PDA

View Full Version : FPG History

sharmon202
March 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Being the mostly anal type person I went looking for information in the past couple of weeks. I specifically was looking for a forum/site history. Who, what, when, where, why, and how kind of thing, about this site. I did not find anything. Did I miss it or not know where to look?

When did this begin? Who started it? How did some people get together and decide to go out on your own? How many here from the start, who are you? I have been to other fp sites and realized quickly that was not for me so I kind of understand how some people would want something different than that. What were the growth numbers, not gobbeldy gook like I read recently in another forum, if you have seen that in soliciting memberships.

How did this different culture develop vs turning into the other type of culture as has been mentioned several times over the last couple of weeks. I am not asking for someone to say this person or that person is THE reason as I am sure that is not so. I do not want this to turn into a support or blame thread. We have evidently kept a lot of people around for some time.
Anyone want to comment or write a history for new people?

I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker. I really love being here and associating with all of you, yes ALL, even you Special K.

carlos.q
March 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Inquiring minds want to know.... :wink:

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Inquiring minds want to know.... :wink:

Same here.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 11th, 2015, 06:49 PM
EDIT

I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker.

I may be missing something here, perhaps lost in the translation, but exactly what anal information are you looking for? :confused:

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I may be missing something here, perhaps lost in the translation, but exactly what anal information are you looking for? :confused:

Not the type you bend over for.

TerraNoir
March 11th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Not the type you bend over for.

:pound: Too much!!!

Scrawler
March 11th, 2015, 07:28 PM
...I am a question asker as well as an anal information seeker.

I can recommend a proctologist who can give you all the information that you could possibly want.

gweddig
March 11th, 2015, 07:52 PM
You could start here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100408141240/http://www.fpgeeks.com/

Farmboy
March 11th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Crudely translated I'd say diameter and depth are the obvious dimensions.

sharmon202
March 12th, 2015, 01:41 AM
How about I just withdraw the question. Never mind.

Neo
March 12th, 2015, 05:40 AM

I think ink they're just teasing your choice of words, don't feel bad. Although as a newish member myself, I would also appreciate some info from those who can provide it.

sharmon202
March 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM

I think ink they're just teasing your choice of words, don't feel bad. Although as a newish member myself, I would also appreciate some info from those who can provide it.

I know what they are doing and do not appreciate it, do not think it is funny. Be a while before I try this again!

Chris Pen
March 12th, 2015, 09:23 AM

I know what they are doing and do not appreciate it, do not think it is funny. Be a while before I try this again!

I wouldn't take it personally, if I were you. I think people are just joking and having fun.

I also think that the timing of your question may have played a part in the responses you got. Ultimately, beyond the info in the link provided, we would have to hear from Eric, Dan or anyone else involved with starting the site, and at this particular point in time I think they have other things on their minds.

Laura N
March 12th, 2015, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't take it personally, if I were you. I think people are just joking and having fun.

I also think that the timing of your question may have played a part in the responses you got. Ultimately, beyond the info in the link provided, we would have to hear from Eric, Dan or anyone else involved with starting the site, and at this particular point in time I think they have other things on their minds.

This.

To expand, it's a site with a lot of people who like to joke around. Which we have been allowed to do here. Which we appreciate. For example, yesterday I posted that a friend should "blow it out your ear," which was a joke, referring to an earlier joke. Which now makes me think I better go back and scrub that, lest future readers think I'm not light-hearted so much as aggressive and unhinged. Really, I'm the latter only when driving.* :)

*Another joke. :)

Farmboy
March 12th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Since I made a colorful comment I should explain why.

The subject, history of FPGeeks, is a hot button issue. The subject is a very polarizing 'as in people are taking sides' issue with few established facts. The principals involved are not talking which is actually appropriate yet there is a clear line that has been drawn and people are choosing sides.

I and several others tried to interject our unusual flavor of humor into the situation to prevent the thread tipping into another he said she said flame out.

No offense was intended.

Greg provided a link to an early version of the website via the web archive. It is a good place to look.

Farmboy

Jon Szanto
March 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Following up on the three previous posters' wise words: at times of high stress, humor can be an important safety valve. I am certain that no one was going out of their way to make fun of you, but rather, attempting to use the material to spin off in a humorous direction. As someone who has been quite virtiolic and dark at times, with regard to the recent developments, I also try to leaven it with silliness. I am confident my fellow forum denizens were looking at it in a similar fashion.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Oh drat! So I'll have to put away my book - "Everything you wanted to know about proctology but were afraid to ask" - then?

Crazyorange
March 12th, 2015, 05:34 PM

Don't let us get to you. We understand you're upset. I'm still interested in the history but it's not going to be documented because of the "poop" hitting the fan. Sorry couldn't help myself. Truly we are good bunch of people who need a bit of humor this week.

Scrawler
March 12th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Since I made a colorful comment I should explain why.

The subject, history of FPGeeks, is a hot button issue. The subject is a very polarizing 'as in people are taking sides' issue with few established facts. The principals involved are not talking which is actually appropriate yet there is a clear line that has been drawn and people are choosing sides.

I and several others tried to interject our unusual flavor of humor into the situation to prevent the thread tipping into another he said she said flame out.

No offense was intended.

Greg provided a link to an early version of the website via the web archive. It is a good place to look.

Farmboy
I am not taking sides. Indeed, it would be disingenuous for me to do so. I am a relatively new member of this club and I do not really know either the principals, or the argument. I came here for relief from some of the dour and humourless denizens of other places. I came here because I saw wordplay, humour and a love of fountain pens. I contribute because I want this to continue. I have practically fallen in love with some of the people in here who write to me. In the culture in which I grew up, people would invite humourous response with the word forms they used, and by the standards of my upbringing, if a person uses a word, or humourous phrase, twice in a paragraph, it is an invitation to ribald response. Why else, to my way of thinking, would someone deliberately attract attention to an idea, if they did not seek this? Offense is received, not given, and I stand by the twofold intent of my comment, which were both to give a witty response to the words used and to express my opinion of the direction the subject matter had the potential to go.

gweddig
March 12th, 2015, 11:04 PM

Farmboy

Though I wasn't here at the beginning and was rarely on the main fpgeeks page, I was surprised to see that nib and pen repair services were offered at the beginning. I thought that it was only a recent development.

--greg

Flounder
March 13th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Me too.