson. I got to see the new Esterbrooks in person as they have the 2 they bought and they were very kind in there assessment ,,, they are just cheap Chinese pens. It was a runny reality to realize someone had bought such a good name and just threw it away to try and make a quick buck.

Next year, we will definitely have to get ourselves organized and set up a meeting place. Whether it is at a table inside, or at the clock in front of the student center, or at sbarro for lunch at a particular time, or what have you...we must do it. REALLY sorry that I missed you.

I confess that at one point, I had the fleeting urge to hold up a sign saying "I'm from FPGEEKS...who's here????" LOL. Kinda wish I did now.

We'll get it together for next year. =)

Jon Szanto
March 15th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I confess that at one point, I had the fleeting urge to hold up a sign saying "I'm from FPGEEKS...who's here????" LOL. Kinda wish I did now.

Just a reminder, for those reading who might have a similar feeling about outing themselve: there is the Real Life Me (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10406-Real-Life-Me-a-place-to-introduce-yourself-and-share-your-days) thread, where you can introduce yourself (visually, as well), and it makes it so much handier when you go to pen shows and think to yourself "hey, that person looks familiar!" I won't suggest this for everyone, but if you are of a mind to try to meet up out in the physical world, no reason to not put your mug up and say "Hi!".

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Just a reminder, for those reading who might have a similar feeling about outing themselve: there is the Real Life Me (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10406-Real-Life-Me-a-place-to-introduce-yourself-and-share-your-days) thread, where you can introduce yourself (visually, as well), and it makes it so much handier when you go to pen shows and think to yourself "hey, that person looks familiar!" I won't suggest this for everyone, but if you are of a mind to try to meet up out in the physical world, no reason to not put your mug up and say "Hi!".

Good suggestion. That's actually how I found Crazyorange. =)

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 06:59 PM

Good suggestion. That's actually how I found Crazyorange. =)

Snagged!! I had the same problem at other shows. A table would be great to meet others.

david i
March 15th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I am honored to have Bleep Fame.

-d

Sailor Kenshin
March 15th, 2015, 07:05 PM

I looked for you!!! =)
Sorry that you weren't feeling well. Perhaps we'll meet next year?

Oooo, I hope so! Thanks.

plistumi
March 16th, 2015, 07:00 PM

-d

Well, doesn't the dark lord of bleep fame have good timing. Check out the number of posts. Muah hah hahahahahah .... ack!.. choke! Ahem.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff219/plistumi/Screenshot-2015-03-16_20.51.57.png (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/plistumi/media/Screenshot-2015-03-16_20.51.57.png.html)

rgperedo
March 16th, 2015, 11:33 PM
I made it to the show on saturday as well. It was definitely a nice turn out from what I could tell. Many of the tables were packed at around 1:30ish. I will eventually post the few photos I took. Cheers.

earthdawn
March 17th, 2015, 12:53 AM
OK...

so for 2016 ... lol

Next year, we will definitely have to get ourselves organized and set up a meeting place. Whether it is at a table inside, or at the clock in front of the student center, or at sbarro for lunch at a particular time, or what have you...we must do it. REALLY sorry that I missed you.

We'll get it together for next year. =)

Ya know whats funny is if you did yell that out I bet after the few seconds of silence lol ... that you would have found yourself surrounded by quite a few people. AND all of them would be grateful you did it.

Of course the reality is, at least for me, I don't have the guts to do something like that. But I guarantee you it would have worked and worked well.

earthdawn
March 17th, 2015, 03:11 PM

-d

I get it now ......

I thought the show was amazing ... and now I know it could have been a lot more had I realized .... that you were there !!!

So that's embarrassing to say the very least and disappointing as I would have liked to of sat and chatted.

My 3rd year there and I still miss so much... 6 hours was not even close to enough time.

klpeabody
March 17th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I made it to the show on saturday as well. It was definitely a nice turn out from what I could tell. Many of the tables were packed at around 1:30ish. I will eventually post the few photos I took. Cheers.

Looking forward to seeing them! I am sorry that I missed you, also. Had I known you were there, I would have enjoyed meeting you.

earthdawn
March 18th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Found a ton of photos of the show in the link below.

http://falgerho.com/?p=2483