PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Studio?

A.D.D.i.c.t.
August 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hello all. I recently received a charcoal Safari, fine nib. While I like the pen for what it is, it's not satisfying me. The nib has just a bit of tooth, which may smooth out, and I'm getting some noticeable nib creep. This is likely because it is inked with Noodlers BBK currently, so not a big deal really. Also, I would have preferred either the EF nib for a finer line, or the medium for just a bit more flow. The fine nib doesn't feel "right". Overall, I'm wanting more. I'm considering the SS Studio with a 1.1mm stub nib.
Do you love your Studio?
If so, elaborate...

the addiction continues...

manoeuver
August 22nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
I don't have a Studio, but it's a sweet looking pen. Others here can better attest to its merits.

Your nib issues are rather simple to address on their own however.

Try using a paper grocery bag to smooth the nib you have. just scribble circles on it (both directions) for a while and see what happens. You can buy replacement nibs for your Safari at Jetpens.com. at about $11 each it's a reasonable way to try a variety of nibs. I learned at the Dc show you can get a gold nib that will fit a safari (although they go for about $75.)

Good luck amd buy a Studio anyway.

etoyoc
August 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
Studio nibs are the same nibs that are on the Safari, vista, al-star, and joy. Some of them have a bit of tooth and they are not always consistent from one nib to another on line thickness. However, this is a problem with almost any manufacturer. In regards to nib creep - my Lamy pens are all prone to a bit of nib creep. Some inks make it far worse than others. When I tried the warren series (bad heron, bad etc...) nib creep was an issue. I never used BBK though.

FLJeepGuy
August 22nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
I love my Studio. It's one of the pens in my collection that frequently makes it into my inked rotation. I highly recommend them and am looking to get one of the Royal Red LEs shortly.

As others have said, the Lamy nibs are interchangeable, inexpensive (if you stick with the steel ones) and easy to swap, so you might just want to get another nib or two to use. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting another pen, but it would be a shame to move on to another pen and let this one languish without attempting to correct it. I know someone mentioned JetPens as a source for nibs. I'll throw The Goulet Pen Company (http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Extra_Nibs_Converters_s/938.htm) out there as well. I've always had excellent service from them and they carry the full line of nibs.

The toothy feel of your current nib may be caused by misaligned tines. You should always check tine alignment before starting any smoothing processes. Take a look at the tip of the nib with a loupe or magnifying glass and make sure the tines are vertically even. If one tine is slightly higher than the other, gently move it with your thumbnail to bend it back in place. The key here is gentle bending in an up or down direction only. Don't move it too far or bend it away from the feed or other tine if you can help it. Once the tines are even, test write with it and see if it is smoother. Only after insuring the tines are properly aligned should you try any smoothing.

KrazyIvan
August 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
I really like my Studio with 1.1mm nib. Keep in mind that it is substantially heavier than the Safari and some don't like the metal section as it can be slippery. I would suggest getting a 1.1 mm nib and put it on your Safari first. This way you will know if you like the nibbage or not. Then, if you can deal with a heavier pen, buy the Studio with nib of your choice and transplant your 1.1, depending on the nib you get.

A.D.D.i.c.t.
August 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

the addiction continues...

markt
August 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I want to confirm what others have said. I would try a replacement 1.1 nib first to see if you like it. Nibs are dirt-easy to replace. I personally have issues with the slick section of the Studio. I love the look and feel (weight/balance) of the Studio, but the section is just annoying to me. Maybe I just have greasy fingers. I keep bringing it back into my pen rotation, but I just don't go for it first if I have other pens lying on my desk.

JustDaveyB
August 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
I want to confirm what others have said. I would try a replacement 1.1 nib first to see if you like it. Nibs are dirt-easy to replace. I personally have issues with the slick section of the Studio. I love the look and feel (weight/balance) of the Studio, but the section is just annoying to me. Maybe I just have greasy fingers. I keep bringing it back into my pen rotation, but I just don't go for it first if I have other pens lying on my desk.

If you don't like the chrome nib section buy the brushed stainless steel version as it has a black plastic nib section - I tend to just swap the nib section over if the pen is inked in summer. I own three Studios (Brushed stainless, Black and Blue) and find them good solid workhorse pens. I echo the above remarks about the nibs being dead easy to change.

My blog has quite a few posts about my Studios just scroll to the bottom and click the tag Lamy or this http://justdaveyb.com/tag/lamy/

KrazyIvan
August 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
You can get the plastic section for $25 direct from Lamy and add it to any color Studio you want.

UK Mike
May 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
The Studio is a great pen and feels far more grown-up than the Safari and Al-Star. Apart from the filling mechanism I would say it stands comparison with the Lamy 2000 at less than half the price.

velo
May 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
I recently got a stainless steel Lamy Studio with a fine nib and I like it a lot. The grip section is a lot more comfortable to hold than my Al-Stars/Vista. I agree that it feels like a more "grown up" pen. I almost got the Lamy 2000 but the Studio with its converter/cartridges makes it more versatile for me.

I have a Lamy 1.1 nib but it has to be held at a certain angle or it catches. The line variation isn't so pronounced to make it worthwhile for me to use it.

Bogon07
May 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
The Studio is a great pen and feels far more grown-up than the Safari and Al-Star. Apart from the filling mechanism I would say it stands comparison with the Lamy 2000 at less than half the price.
Not if you get the $$$$$$hiny Platinum model.
The Palladium & Grey Platinum are also expensive due to their gold nibs.

I recently got a stainless steel Lamy Studio with a fine nib and I like it a lot. The grip section is a lot more comfortable to hold than my Al-Stars/Vista. I agree that it feels like a more "grown up" pen. I almost got the Lamy 2000 but the Studio with its converter/cartridges makes it more versatile for me.

I have a Lamy 1.1 nib but it has to be held at a certain angle or it catches. The line variation isn't so pronounced to make it worthwhile for me to use it.
The Lamy italics are very sensitive to the writing angle. Remember they are not stub nibs. I'm tempted one day to try smoothing the corners of one.

Joker
May 3rd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Send your Safari to a pro and make it write like you would want. (that is if you dont want to do it yourself.) Your nib and feed issue might not be taken care of with the Studio. It might be heaver or feel more solid. But if the nib and feed are the same you are right back where you started.

velo
May 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM

The Lamy italics are very sensitive to the writing angle. Remember they are not stub nibs. I'm tempted one day to try smoothing the corners of one.

I'm new to Italic nibs so that's good to know. It's a shame they don't have a stub version for sale.

Bogon07
May 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM

I'm new to Italic nibs so that's good to know. It's a shame they don't have a stub version for sale.
Yes a cursive stub set would be great then you could stick them a whole range of Lamy fountain pens.

UK Mike
May 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I accept the 14k Studios are expensive. The Platinum Grey and Palladium versions of the Studio with the 14k nibs are currently around £130 compared with the 2000 at £149 and the Studio steel nib version at £40 - which just underlines what an amazing bargain the standard Studio has become.