PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Shaeffer Imperial I, II and III ?

lowks
March 12th, 2015, 10:16 PM
What is the difference between Shaeffer Imperial I, II and III ? Looking at the different types they have on ebay not sure which one to get.

HughC
March 13th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Aviod the I, I'll expand when I get a bit of freetime later.

HughC
March 13th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Th Imperial I was designed as a virtually disposable pen and not easy to restore, that's the prime reason to avoid the I. The II and III are basically the same pen with different caps so if you like metal go for the II, if plastic then the III. Personally I think it's worth looking at a IV, VI or an VIII, the benefits of a solid gold nib and a spring loaded clip are worth the extra cost. If your looking for a really nice user the gold plated cartridge/converter '70's model Imperials are not that much more and offer very good value for money, my preferred carry pen and has been for a number of years because they offer timeless looks, quality and if lost not that serious on the hip pocket!! I hope this helps.

Regards
Hugh

lowks
March 13th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Th Imperial I was designed as a virtually disposable pen and not easy to restore, that's the prime reason to avoid the I. The II and III are basically the same pen with different caps so if you like metal go for the II, if plastic then the III. Personally I think it's worth looking at a IV, VI or an VIII, the benefits of a solid gold nib and a spring loaded clip are worth the extra cost. If your looking for a really nice user the gold plated cartridge/converter '70's model Imperials are not that much more and offer very good value for money, my preferred carry pen and has been for a number of years because they offer timeless looks, quality and if lost not that serious on the hip pocket!! I hope this helps.

Regards
Hugh

Thznks !! Helped a lot

lowjax
April 9th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Great info here. I have picked up a Sheaffer Imperial II and didn't know what the differences were.

If I can ask another question, what's the difference between the Imperial II's and the 440s? They look and feel identical except for the overall length.

dgator
April 9th, 2015, 08:15 PM
What is the difference between Shaeffer Imperial I, II and III ? Looking at the different types they have on ebay not sure which one to get.
I find the penhero website quite informative...

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferImperialsEarly.htm

HughC
April 9th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Great info here. I have picked up a Sheaffer Imperial II and didn't know what the differences were.

If I can ask another question, what's the difference between the Imperial II's and the 440s? They look and feel identical except for the overall length.

The Imperial II is mostly seen in touchdown filler although cartridge models are around. The 440 is a cartridge only pen and has a different shaped nib and is a later model. The Imperial IIs cap posts better as well.

Regards
Hugh

lowjax
April 9th, 2015, 09:42 PM

The Imperial II is mostly seen in touchdown filler although cartridge models are around. The 440 is a cartridge only pen and has a different shaped nib and is a later model. The Imperial IIs cap posts better as well.

Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh. I do have a converter in my 440 and it is working fine.

I was a bit surprised when I took apart the Sheaffer Imperial II to try to put a converter in it and found the touchdown filler in it. I guess I have a lot to learn yet.

Jon Szanto
April 10th, 2015, 12:42 AM
The Imperial IIs cap posts better as well.

Regards
Hugh

No kidding. I have two different Imperial II pens, and while I love them in look, finish, and writing, they can't post for crap and are too small/light unposted. Hard lesson learned.

HughC
April 10th, 2015, 05:44 AM

Regards
Hugh

No kidding. I have two different Imperial II pens, and while I love them in look, finish, and writing, they can't post for crap and are too small/light unposted. Hard lesson learned.

So don't buy a 440...

Jon Szanto
April 10th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Regards
Hugh

So don't buy a 440...

Well... I haven't, after those two! ;)

lowjax
April 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Hmm, I have both the 440 and Imperial II and they seem to post fine. I love my vintage Sheaffers.

HughC
April 12th, 2015, 05:19 AM

Regards
Hugh

So don't buy a 440...

Well... I haven't, after those two! ;)

Well Jon I, too, find a lot of those Imperials lack in a few areas. These where up against the Parker 45, given it was probably the best pen for money for several decades, and it was simply better built and a better user pen doesn't reflect that well on a number of the Imperial models. The base model "Dolphin 500" was a great pen, matching the 45 in a lot of areas, why Sheaffer didn't do more with this model is "food for thought". Of those early Imperials the VI is the pick imo, the SS cap makes the difference. Likewise into the '70's the bottom end (330, 440 etc) just felt cheap, again the P45 had them licked. But...move up a notch...and the metal Sheaffers well and truly stand up !! I prefer my metal 70's Sheaffer Imperials to the Parker 61/65 metal pens, interestingly it's about the balance that Sheaffer achieves v the deep posting of the Parkers. Anyway to get to the point , I wouldn't bother with the Imperial II as a user either but like you I've plenty of other choices !!

Regards
Hugh

HughC
April 12th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Hmm, I have both the 440 and Imperial II and they seem to post fine. I love my vintage Sheaffers.

Well Jeff both where lower end pens designed to provide a value for money quality writing pen, and they did just that courtesy of the quality of their nibs and build. That nearly 50 years later ( in the case of the Imp. II ) these are still in regular use speaks for itself as far as durability goes !! I really think the 440 ( and the rest from that era) don't post well in comparison to the obvious competitor the P45, to me it's a failure in design that you need to give the cap a bit of a twist for it "grip" well. In every other aspect it's great, the nib is excellent, the build quality good and it's a handsome pen.

Regards
Hugh